The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Compounder Compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

Focusrite Compounder Compressor

Hi Everyone,

I produce mainly dance music such as House, Electro and Progressive. When producing music I usually like getting the very compressed sound you get from artist's such as Eric Prydz and Trentemoller.

Saying this I am looking for a good hardware compressor to help me achieve this output(even though I know most of them use VST's). I'm looking at the Focusrite Compounder Compressor. Judging from the reviews it seems like it is ideal for dance music. Can any help anyone give any thoughts on this device in using for dance music? I already have the Alesis 3803 which slightly robs the high end so I'm looking more transient or adds colour that sounds 'good'

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Karvan
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi

Definately to go for! Lot of House PRoducers use the bass enhancement of this unit. I'll buy one too. I think with a GSSL you're better of as a bus compressor.

Greets

Christian
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

Haha after writing this I just found in another a thread Trentemoller uses this unit for his production as well. So yeah I'm definetely going to buy one.

Cheers mate
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

for what application do you use the Compounder ?

This bass enhancement isn't just a simple eq boost ?

Thanks for sharing your experience with it

Sergio
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I haven't used one yet.
Maybe you can get the same results with a EQ,compressor chain, but the compounder doesn't cost a lot used.

Yeah Trentemoeller rocks bigtime!!!

Hey b_karv:

Have a look at the GSSL Bus Compressor too! Very good drum & 2 bus compressor, especially for electronic music. Lots of big guys swear by it.

Greets
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_karv View Post
Hi Everyone,

I produce mainly dance music such as House, Electro and Progressive. When producing music I usually like getting the very compressed sound you get from artist's such as Eric Prydz and Trentemoller.

Saying this I am looking for a good hardware compressor to help me achieve this output(even though I know most of them use VST's). I'm looking at the Focusrite Compounder Compressor. Judging from the reviews it seems like it is ideal for dance music. Can any help anyone give any thoughts on this device in using for dance music? I already have the Alesis 3803 which slightly robs the high end so I'm looking more transient or adds colour that sounds 'good'

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Karvan

Hello

Do you find Eric Prydz music very compressed ? ?

for me, when I compress to much, I loose my lows and bottom , whereas Eric Prydz has a huge bottom and bass music.
Maybe I am making it the wrong way ? ?

Sergio
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks Christian I will def. check it out. hope its not too pricey though!

As for Sergio yeah you tend to loose bass on compression and yes Eric Prydz stuff is compressed a bit but effectively.

Not sure if you like a big kick or big bass but I usually I like big bass kicks in my mix. Currently what I do to get around this is add a very low frequency sound via Rbass from the waves plugin suite on the kick. Then use a multiband compressor which then allows me to compress the higher frequencies to get a punch sound then moderately compress the lower frequencies so don't loose out on the big kick. Then of course eq and gate as well to keep it tight. This works but it is really important to have monitors to pick up on the low end otherwise the low end can sound really loose.

Also with compression if you don't want to loose to much in bass use a soft knee instead of a hard knee.

Now with Eric Prydz and Trent I am pretty sure they sidechain compress their whole mix with the sidechain signal being the kick. This is what gives that pumping effect. This is what the F. compounder can do, well I hope anyway. Also from what I read of the bass expander it adds low frequency harmonics which I am presuming it is the same go with the Rbass and since its hardware I am hopeing it will give a better result.

Here is useful link I found on Trentmoller production:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...roduction.html

Karv
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

@ Sergioelectro

Prydz uses lot the sidechain. Also mixes heavy compressed signal with non compressed signal (parallel compression).

EQ is also very important, Trentemoller self said Quote: "don't underestimate the power of eq"

There are also subahrmonic synthesizers like DBX120XP.

@ b_karv

GSSL is a Do it yourself Kit, you have to buy parts and build it yourself. But you will always find people selling them. Just do a search here on GSSL.

I am gonna buy one too me thinks
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

what the "bass enhancement" function does is adding
an uncompressed (hicut filtered) signal to the compressed signal...
it works really great for sidechaining...

if someone wants a compounder, I have one for sale. please send pm.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
what the "bass enhancement" function does is adding
an uncompressed (hicut filtered) signal to the compressed signal...
it works really great for sidechaining...

if someone wants a compounder, I have one for sale. please send pm.

So it does the same thing as parallel compression ? no ?
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

yes, but the parallel signal is filtered...
Old 26th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Bumping this old thread,

I have a compounder and want to do classic sidechaining but I can't figure out how to set it up?

I'm reading the manual and can't figure out how to do this, do I use the key input on the back?

I'm looking to do a live house set using a 909, sampler and a synth or two. So my 909 is perfect I just can't figure out this setup.

any help would be great, thanks
Old 10th October 2010
{-}
Here for the gear
Yup, use the key input. It "keys" the compressor circuit.

For the "classic" house sidechain ducking thing you'd send your kick out of an aux into the key input, and insert the compressor on your synth track or whatever.
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Head
Hi there. sorry to resurect old post, but it's the same subject.
I've been trying to try out sidechaining, and got it working on a penta, but not on the compounder, where i want it.

so, the part of the set up in question:

kik from a sampler goes straight into ch 1 of the compounder, then back out into a balanced line in on the mixer.

Korg MS-10 goes into ch 2 of the compounder, then out into another mixer channel.

direct out (post fader) comes from the kik channel of the mixer to the [key in] of ch2 of the compounder.

i was expecting this to duck the ms-10 when the kik kicks, but instead, it opens the gate, resulting in the ms 10 gating IN when the kik kicks, instead of ducking out, and it doesn't appear to affect the compression.

back to front, no?

have i got my wires crossed somewhere?

I also tried stereo linking the compounder, so the kik compression would affect the ch 2, but channel 2's bass still affects the compression too, just with the settings of ch 1.

any help much appreciated.

Ta.
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Head
Drrrropping like a stone, so....

BUMP!

Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

I have a compounder and gave up trying to get side chain ducking to work

from what I can gather the sidechain triggers the gate not the compressor so when you signal trigger the side chain , gate closes no sound .

its designed to be used for noise gating drums afaik

I could be wrong but I tried pretty much everything

apart from that GREAT cheap compressor for bass , electronic drums
Old 2nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
I have a compounder and gave up trying to get side chain ducking to work

from what I can gather the sidechain triggers the gate not the compressor so when you signal trigger the side chain , gate closes no sound .

its designed to be used for noise gating drums afaik

I could be wrong but I tried pretty much everything

apart from that GREAT cheap compressor for bass , electronic drums
Yes, the key input for for the gate only, would have been nice if it was switchable. Mod anyone?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search