The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cheap monitors (again, but I don't wanna hijack a thread) Studio Monitors
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

cheap monitors (again, but I don't wanna hijack a thread)

Hi there,

i've been reading this board and opinions for 2 days now... well actually quite a while longer, but I have been focussing on monitors, since I get really tired of the ones I use now (which don't seem to translate at all).

I'm in a really small rectangular room (about 2,5 by 4,5 meters). Not nearly ideal, but I have no other choice. I'm looking for monitors, and I can get the Tascam's VLX5 real cheap (e.173). I read somewhere that the Reveal 5a's are a better choice overall, but the price difference in dollars doesn't seem to be so big. Overhere they are about twice as expensive (e.349). Is this worth the price difference? Probably not in my room? (I hope to upgrade my house in about 2 years ). Also the speakers kinda have to stand against the wall, due to space constraints.

I'm on Spirit Absolute Zero's (the red ones) now... Will this be a huge upgrade in sound? I do hope so, because I never liked them a bit.

Unfortunately, I can't check the Tascam's out myself, as they are really hard to find in shops around here.

Some advice? The HS50m's are also an option btw, they are about the price of the Tannoy's. Maybe something even smaller? Yes, I will have to mix serious stuff on them, mostly pop/rock oriented.
Old 28th August 2007

That's a pretty small room. Treating it for bass and first reflections will pay huge dividends.

I'm not familiar with those models, but make sure to set aside some money for rockwool, fabric, and lumber.

-tINY

Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

There is actually some fabric for damping the earliest reflections... plus it's full of equipment ;-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search