The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RNC Threshold Question
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

RNC Threshold Question

I thought I had a hang of the dbVU - dbFS conversion factor. From what I've read, I thought that 0dbVU was identical to -18dbFS. This led me to assume that the 0db mark on the RNC threshold knob referred to -18dbFS.

I played a constant -20dbFS signal on a synth, and started moving the threshold on the RNC, with the ratio set at 25:1. Strangely enough, The signal began to be compressed at around -20dbFS with the threshold knob up around +15-20. What the heck?

Am I wrong that 0 db on the RNC knob refers to -18dbFS in the software? Can anyone think of anything I may be doing wrong?
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

I gets no love :(
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

errrr, em,... I just twiddle that knob thingy till the light thingees light up a little bit and leave it at that.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

on my fourth beer I can't articulate any clearer than:

It's far more complicated than that. Are we talking peak metering, RMS metering, a mix of both; it all looks different. And what's the impedance match between connected equipment; is anything being loaded down? 0 db FS is a moving target dictated by the system in question; refer to the specs. etc etc.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Another point to be made is that full-scale vs. 0dBVU can and does vary somewhat...it usually lands somewhere between -20dBFS and -18dBFS though, depending on how the equipment is calibrated.

Weez

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search