The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chameleon Labs TS-1 SDC Condenser Microphones
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Chameleon Labs TS-1 SDC

Anyone used this SDC on acoustic guitar? What do you think of it?

The reason I'm asking this in the High End Forum is that I've read elsewhere that it holds it's own against the more expensive SDC's.

Thanks,
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

me too...I'm dying to hear how their SDC's sound compared to the big boys. Really a mic like this for $500ea isn't a cheap one. That's getting up there with the AKG451's of the world. I see used KM184's in that range as well. So, unless you're comparing it to a Schoeps or something crazy, it is fairly high end...price wise that is.

OK...enough from me....let's hear some responses....what are they good on, what not....etc....

m
Old 24th August 2007
I just got one and it sounds fantastic on my fiddle and mandolin. Can't wait to try it on my acoustic guitar.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondjim View Post
I just got one and it sounds fantastic on my fiddle and mandolin. Can't wait to try it on my acoustic guitar.
And??? !!
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Would love to read more people's experience with this.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

I bought a pair the day they came out. They are very nice microphones! Very similar to my 451E's. I also use the Blue B0 (elam type) capsule with their AKG adapter on the mic bodies and they also sound nice and bright, my goto percussion mics.. Not a huge fan of Chinese MIcs, but they did a great job on these ones. Worth the $425 each..

Rob
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

I bought one, specifically for acoustic guitar. I love it. Have only used the cardiod cap so far. I don't have any of the most expensive SDC's to compare it to, however. But I have no desire whatsoever to look for another SDC. It sounds like the acoustic guitar it's recording. And has a flattering quality to it. There is nothing Chinese about it sound wise at all. Although not in the market for another LDC, I'm considering the TS-2 becasue I'm so impressed with the TS-1.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

If these guys keep putting out products of this quality it's going to make it hard to justify why the "big boys" can't do the same. I mean really, small company, limited resources, low price, great product.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
If these guys keep putting out products of this quality it's going to make it hard to justify why the "big boys" can't do the same. I mean really, small company, limited resources, low price, great product.
I guess they could...if they moved their manufacturing to China.

In fact, "if these guys keep putting out products of this quality" the big boys might just HAVE to move their manufacturing to China.

Remember when "Made in Japan" used to mean inferior quality...and now it means good quality?

"Made in China" is the new "Made in Japan".
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Remember when "Made in Japan" used to mean inferior quality...and now it means good quality?

"Made in China" is the new "Made in Japan".
Yes I do (remember). It took Japan many many years before made in Japan came to mean quality. In similar fashion, I'm sure it will be many years before made in China will come to mean quality, if ever.
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I bought a pair the day they came out. They are very nice microphones! Very similar to my 451E's. I also use the Blue B0 (elam type) capsule with their AKG adapter on the mic bodies and they also sound nice and bright, my goto percussion mics.. Not a huge fan of Chinese MIcs, but they did a great job on these ones. Worth the $425 each..

Rob
rob, how similar to the c451? i actually thought about adding a ts1 as an alternative body for my blue capsules vs. my c451s... if it's quite similar it's not an interesting option...

thanks
istvan
Old 12th November 2007
Lives for gear

IME,

They are not as bright as 451's (orig. models - I've not used/heard the re-issues) but seem to have more proximity effect than 451's (i.e. when using card. caps at more than 1' from source).

I bought them as another option for the various 451 threaded caps I have: (CK-1's, CK-9's, BLUE R6 X2, RED R7, RED R4, etc) - I've not exhaustively tried all the various caps with the TS-1's, but suffice to say they are different from the 451 mic-amp, and enough so to warrant their usefulness.

Using the TS-1 with their stock caps, I've had success with piano, acoustic gtr, acoustic bass, and drum overheads. I'm not surprised some like it on the mando - SDC's shine on mondo (IMNTFLBHO!!!) and these should be no different.

I think they're worth the money or I would've returned them (thx Warren at Front End Audio) after evaluation.

One caveat - the supplied cables are cheap - one end connector (to mic) stripped after 4 uses - still works fine, tho I hope this is an isolated occurrance and not a run of bad cables...

It seems G. Massenburg has good things to say about them, and he can use damn near anything, so...

My .02 c (now worth approx .02006c US!!!)
Old 12th November 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead View Post
I think they're worth the money or I would've returned them (thx Warren at Front End Audio) after evaluation.
You are welcome, thanks for letting me take care of you.

They are indeed quite decent mics.

War
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

I bought a pair and found that the capsules sounded pretty different from eachother. Brian at PPA helped me out by letting me ear match a few capsules till I got a good match. Now I can say they have incredible low end and are not bright or shrill at all. They have a great body for drum overheads, sometimes too much, but I'd rather have too much body than not enough. They are not toppy sounding at all, but still have very nice detail.

Evan
Old 13th November 2007
Lives for gear

Anybody can compare them to Mojave MA-100s???
Old 13th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
And??? !!
Very nice indeed. Well worth the price.
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Revival!

Has anyone tried the new MKII version? I heard these were supposed to be great. I'm looking for another pair of SDCs as my Rodes are a little harsh in some situations.

Thoughts?? Suggestions?? Tips?? (Just the) Tip??

JROCK
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 View Post
Has anyone tried the new MKII version? I heard these were supposed to be great. I'm looking for another pair of SDCs as my Rodes are a little harsh in some situations.

Thoughts?? Suggestions?? Tips?? (Just the) Tip??

JROCK
That mic seems to get nothing but great reviews. The great promo for that mic right now is that it comes with a LDC head free with purchase.... Looks like a winner.

They also have the "heater" tube-drive on the power supply now for coloration.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search