The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer Vintage series Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Behringer Vintage series

Hi Everyone,

I've might of posted this a while ago but I got so busy with work that not only I can not find the post but I'm not sure if I actually posted it or just thought about postng it...

So my question is: Is the Behringer Vintage Series compressor any good? Some people say that I'm better off using VST compressor, save money and get good one rather than getting anything from Behringer... Is this true?

Thanks,
Peter
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
In my opinion, software compressors are going to be way better than MOST hardware compressors, until you get up into that high end, over $1000 market.

The other thing to consider in a project studio, is that every time you add outboard, you are sending your audio through converters again, and your audio can degrade pretty quickly (without high end analog to digital converters).

Plus, I wouldn't recommend Behringer **** anyway - they are notoriously cheap/****ty products. If you really want budget hardware compressor, check out the FMR Audio RNC or their RNLA.

halcyo
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for the FMR stuff.

I encourage you to stay away from Behringer. Not only is their build quality pretty awful, they're notorious for ripping off other companies designs. I heard a rumor that their R&D department is one guy with a digital camera, and I'm inclined to believe it.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Thumbs down Behringer...

Behringer has the potential to make you look like this:
I'm not going to dog on the company's entire product line, because there are SOME useful products with a Behringer logo stamped on them, but their entire philosophy of doing business is repugnant to me.

If I had to guess, I'd say at least half of their products are blatant knock-offs of established, successful products by other manufacturers. (Google "Mackie and Behringer lawsuit"...)
A company that produces very few original and innovative pieces of gear is not a company I will be inclined to support with my dollars.
And aside from my philosophical misgivings, many of their products are garbage!

And as has already been stated, you would probably be better off with good plug-ins until you can afford a good comp, and converters to boot (if you're mixing back out through the hardware comp)...
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyelagin View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've might of posted this a while ago but I got so busy with work that not only I can not find the post but I'm not sure if I actually posted it or just thought about postng it...

So my question is: Is the Behringer Vintage Series compressor any good? Some people say that I'm better off using VST compressor, save money and get good one rather than getting anything from Behringer... Is this true?

Thanks,
Peter

Behringer sucks in the analog or digital domain.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I agree that you will be better off putting your money into a VST compressor than a Behringer. But if you want an outboard compressor and don't mind buying used you can find ART PRO VLA compressors on the market for a reasonable price. Another option is an ART Pro Channel which has a tube preamp, compressor, and eq built in.

I don't use an outboard compressor very often but once in a while it's nice to have for a vocalist who has a broad dynamic range. But you will get way more mileage out of one or two of the best software compressors you can afford.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

They suck- there is no other way to say it.
FMR RNLA's and RNC's are the way to go.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear
Go SOFTWARE if you can....you will thank me....

halcyo
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I havn't heard it, but I've heard a lot of other behringer stuff, and I've never heard anythiing they made that didn't soudn awful.
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Vintage Behringer ?

Good rule of thumb =>Don't touch the Behringer. It's like a cheap date that will leave you utterly disappointed. Go for nice VST Comp or it might just work if that band wants a nice Behringer/Radio Shack sound. You never know till you try it in the mix
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoll View Post
You never know till you try it in the mix
But you have already got a pretty good idea! dfegad
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Exception is the Behringer Rev2496 reverb-unit. Outstanding quality for less than 100 Euro's.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Which compressor is that exactly?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear
behringer's control surfaces are really good especially for the price.

It's kinda hard the f*ck that up, it's just plastic and a midi interface.

To answer the topic though, I personally wouldn't trust a Behringer compressor.

If you just need a cheap compressor to tame a bit while recording go with the ART stuff.

Some people don't like the whole starved plate tube thing, but at least the ART products work reliably.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search