The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
drum trigger on snare Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

drum trigger on snare

would i be able to plug a drum trigger into a firepod and then change the sound of it with lets say snare samples i have, or do i need a program like drumagog? im gettin 3 57's and a beta 52, so i wasn't sure if i should buy another 57 so i can use 57's on all toms and the snare, or just buy a trigger instead for the snare.

~Brandon
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

You'll need some sort of triggering software, or I suppose you could do it manually. But yes, you should be able to plug the trigger into the firepod, and record the impulses.

I'd get another 57 and at least attempt to record a snare. I find replaced snares to sound pretty bad usually.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

i guess if i was gonna insert the hits manually it would kill the reason for using a trigger, thanks for the advice
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, you could use the impulses from the trigger to place the snare replacement samples, so using a trigger isn't a bad idea. There are some cheap plugs out there that do a good job, like Aptrigga. If you used the trigger on the snare, you could use the recorded impulses to trigger a sample pretty easily. I suspect it would be more accurate than using a mic'd snare to trigger a sample.

But I think you should do a mic'd snare anyway, just because I find it sounds more natural. Of course, a lot depends on the sound you're going for. If you're doing a metal thing, you might just put triggers on everything. Natural sounds aren't exactly the thing for most metal.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

a trigger is just a cheap contact mic that has a sound that is unusable on its own but is accurate enough to lock a sample onto.

there is nothing about the trigger impulse that will work differently from a mic impulse as far as giving you or your software a "location" for your sample.

if you are triggering samples in software, there is no reason why the audio track of the microphone could not be used as the trigger. Then you would have the real mic to mix in with the sample, which you might find useful.

the advantages a dedicated trigger would have would be that, as a contact mic glued to the drum, it is likely to pick up less crosstalk and that if you are using a hardware sampler, some units are designed to accept certain triggers impedance and level-wise
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like to have a real snare track simply because there are more options later if you want to simply augment rather than 100% replace. It's nice to have the original there for ghost note reasons as well.
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Head

trigger and mesh on snare

Hi,

i would like to put mesh head and trigger on my snare (and all other pieces) and drive it with td12 module
Can i hear rimshot, or i will only hear rim and only head separately?

what do you suggest for trigger, roland or ddrum? other?

thanks

filippo
Old 4th April 2010
Easiest set up: Alesis D4 brain (cheap to buy) with a mic or trigger on the snare; record the MIDI information (from the snare) and replace/augment the sound in the mix.
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Head

anybody knows if rimshot sounds with trigger and mesh on the snare?
Old 6th April 2010
Here for the gear

I would put the beta52 on floor tom, 57 on other toms and snare, and trigger samples for the kick. Kick drums have no where near the amount of expression as snares.
Old 6th April 2010
Lives for gear

Question

Are there any other units that can take a microphone signal and convert it into a MIDI note as described above with the Alesis D4?

What do you search for say on sweetwater for such a device? "Drum Brain"?
Old 7th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post
Are there any other units that can take a microphone signal and convert it into a MIDI note as described above with the Alesis D4?

The current model is the DM5 (Alesis).

Look for drum brains or drum sound modules that have MIDI in/out and 1/4 inputs; there are even some Simmons models from the 1980s that are available (used) that have MIDI.
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pederson View Post

There are a couple of freeware plugs that can convert audio hits to MIDI.

I've used this one with great success (apparently available in Mac and PC versions):
KT DrumTrigger, a virtual VST trigger - MacMusic

This one works both as a gate/expander and a MIDI trigger interface. Good sidechain filtering:
KVR: Cockos ReaGate - Virtual Effect
Old 7th April 2010
Gear Addict

The Roland triggers are the best, the snare tirgger has two piezo's in it so it picks up the skin hits and rimshots,and you can adjust the contact/sensitivty of them as well depending on how tight your heads are etc.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search