The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
suggestions for warming synths ! Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

suggestions for warming synths !

Hey,

I'm on the look out for something to run my synths through before they go to PT LE

Any good suggestions for something lowend - I'm looking for abit of obvious colour really rather than transparent, basically looking for something to round off those harsh highs in LE. As at the mo the tracks go straight in using the mbox pre's and AD

thanks
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
Indian blankets are warm and colorful.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikumoto View Post
Hey,

I'm on the look out for something to run my synths through before they go to PT LE

Any good suggestions for something lowend - I'm looking for abit of obvious colour really rather than transparent, basically looking for something to round off those harsh highs in LE. As at the mo the tracks go straight in using the mbox pre's and AD

thanks
I get good results using good DIs. ( transformers and tubes)..I'm not going to PT, but still the synths sounds good thru the DIs!..
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

We run our 16 outputs (Kurzweils) to our DAW inputs --with channel editing on each (ROLAND VS)
Old 30th August 2007
tubes.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Yeah, tube DI, compressor, eq or at least transformer based DI.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

how cheap are you looking to go?

The Groove Tubes Brick is cool.
Just remember: Not all tube preamps are created equal, so if you cheap out on the pre, don't expect anything less obvious than lots o' distortion when you crank the input stage.

In the DI realm, the Radial J48mkII is pretty sweet. And it really does make a sonic difference.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

1+ for tubes

Anything that is designed for the sole purpose of providing more warmth is going to be your best option.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
The reddi into a nice warm sounding comp ( just going through the circuits of an la2a with no compression works for me ) can work wonders.

In the plug in world the cranesong phoenix, sans amp and voxengo tapebus all work well to give cold sounding synths a little attitude and warmth.
Old 30th August 2007

How bout something like a JoeMeek channel?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

It might sound crazy, but I tryed running my Yamaha DX 21 into a boss sp 202 sampler, and using filters on it, and that gave me a lot warmer sound that I really liked.
I actually think that any kind of filter box will give you "warmth". Electrix made a good eq/filter combo a while ago
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
germanium pre?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

sounds like you're using external synths? But in case you're using virtual, I find that running them out my Apogge coverters, thru my UA 2-610 (any good pre would do here), thru a comp (I use the Fatso, but my FMR RNLA is great too) an dback thru the Apogees does wonders for how it sits in the mix.
Something about .wav files instead of internal virtual synth bouncing seems to make it gel much better. Even using decent converters out, thru a decent pre and back in again will make a huge difference.
good luck!
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

"Electrix made a good eq/filter combo a while ago"

Just a touch of the Electrix Filter Factory "warms up" my Roland D-50, more extreme settings turn it into a completely different sounding "analog" machine!

"germanium pre?"

I plan on getting the Chandler Tone Control for bass and a few other applications, but I will certainly try running my synths through it and cranking that Germ a little!
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

OK ! cool, thanks for all of these suggestions by the way ! x

I'm in England, think I'm gona go for something in the £ 500'ish range....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search