The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alternative to shure sm57 on snare. Dynamic Microphones
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogervandeberg View Post
sennheiser md441

a true desert island mic, sounds good on every piece of your kit
+1
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

+1 m201

hurray! my first post!

though the 441 is my top of the list favourite dynamic
i like the m201 most on snare top.

thats the punchy lo-mid nice top end character
i always longed for

let me add that its a very good 'all pupose weapon'
as we say

my .02
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

i usually go for a 609 at the rim pointed at the middle
Old 28th October 2010
Here for the gear

Thumbs up i5 AND 57

I use em both am make a sum of the two signals through my api. Sounds super fat/clear/punchy. The OC snare doesn't hurt matters any. I'll have a wav posted later.
Old 29th October 2010
Gear Nut

I'm wondering if the OP is still alive even?

If they have waited this long for suggestions on snare mic'ing, then they can wait a bit longer for your clips.....j/kheh

Sorry no help here, I use sm57....but it sounds better for snare if you rotate the headbasket 110 degrees to the left....
Old 29th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom View Post
josephson e-22s
These mics are pretty difficult to find and cost around $900... Are they that good on snares and toms?...

The dynamic+SDC trick works pretty well, it gives the snare a certain 70's sound (which I personally like). I've heard the PR20 on snares doing an okay job.

This is actually an interesting thread - I don't like putting 57's on snare tops, although that's what I always up doing because I haven't really found something else that works well on its own.
Old 29th October 2010
I tried one of my Kel Audio HM-2D microphones on snare and it totally blew the Shure SM57 away. No contest. Kel Audio -- HM-2D

My 57s are only getting used for live sound reinforcement these days. I am just in that sort of a mood. All the places where I used a Shure SM57 in the past, I have other mics that I consistently like better in those places. The guy I share a studio with still likes a 57 on snare, combined with another mic.

The i5 sounds awfully good on anything an SM57 would get used on.

I was a long-time hold out for the SM57 because I do not like to kick my useful tools to the curb. But in my experience, the SM57 bashers are right: other mics sound better. The 57 certainly still works on many sources and has earned its status as a go-to microphone for many good reasons, jjust not for me in the studio anymore. Unless my mood changes.
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Try a Senn MD421

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search