The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RNC - Both channels independant? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

RNC - Both channels independant?

Hiya!
I'd like to know if each channel on the FMR RNC is independant of the other. For example, if I have a kick/snare combo going into left/right channel, will the snare affect the kick?

I assume not, but I'd like to make sure.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
Hiya!
I'd like to know if each channel on the FMR RNC is independant of the other. For example, if I have a kick/snare combo going into left/right channel, will the snare affect the kick?

Well, I not too sure about in by-pass, but engaged, I think what-ever you do to the knobs will effect each channel the same. ( by it being true stereo and not dual mono)...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

The RNC is linked-stereo, not dual-mono, so your kick hits will compress your snare, and vice versa.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hiya!

No, they share the same detector circuit. A the kick will trigger the compressor on the snare track and visa versa in your example.

They are cheap. Buy three and rack them.

Cheers,
David
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

I've heard the rnc is THE best stereo compressor for the money but I don't have any experiance with them, anybody have a good rap on what to expect?

thanks
S
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzburn View Post
I've heard the rnc is THE best stereo compressor for the money but I don't have any experiance with them, anybody have a good rap on what to expect?
Expect "for the money" to be the key phrase in that. They're decent units, but don't expect miracles at the $200 price point.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzburn View Post

thanks
S
The RNC is a very clean compressor. If you are looking to add color with compression, then the RNC is not what you want.
If you are looking for a clean compressor that you can really push hard, then the RNC is exactly what you want.
Its probably the best value compressor in any price range.

The RNC has a mode called SuperNice, that works great for when you want to track vocals. You can really push the amount of gain reduction hard before you will hear the sound get crappy. The reason for this is that SuperNice mode chains two levels of compression instead of one, so it compresses in two stages allowing the end results to sound more smooth, pleasing and less processed.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

What does Supernice do with only one RNC?

Also, anyone know where I can some of the nice sliding knob caps for the RNP? I HATE the small screws. Installing the RNC to the rack mount was a 1 min ordeal. The RNP was a 45 min hate job.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
What does Supernice do with only one RNC?

Also, anyone know where I can some of the nice sliding knob caps for the RNP? I HATE the small screws. Installing the RNC to the rack mount was a 1 min ordeal. The RNP was a 45 min hate job.
I think in the Super-Nice mode, the RNC reacts as if you are using multible compressors " in-line". Each performing little compressions, instead of one " deep" compression.. Some one else chime in if I wrong...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search