The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitoring help for a newbie! Mixers (Analog)
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Monitoring help for a newbie!

As alluded in the title, I'm quite new to this recording realm so please pardon my ignorance!

I've recently purchased an Onyx 1640 w/firewire option to do some basement recording in Cubase S4 with my new iMac. I've got more than a few friends who are wanting to record but I'm having trouble getting monitor mixes to them all. I'm fairly set on recording to a click yet the click coming from Cubase is only sending to the mains of my 1640 -> something I've learned is one of the downfalls of going this whole Onyx route. Because we're talking a single room studio here, having a click blaring through my monitors really won't work, unless somebody knows how to make click bleed sound tasteful... yeah that was a joke.

Is there any logical way to get the Cubase click to the 6 aux's on the 1640 so I can then route them to a headphone amp for distribution? Am I going to have to plug a metronome into my mixer and then match my tracks up in Cubase post-recording? Though workable, the latter seems to be somewhat primitive... reminds me of when I still ran XP.

Thanks for any help in advance! I can't wait 'til I get something recorded so I can post it on here for all you fellow engineers to review and, in turn, laugh at.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

hello,
I'm sorry to tell you that but the firewire option on your onyx mixer will not allow for more than just monitoring 1 stereo feed from your DAW. The onyx with FW is just not suited for what you want to do.

What you can do however is get an outboard electronic metronome and feed that into one of the onyx channels. Use that to send click to the musicians.
If you record the click at the same time as the performance, you can go in and line up the recorded tracks to the beat ruler in Cubase.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

y not get a headphone amp, it'll split it and give you a bunch of different headphone ports for each musician
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search