The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundcraft 600 Series Console Consoles
Old 24th August 2007
Soundcraft 600 Series Console

I have a Soundcraft 800B in my live rig and I love its sound, but that's far from having one in a studio to A/B against other stuff...

Recently I stumbled upon a 600, and I am interested in using for mixing, and summing... Any thoughts on this desk? Anyone have one? or used one? is it worth buying?

I'd love to know how noisy it is, how musical the eq's are, and if it adds any richness passing signal through it...

Oh and any comments on the reliability and maintenance! thanks muchly!
Old 16th March 2008
Lives for gear

I`m in a similar situation , looking for a tracking/mixing console and there`s both a 600 and an 8000 for sale here in Norway.

When you mention these console here at Gearslutz it often turns into a discussion about crosstalk and recapping.

Anyone else care to chime in about the sound of these desk?

Thanks!

Thomas
Old 16th March 2008
Gear Addict

Well, it's all an issue of crosstalk and recapping, you know....

Actually, a local studio here in my area has a 600 series deskthat looks like it saw WWII. I have one of their annual local artist compilation CDs. The disk overall has a great sound, I must say.
Old 21st March 2008
Lives for gear

I chimed in on Thomas' thread about the 8000. I have a TS-24, decomissioned. I did not know a lot about soldiering back then, nor chips and caps. I tried to keep up, but it probably needed a $10k recap when I bought it... anyhow.

I loved the EQ. It is not the same as the 600 nor 8000, but I would guess the sonic signature is similar. TLO72 chips, nice. I like the layout of the board for a studio too. The stereo buss sends, the ease of using Aux sends for a cue send, nice features.

I also advised Thomas to get a good de-soldiering station, and some chips, switches, and maybe some pots from Soundcraft. They take a while to get from Soundcraft, from my recollection.

Good luck!
Old 26th October 2009
Here for the gear

Soundcraft 600 recap

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your input!
My big brother is giving me a mid 80's Soundcraft 600 32 channel board for the price of FREE!!! This board was used for about five years by the original owner for in studio sound design. After this gentle use, my brother acquired it and basically stored it, covered and unplugged, in a relatively dry environment (A Chicago walk-up apartment). It has seen pretty much zero use since about 1991.
My question, hopefully not too redundant, is: will it likely be necessary to recap the whole dang thing, or is there a good chance it hasn't "gone bad" with time?
I'm shipping it to Oregon from Ohio soon, so I haven't had the chance to test it, nor will I before becoming its new owner. I figure, the price is right for this gamble...
Any thoughts?
Thanks!!!
Old 26th October 2009
CAL
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Mind View Post
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your input!
My big brother is giving me a mid 80's Soundcraft 600 32 channel board for the price of FREE!!! This board was used for about five years by the original owner for in studio sound design. After this gentle use, my brother acquired it and basically stored it, covered and unplugged, in a relatively dry environment (A Chicago walk-up apartment). It has seen pretty much zero use since about 1991.
My question, hopefully not too redundant, is: will it likely be necessary to recap the whole dang thing, or is there a good chance it hasn't "gone bad" with time?
I'm shipping it to Oregon from Ohio soon, so I haven't had the chance to test it, nor will I before becoming its new owner. I figure, the price is right for this gamble...
Any thoughts?
Thanks!!!
I've seen many of these boards and, in almost every case, the stock caps were still in good working order. In all likelihood, your board will operate fine. You can check the fidelity of the caps with a signal generator and an oscilloscope.

With that being said, recapping a board like that is relatively easy and not that expensive (especially if you can do it yourself). There aren't that many caps on that board's modules. If you recap, then you can improve the sound by changing values and using caps with low ESR ratings. I suggest upgrading the op amps too while you're in there. You can really make those boards sing!
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

I got one given to me a few years back for doing some install work for a punter. It was pretty dirty but it cleaned up well and once I ran some signal through it, was surprised that is was in fine working order. Caps were all okay and all it needed was a few replacement pots and fader caps.

Anyway, I had kind of dismissed it sonically... left it sit in a room for a few months while it gathered dust again. I came back to it when I needed to bang out a remix quickly (and on the cheap) and couldn't get into my ususal room. Plugged it up, stuck some sampler outputs thru it, plugged up some fx/outboard and went to town..... and holy crap, it was pretty good.

Been a while since so my memory may be a little **** but from what i remember, nice lo mid... little dull on top end. But the final result was surprisingly good.

I think I sold it shortly after because we were emirgrating down here but for a freebie, totally cool desk. Certainly better than a few I've paid for (Mackie anyone? tutt)

C
Old 26th October 2009
Here for the gear

Thanks, Everyone! That's all good news! I'm champin' at the bit to get my hands on this thing!!!
Old 4th September 2010
Here for the gear

Need help with a Soundcraft Sapphyre

Hello All,

this is my first real post. I currently have a Soundcraft 600 that has been well maintained and had a few upgrades done by Jim Williams (Master and two modules) I am happy with the console but just can't seem to get to the next level with my mixes. I only use to mix, I have external pre's for tracking. I have only mixed on an my 600, inside the box, and an SSL G and noticed a huge difference...Openness, depth, etc...on the SSL...of course...I'm not expecting them to compare.

I have the ability to buy a used Soundcraft Sapphyre 44 input/88 mix in great condition with similar mods by Jim Williams for 5k. I am just wondering what kind of quality increase, depth increase, etc...I can expect from the jump to this console. I would appreciate a comparison of the following

1. Eq's
2. Low End response
3. distortion
4. Any other opinions anyone might have....

I so appreciate any response and anyone who has experience with both of these consoles

Ziv
ZivMusic.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search