The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gearslutz! Please help! Monitor dilema under $1600!! Studio Monitors
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

Gearslutz! Please help! Monitor dilema under $1600!!

Hi there!

I need your slutty asistance with something that is really driving me nuts! I cant decide which pair of monitor speakers is the best for me!
Since my room dimensions are ridiculous (2.23 H , 2.31 W , 3.00 L), i know that i must look for a not so powerfull pair...

I actually have very little bass treatment in my room, with M-Audio BX8 (old version, 4 years with me now, left monitor is making a crackle noise), which i indeed think are too much for my small room (too bassy of course, not to mention not acurate in the mids IMO)

Extra acoustic treatment is on its way, bought some extra LERND traps from auralex (8 pieces). Since i want a pair of new monitors too, i want to make a moderate step-up from my current set up.

My options narrowed to these 3:

Adam A7
Dynaudio Bm5a
Dynaudio Bm6a MkII

Ive been reading all the posts i can here at Gearsluts, but i just cant find the answer i need... since all the posts are about Bm6a original, which is $500 bucks ahead of the MkII... Very few info is aviable about this new model.

I do know that the originals are studio standard as i have read so far... that they have different amps which have more power than the MkII etc etc... but its just out of my range, in fact, i was expecting to spend just $1000 and i was thinking in between the A7 and Bm5a...

But since my music genre is heavy-bass oriented (Trance), i saw lots of comments about the Bm5a having problems at higher SPL with the bass responce, and the A7 needing a sub almost as a MUST.

So i was wondering if the extra 500$ from the Bm5a to the Bm6a MkII is worth for the price, since i read the MkII had 50 watts more in the bass driver, and claim to have more headroom, im looking for a more accurate bass responce.

I cant audition any monitors, since in my country all shops have only crappy or cheap monitors to audition in, and more expensive ones (such as dynaudio) are not aviable for listening/demo. Prices here are ridiculous (over 200% of the original price of the gear the most of the time) so im taking an airplane and buy them my self in California US in October, so im running out of time!

Please Gearslutz! Any comment, tip or whatever you want, is really apreciated!!! I really need the advice.

Thank you all in advance!

Cheerz!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

i would think the BM6A MKI would be an excellent choice for someone wanting to make trance. they play really loud and have loads of bottom end extension. these monitors have a real presence and big sound. great for making electronic music.

i almost bought them myself after extensive auditioning.

however i am not sure that sound will fit in that small room you intend to use.

your room looks like a real problem because you need something that will play loud and has plenty of low end but the room is v.small.

re BM6 MKII: i have not heard them myself. however quite a few people - including the retailer and a studio owner where i auditioned the BM6A MKI - encouraged to me to go with the MK I and not the MKII. in their opinion the MKII were introduced to reduce costs and not improve sound. however as i said i did not hear the MKII myself.

hope this helps

Spek
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Hey!

Thanx for your reply!

Yeah, everybody seems to say that, hmmm, Bm6a MkI seems to be the real option, but maybe i can spend those $500 in some room treatment, to tame those wild low freq!

Thanx a lot for your reply, i hope someone has A/Bed them somehow... i mean, $500 is not THAT much, but what is stopping me to buy the MkI is the room characteristics... whew!!

Has anybody else got any experience with Bma6 MkII?

Thank you SO much for your help!!

Greetingz!

(BTW, i looked for the Bma6 MkI at musiciansfriend.com, sweetwater.com, and zzounds, and they dont seem to sell any! Just MkII, anyone knows an online shop who sells this model?)
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
but what is stopping me to buy the MkI is the room characteristics... whew!!
yes indeed. its hard to see the BM6A sound fitting in your small room. they have a large rear port and hence need to to have a good distamce from back walls. my guess at least 1 metre from a treated wall but maybe a little more.

like i said i think the BM6A would be a good chocie for making heavy electronic music. they can really thump it out but maybe too much for your room size.

i liked the sound of those monitors and i went v. close to buying them.

spek
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Arghhh!

Yeah! That is soooo true!

But then again, i just saw Bm6a MkI at $1,700 USD, and now THATS tempting! I think this great offer just made worse my case!!! And I think that if i buy these MkI, i wont be buying/needing an upgrade for a loooong time!

If i find/build some extra strong bass traps that are effective with the MkI at 30 or 40 cm from the wall, i think ill buy them, but as far as ive read at some gearslutz threads, its almost impossible to tame the low end with my room dimensions, with such a powerfull pair of speakers... However ive seen in this forum lots of ppl getting great results with the fiber glass 704 technique in small rooms... oooh how to decide!

Thanks for your help again Spec!

Any help is really apreciated!

- Cheerz!
Old 27th August 2007
One with big hooves

Being a large fan of Dynaudios, I'd go passive rather then active. Your dollars will go further & you can always upgrade the amp later... Anyway, the passives sound much "better" to me then the active models. Not as harsh, maybe a bit less scooped in the midrange & 'firmer' overall. I picked up ne BM15's and a used Hafler Transnova well within the range you're looking to spend... low end extension on the BM15's is MUCH greater then the 6's.

Actually, there aren't many self-powered monitors I like much after comparing the active to the same passive model. Tannoy, Adam, Dynaudio, Events...

I wonder why that is... do speaker companys make "lame" amps?
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Hey!

Hmmm sounds interesting.... i didnt think about passive speakers... but i think its a huge compromise to get the exact amp which will sound perfect with the monitors i want... I always prefer actives... but im not 100% sure about what to choose.

Does anyone know about the proper amp for the passive Bm6?

Thanks a lot for your help again!!

Cheerz
Old 28th August 2007

Consider mulitple subs to tame the bass. 2 or 4 smaller 10" subs could go a long way.

-tINY

Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
I wonder why that is... do speaker companys make "lame" amps?
I really dig the Flying Moles in my PMC's, do you not like those either? Just curious, cause I've never really had a set of passive's and definitely never heard the PMC sets.
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot for your reply Tiny! Ive seen very helpfull posts from you in other threads! But i didnt understand your post here could you explain that to me again?

Hmm, everything points to the Bm6a MkI as the perfect choice! i mean... the heavy bass from the Bm6a 7" driver can be hard to controll in a such a small room like mine, but then again, it cant be worse than my Bx8`s 8" driver plus their not so accurate bass responce... (thats only my idea)

Im planning to move to another place (bigger for gods sake) in about 1 year or 2... and maybe if i buy say... the bm5 or the ADAMs A7, ill have to upgrade to a bigger speaker, so maybe the Bm6a will last longer in my setup...

Im no expert, so i really apreciate your help! Ive been having problems at bed time just thinking about the best choice! hahaha Since i wont be able to return them if im unsatisfied! I dont want to make any mistakes.

Thanks a lot again Gearslutz, all comments have been really helpfull!

Cheerz!
Old 28th August 2007
Harman International

Some of it is pretty technical.

Basically, you can cancel out room modes and the ringing associated with them by placing your subwoofers properly. It should help with the boundary conditions (distance from you ear to the wall) some too.....

-tINY

Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

I do understand your point Tiny!! What a massive idea! Its kinda expensive though... but perhaps its worth the money if i have to stick with my room dimensions!

Ill buy the Bm6a, and follow your instructions Tiny, but first ill try to build as much bass traps of fiberglass as possible! If i continue to see extreme dips and peaks modes, ill just have to use your plan.

Thank you soooooo much!!! Greatly apreciated!!!

Grettingz!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search