The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BEST PIANO MODULE !!!! Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

this one................

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Products : Sampling Line : Elektrik Piano

This is what I was talkin about....
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you guys had to choose between Akoustik Piano and Elektrik Piano for a rhodes piano sound, hands down... which one would you feel better about relying on?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

The best piano module? That would be either TruePianos or Pianoteq. Both have great capacities beyond the sample-based ones, as I found these ones more playable and expressive, and less taxing on the computer as well. Much easier to load and CPU-friendly and sounding as good (or even better to my ears, quite frankly) as the best sample based pianos, including Ivory and Akoustik Piano both of which I've tried, plus a lot of other ones like GPO and EWQL SO Silver edition pianos.

None are as good as these two. Check them out. One uses physical modelling, I think it's Pianoteq and the other one I'm not sure of, but I assume it's some sort of phase-aligned resynthesis like Garritan's Solo Stradivarius violin which is a wonderful virtual violin. One I plan on getting the Strad one of these days, along with the rest of the string quartet when they finally arrive. Not cheap but well worth the money.

Ben
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Personally I'd recommend staying away from anything like the triton or the motif. The key to a good sampled piano sound is a large and detailed sample set. Hardware like the motif is designed more for live work and scores points for reliability and simplicity but has absolutely nowhere near the sample set size of a modern software alternative. I've played both the motif and the triton piano patches and personally I found them really boring and unconvincing. I am a pianist so I'm quite fussy.

Modern Software also utillizes the computers far superior processing power to run much more complex algorythms to further enhance the larger sample set.

Having said all this the most convincing software piano I've ever heard is Pianoeq. It uses no samples at all. It's really well priced as well. . Go Figure...
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I honestly don't know how anyone could recommend anything but ivory
there is no comparison. None, zippo, ziltch.... nada

unless your tone deaf or never heard ivory
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by siloo View Post
I literally own every piano VI and sample library available. I've done a bunch of solo piano records for labels over the years, and the last several I've done using the NI Akoustik Piano library exclusively. I've tried and own them all, including Ivory, but for me Akoustik Piano conveys the most realism. I crank up the pedal resonance and release to about 75%, kiss it with a little but of the UAD Fairchild and some UAD Plate reverb and it's done. I really think that this is the way to go.

Jonathon A. Willis
Riverwind Productions
Spring Hill, TN
[email protected]
No offense, but I TOTALLY disagree...I thought Akoustik Piano not only didn't even come close to Ivory - I thought it was pretty unrealistic...I just don't see how you could play these two and think AP was better...Oh, well...
Old 31st August 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

The Akoustik Steinway is great IMHO. But I do not like the other Akoustik pianos. However, I like a Steinway sound and the Steinway on the Akoustik sounds better than the Ivory samples to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
No offense, but I TOTALLY disagree...I thought Akoustik Piano not only didn't even come close to Ivory - I thought it was pretty unrealistic...I just don't see how you could play these two and think AP was better...Oh, well...
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

ak

Thank's Slutz!!

I', gonna try the Akoustik Piano...i work at a school so i get it for 169.00..

If that doesn't work ill shell out 4 Ivory!!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Ummmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Pretty unrealistic? Why the attitude? So I go to your Myspace sight and sit through your primarily guitar-based country songs, and the two songs you have on there with piano has the piano sound so compressed, distorted and eq'd - it sounds NOTHING like a real piano. I hate pulling rank - but I DO have some authority on what a freaking real piano sounds like. WIth 16 years of classical piano training, as well as several years of performing solo classical piano, recording solo piano, and performing piano with orchestras, I do have a valid opinion on the matter. So to say that you can't "see how you could play these two and think AP was better" is just flat out arrogant and uninformed. An honest opinion is one thing, but lighten up on the condescending semantics pal.

Jonathon A. Willis
Riverwind Productions
Spring Hill, TN
[email protected]
Old 2nd September 2007
1m1
Here for the gear

I second the vote for PianoTeq - sounds fantastic, it's very playable and it's easy on the computer.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie c View Post
Thank's Slutz!!

I', gonna try the Akoustik Piano...i work at a school so i get it for 169.00..

If that doesn't work ill shell out 4 Ivory!!
Good decision. I own a Motif ES and I would never record the stock pianos or use stock AP waveforms on a recording. That said, I own some piano samples I use with the ES and they are amazing. I record with them all the time. I just bought Komplete and am loading Acoustik piano tomorrow. I'll let you know how they compare...

By the way, I've tried pianoteq and while I think it is the future, it is still heavy on the CPU and takes a good bit of tweaking to get sounding right. I can get it to sound like the Motif ES, but I can't get it to sound like a real piano, YET. Modelling is the future and it will get there. No doubt sampling is going to take a back seat in the not too distant future, but for now it is still superior IMO.....
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

I've heard so many people write favorably about Ivory, but I have to say, I've not been all that impressed with it. It is easy to set up, nice interface, etc., and for certain kinds of mixes I think it works really well.....but I just find the sound to be a little too perfect. Plain and unblemished.....which is generally where the problems lie with sampled sounds these days. They're just too polished, smooth and consistent, and that's how they just don't sound at all real, or even realistic, IM(nsh)O. For me, the PMI bosendorfer is the best I've heard, bettern than Ivory or The Big One, at least. That said, Ivory is definitely the most versatile collection out there that I know of.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

i vory is really nice but it does have a certain almost nasal character to it but it´s very warm and sounds good with other instruments... i don´t really like how it responds to dynamics though... even after messing with the dynamic range and other controls...

akoustik is a bit brighter overall and not quite as fulll but sounds very nice... the dynamics are great with a weighted controller... just reduce the velocity curve or dynamics a bit...

elektrik piano is hands down the very best rhodes/wurli and clav i have ... it is awesome... and very funky...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search