The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
VTB-1 MS1B Dmp3 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

VTB-1 MS1B Dmp3

I know this is like an endless discussion, but i'm about to buy one of these so i just want to get some more opinion.

I'm gonna use this for vocal recording only, need only 1 channel. these are around the same price.

VTB-1: nothing wrong with this one, i just find it disturbing that some people have reported that they uses very very cheap parts (i have no idea if that's true), i've also heard it's not as good sounding as the other 2 (again no idea if that's true). cost: 100 cheapest out of them all

Dmp3: this is 2 channel, which is 1 extra than what i need, cost about 150 bucks, people says it's good for the money, but not particularly "better" than the VTB-1, so i'm thinking it might not be wise to waste an extra 50.

MS1B: um the consensus out there is that it's similar to the DMP3, but it've always been said to be "a little" better, and it's 1 channel, i'm thinking this is the one to buy, but again cost 150, not sure if it's "50 bucks better" than the VTB-1 haha.

I'm just looking for low budget stuff, i have an Audio Buddy that i've been using for a 4-5 months, it's helped me with the learning process and now i want to have an upgrade , not sure if 100 dollars preamp will be an upgrade :(.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I own all three. They are all adequate budget pres. None will impede you from making decent recordings, nor will one make your recordings particularly better than another. Just buy one and be done with it.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
I own all three. They are all adequate budget pres. None will impede you from making decent recordings, nor will one make your recordings particularly better than another. Just buy one and be done with it.
so save money n go with the VTB-1? i figure as much. thanks.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
The DI sections sounds good on the VTB-1 also.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
The DI sections sounds good on the VTB-1 also.
i don't think i'll ever have to use the DI, can't play any instruments lol
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've owned 4 VTB-1s and 2 DMP3s. Obviously the VTB-1 is a little more versatile with the adjustable tube blend. I like the metering on the DMP3 better, tho, and I think it's cleaner than the VTB-1. I'm not too big a fan of the DI on the VTB-1, although I've recorded keepers on it before.

For the price, you can't go wrong with either. The VTB-1 is a little easier to rack mount, although some crucial controls are on the back of both, making it a little frusterating at times. Also to note the DMP3 only has 1/4" out, while the VTB-1 has XLR.

Do you need two channels or just one?
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I've owned 4 VTB-1s and 2 DMP3s. Obviously the VTB-1 is a little more versatile with the adjustable tube blend. I like the metering on the DMP3 better, tho, and I think it's cleaner than the VTB-1. I'm not too big a fan of the DI on the VTB-1, although I've recorded keepers on it before.

For the price, you can't go wrong with either. The VTB-1 is a little easier to rack mount, although some crucial controls are on the back of both, making it a little frusterating at times. Also to note the DMP3 only has 1/4" out, while the VTB-1 has XLR.

Do you need two channels or just one?
just 1 channel, and also i don't need XLR out, i've always been using balanced TRS out, i find it a little easier to plug/unplug.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have the VTB1 and DMP3 here. They are both decent pres and you will be able to make good recordings with either. The DMP3 is cleaner than the VTB1 but the VTB1 is capable of more varied tones.
I'm in the process of modding my VTB1 because I found it does use cheap components (4580 OpAmps - same as Behringer) and will post my results when I'm done.
One thing to take into consideration is which mics will you be using?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Good point.

I found myself using the VTB-1s more with dynamic mics like 57s and e604s, while the DMP3s usually had SDC duty (and occasionally SM7b duty for bottom snare.) The DMP3s also have enough gain for ribbons as well.

Of course, I wouldn't limit myself to those guidelines, that's just how I ended up using them most of the time.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

I got an SM58, a CAD 177 and an MXL 990, mainly i use the CAD 177, the MXL is too brittle for my taste.

I'm leaning toward saving up and maybe get the bricks, that thing is around 330 new, not sure if it'll be an improvement, i heard so many good things about it.

There's also other consideration such as
Focusrite TrakMaster 270
ART MPA Gold 270
FMR RNP 425
VTB1 100
dmp3 140
Rane Ms1B 150
brick 330
TPS II 150

THe trakmaster is well, it's pretty good according to some people, some don't like it, it's got an EQ and a comp built on, however i'm so used to using plugins for those, so i'm not sure if it's just sitting there wasting.

Art MPA gold is a full votage tube pre (dual channel), it's got crapload of feature, and relatively cheap compare to the mid end stuff.

RNP is good according to alot of people, but i feel like i'm getting rip off, it's only a solid state pre like the Dmp3, why does it have to cost 450 dollars, that's rediculous, no transformer, no tube nothing, just a solid state.

VTB1: i like it, but people says "cheap components" makes me scare

DMP3: 2 channel that i might not need (only need one), other wise i think it could be a good candidate.

MS1B: 150 is kindda stiff if it's "the same" as dmp3 as people claim, although most of the time i heard it's better

TPS II: this is like a VTB-1 but 2 channel (look at it, most of the features are the same) i probably won't go for this one, i saw it new on ebay for 100 before, so that might be a better deal than a VTB1, but i probably won't need something like this.

The Brick: this is an expensive piece of gear (for me), man 330 is ALOT of a brick haha, not sure if it's worth it and it's better than those low end pre.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have the VTB1 and DMP3 here. They are both decent pres and you will be able to make good recordings with either. The DMP3 is cleaner than the VTB1 but the VTB1 is capable of more varied tones.
I'm in the process of modding my VTB1 because I found it does use cheap components (4580 OpAmps - same as Behringer) and will post my results when I'm done.
How are you doing this mod? Can you give more details?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
.....VTB1: i like it, but people says "cheap components" makes me scared....

Pardon me for belaboring the obvious, but of course they are cheap components. ALL of the units discussed use inexpensive components. These are inexpensive pres.

You pay more money for a pre and you will -- as a rule -- get a pre with more expensive components (and all the other things money can buy, like better QC, generally better design, more time and care taken during assembly, etc.). As a rule, that generally means you'll be using a tool of higher quality. Which in turn means things like lower noise floor, less distortion, and better preservation of the all-important transients.

It's all pretty straightforward.

But another very important point has already been made, and in fact is implied by the very existence of the Low End Forum.

You can record great music with ANY pre.

So have at it.

Cheers.

Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
How are you doing this mod? Can you give more details?
Well after talking to Mick Hinton over at Dav Electronics (makers of DAV BG1) he suggested using OP 275 OpAmps on all 4 OpAmp stages so I'll be doing this first and then I might look at changing some capacitors? Also might try a different tube aswell. Will let you know when this is done in a few weeks.

Another preamp for Warlock 110 to consider is the M-Audio Tampa. I've just bought one of these which should be here soon and I've heard nothing but high praise for this preamp!
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well after talking to Mick Hinton over at Dav Electronics (makers of DAV BG1) he suggested using OP 275 OpAmps on all 4 OpAmp stages so I'll be doing this first and then I might look at changing some capacitors? Also might try a different tube aswell. Will let you know when this is done in a few weeks.
Cool! Keep us posted!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
RNP is good according to alot of people, but i feel like i'm getting rip off, it's only a solid state pre like the Dmp3, why does it have to cost 450 dollars, that's rediculous, no transformer, no tube nothing, just a solid state.
This is a pretty uninformed thing to say. Many of the most well respected and most expensive pres are SS. C'mon!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Oh, and for the record, the difference between the DMP3 and the VTB1 is sort of negligible. They are sort of different sounding, but neither really sounds "better". Get either.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcollinge View Post
This is a pretty uninformed thing to say. Many of the most well respected and most expensive pres are SS. C'mon!
i think that SS pre are pretty cheap to make and they're making more profit than tube pre with transformer. I have no reference to how good they sound (and as you said, some of the top pre are SS) but i know for a fact they don't cost much to make, as we all know there's some DYI pre out there that "claims" to be as good as the top of the line SS pre that don't cost much. They're expensive but that don't mean they also cost alot to make.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think that SS pre are pretty cheap to make and they're making more profit than tube pre with transformer. I have no reference to how good they sound (and as you said, some of the top pre are SS) but i know for a fact they don't cost much to make, as we all know there's some DYI pre out there that "claims" to be as good as the top of the line SS pre that don't cost much. They're expensive but that don't mean they also cost alot to make.
If you read this in Elmer Fudd voice, its even more fudd, I mean fun........nose is clogged up, sorry...
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Head

I love the smell of low end theory in the morning.
Old 28th September 2007
Lives for gear

VTB1

I've had a vtb1 for 4-5 years and have gotten plenty of good sounds from it.
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i think that SS pre are pretty cheap to make and they're making more profit than tube pre with transformer. I have no reference to how good they sound (and as you said, some of the top pre are SS) but i know for a fact they don't cost much to make.
How much do you think tubes cost? You can get a Mullard 12AT7 for under 30 bucks, does that mean I should get a top of the line 2-channel pre for $100 including other parts? Price isn't just parts. Price is design and labor.

Nothing at that price range costs the manufacturer more than a few bucks to make. Go get an Art Tube MP for $25 if you want a deal (and a tube).

If you want the manufacturers to make the least profit, buy a soldering iron. Not counting the price of the iron, you could make yourself a VTB-1 for under $50.
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Nut

does anyone have experiece with these vs a Presonus Tubepre

someone is selling one here locally for 40.. wondering if i should jump on it

currently i would be using the stock pre-s on my m-audio fast track pro which hasnt come in yet.
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
you should leverage this powerful insight into market dominance in the preamp field.

just purchase all those cheap components, turn them into a GREAT sounding preamp and charge what the parts are REALLY WORTH!

Since you are apparently the first person to think of this, you would be selling a higher quality product at a fraction of the cost- the preamp buying public would be kicking down your doors.

You seem so sure that the RNP is overpriced. If you made a preamp that sounded as good as the RNP, but cost what a VTB-1 cost, you would dominate both sides of the market. All the people who bought EITHER preamp would buy yours instead.

I would certainly be among them. Put me down for at least four.

It's amazing nobody has ever thought of this before...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search