The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK Rockit RP-5 monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

KRK Rockit RP-5 monitors?

Im getting ready to possibly purchase a pair of KRK Rokit RP-5 monitors. I was wondering how good they are. They fit my budget perfectly. In fact I really wouldnt want to spend more than that even if I had the money. But can someone who has experience with these monitors tell me how good they are. Possibly even send me a link of a song youve mixed with them. Im just really wondering if they are worth the money. Also I would just hook them up to my control room outs or my main mix outs on my Behringer mixer right. And I was also wondering how loud these things are. Thanks for the help.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

They are a great budget speaker, i use the 1st edition of the V8s, however if you need more of a true speaker around the same price, then get the V4s , i want some myself.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've never heard the Rockit series but I will say I find the V series II stuff to be a bit overly bright and overall somewhat flattering to a mix. I've noticed stuff sounding bad in my car that sounds good on the KRKs, and I'm not just talking about bass.
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

I've got a pair, they translate better than my teseracts. You just have to make sure that when you get them you tune you're room to them or vice versa. Some songs I've recorded on them. MySpace.com - Contortion - Concord, New Hampshire - Grindcore / Metal / Progressive - www.myspace.com/thecontortion (myband) and MySpace.com - Below The Rise - Hillbilly Helltown, New Hampshire - Hardcore / Metal / 2-step - www.myspace.com/belowtherise six feet on that one I recorded as well.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you can, get into the V-Series Krk's, maybe with a V4. If you are able to audition monitors, listen to both of them for yourself.
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

Yeah I really wanted to listen to them myself so I called around my town and nobody has them so I guess Ill just have to wait until I order them. I was also wondering how loud these are.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have RP6's and like the a lot. The best in the price range I think... the RP5's have less bottom end, but it's manageable. I think they are easily loud enough... but I prefer to mix quite quiet and do loud checks every now and then.
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

Yeah I mixed with my Stereo computer speakers at normal listening levels. But sometimes I like to have a listen at pretty loud volumes and when my band is playing without drums we play through speakers going through my board and record at the same time so I wanted them to be pretty loud.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Stay away from the RP5s!!!!

I had a pair for a year and a half. I used them in three different locations in which I consistently worked. The speakers sound hyped to my ears. My mixes ended up bright with no low end. The second two locations I used the speakers at were correctly treated with absorption at 1st reflection points, bass traps, etc. I bought a pair of Yamaha HS80s and compared them to the RP5s, and the HS80s were much more balanced sounding all across the frequency spectrum. My mixes have been translating exteremely well since I made the switch. I just did a studio install for a client of mine. I put in the Yamaha HS50s (the 5" version of the HS80). We were very pleased with them. I think that these Yamaha HS series monitors are the best in their price range and even in the price range above them. I have used Mackie HR824s and Genelec 1030s, and I prefer to use my HS80s. I think you would have to spend quite a bit more money to have a true upgrade in sonic quality. Go figure!? My 2 cents.thumbsup
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildrummerboy70 View Post
I had a pair for a year and a half. I used them in three different locations in which I consistently worked. The speakers sound hyped to my ears. My mixes ended up bright with no low end. The second two locations I used the speakers at were correctly treated with absorption at 1st reflection points, bass traps, etc. I bought a pair of Yamaha HS80s and compared them to the RP5s, and the HS80s were much more balanced sounding all across the frequency spectrum. My mixes have been translating exteremely well since I made the switch. I just did a studio install for a client of mine. I put in the Yamaha HS50s (the 5" version of the HS80). We were very pleased with them. I think that these Yamaha HS series monitors are the best in their price range and even in the price range above them. I have used Mackie HR824s and Genelec 1030s, and I prefer to use my HS80s. I think you would have to spend quite a bit more money to have a true upgrade in sonic quality. Go figure!? My 2 cents.thumbsup
The next step up that I'd consider as an upgrade to the HS80s and the Mackie HR824s, are the BM5a's/BM6a's and the Adam A7's. You'd have to get a sub to extend the bass response, but even if you didnt, depending on your needs it could be worth the sacrifice.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

I use the Yahama HS 50's and they sound great. They cost a little more than the Rockit's, but well worth the money. I'm a value guy, and these definitely hit the 'sweet spot'. Good luck. Peace.dp
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

I couldnt find the KRK V4's you guys were talking about so I think im just going to get the RP-5's and then try them out to see if I like them and if I dont like them ill send them back and try some of the other recommended ones. Thanks for all the help.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreventThis View Post
Im getting ready to possibly purchase a pair of KRK Rokit RP-5 monitors. I was wondering how good they are. They fit my budget perfectly. In fact I really wouldnt want to spend more than that even if I had the money. But can someone who has experience with these monitors tell me how good they are. Possibly even send me a link of a song youve mixed with them. Im just really wondering if they are worth the money. Also I would just hook them up to my control room outs or my main mix outs on my Behringer mixer right. And I was also wondering how loud these things are. Thanks for the help.

The Rokit 5 monitors aren't accurate at all in my opinion. I'd look at other KRK monitors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search