The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheap Headphones that don't Suck? Studio Headphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Cheap Headphones that don't Suck?

Is there headphone worth using as a second reference with good low end response that won't cost me 400 dollars?
Junk
Old 23rd August 2007
Jai guru deva om

$400 is a lot for headphones, so it's hard to know what you mean by cheap.

The Sennheiser HD280 are a no brainer at $99 for closed cans with deep bass.

The AKG K141S are excellent semi-open cans for $99, less fatiguing.

The Beyer DT770 are more but you may find them worth it.

War
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

The new Audio Technica M50. Can be had for just over 100 bucks, best bass I've ever heard out of headphones. And they aren't bassy, just solid and powerful low end.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear
I love my Grado SR60s.

SR60

Can usually find them for about $70.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Sennheiser HD202s are okay. Sounds good, but a bit 'fuzzy'. $30
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

I've used the AKG 240's for a long time and they are great for $130. But, I just recently purchased the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PROs for $200 and the $70 difference was worth every penny. They are very noticeably different. Good Luck.

dp
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

industry standards: Sony V6's. exact same as 7506, except silver connect.

cheapest and still new, under $70:

Sony MDR-V6 Studio Monitor Headphones
Old 23rd August 2007
i've got a pair of $100 Sony MDR 7506 i been using for over a decade that i like.
theyre a little hyped on the top end but thats easy to get used to. (helps me spot hiss)
comfortable & have pretty good tone for relatively cheap.

also picked up a few $30 Sennheiser HD202's for multi headphone recording. great for the price. if my Sony's went out i'd check out the Sennheiser HD280's or Beyer DT 770.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

+1 Sennheiser HD280's. Accurate, no hype.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamm View Post
+1 Sennheiser HD280's. Accurate, no hype.
I got a pair for $78 bucks, and do not regret it for a second........I used cheap Samson rh600's for years. (which crushed my ears) but sounded ok to me.

The 280's make me look like a martian, but you can sleep in these things they are that comfortable. Sound great once you get used to them.

I track better with them, don't know why, guess just hearing more balance in the sound I guess.

The only thing to question is how long they will last....
Old 24th August 2007
+1 Beyer DT770

Go to a store and listen to them all!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

<< Sony V6's. exact same as 7506, except silver connect. >>

Is this really true? If so that is a great deal for under $70!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

+1 on the HD280s. I love them.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
<< Sony V6's. exact same as 7506, except silver connect. >>

Is this really true? If so that is a great deal for under $70!

yep. you can read about it to your hearts content @ headfi.org...
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

another +1 on the HD280's. I use them in the studio and for DJing. They are pretty well built too, withstand a few knocks
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I bought 5 pair of Harvey Gerst's "More Me" headphones. They are excelent for the money........$30.00 ea for the delux edition. They are very sturdy, they have good isolation, comfortable pads, a Stereo/Mono switch & a 1/4" plug so I don't have to bitch about not being able to find those stupid 1/8 to 1/4 adapters for everyone. Since getting these I have tracked a couple of loud bands & they both complemented the headphone mix. They have a good warrenty & Harvey also sells a good quality, heavy headphone extension which is absolutely necessary because these headphones only have a 3 or 4 foot cord.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman714 View Post
I bought 5 pair of Harvey Gerst's "More Me" headphones. They are excelent for the money........$30.00 ea for the delux edition. They are very sturdy, they have good isolation, comfortable pads, a Stereo/Mono switch & a 1/4" plug so I don't have to bitch about not being able to find those stupid 1/8 to 1/4 adapters for everyone. Since getting these I have tracked a couple of loud bands & they both complemented the headphone mix. They have a good warrenty & Harvey also sells a good quality, heavy headphone extension which is absolutely necessary because these headphones only have a 3 or 4 foot cord.
the "more me" cans are great for tracking, but i'd avoid them as a second reference for critical listening...it's an eq bump that makes them "more me"...
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Now that I re-read the original question I see your point. They are indeed great for tracking though.......carry on.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

+1 for grados. they are nice, cheap, and make you look like you're taking a hearing test in 1978.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

the bayers are great sounding headphones but I'd like to mention they defenitely have a coloration to them. As far as I can tell the highs are a little rolled off a bit and there's a bass boost around 150 kHz or so. They kind of sound like a computer speaker in headphone form.. very smooth and scooped mids. Not exactly a phone I'd use for decision making, defenitely one I'd use for listening enjoyment.

also, you cant go wrong with Senn HD280's.. they're very revealing of problems, especially in the high frequencies.

Bill
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Fostex T20RP MKII

They are awesome if your just using them for mixing and stuff.....there not very good to give to a drummer or someone recording that moves around alot.....unless thay have a huge head they will slip off every 10 seconds
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Anybody try those Direct Audio Extreme Isolation Headphones?
I'm curious if they work as well as advertised.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Sony MDR-V150. Yep, you've probably seen these at "wally world" and a few other places.

(+) They sound really good,
(+) Price i$ right,
(+) No annoying in cord volume like the 250's,
(+) No MEGA BASS or any other pretentious BS.

(-) 1/8" plug, need adaptor for 1/4",
(-) Earcaps not painted red/blue.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Just want to say I got the Senn 280s and I'm loving them, thanks so much for the suggestions, this forum rocks. For anyone in my situation the Senn HD280s are the bomb.
Junk
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

For anyone in my situation the Senn HD280s are the bomb.

Dat be true. thumbsup
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

gradogradogradogradogradogradogradogradogradogradogradogradogradogradogradogrado
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk027 View Post
I got a pair for $78 bucks, and do not regret it for a second........I used cheap Samson rh600's for years. (which crushed my ears) but sounded ok to me.

The 280's make me look like a martian, but you can sleep in these things they are that comfortable. Sound great once you get used to them.

I track better with them, don't know why, guess just hearing more balance in the sound I guess.

The only thing to question is how long they will last....

the HD280 sounds good, i won't have any doubt about that, but comfort i wouldn't even mix with that, all closed headphone is crazy crazy uncomfortable, sorry but it's not physically possible to make them comfortble with the amount of clamp they have to put on and having no air in there is killing for the ears.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Head

I have yet to see in mentioning the Grados a mention of the fact that they are open back, and bleed heavily into hot condenser mics and also they will feedback easily in front of a hot vocal signal chain- I have had Grados for years and they are excellent mixing headphones, but not at all good for tracking really, but they are light, comfy, and hi-fi for sure-
The Extreme Isolation phones are a great concept, I bought 3 pairs, but 2 have broken under light use in like no time, a few months. The construction is just lousy to say the least-I will never buy these junkers again-
The isolation aspect is nice though, and they are unbeatable for drum tracking and keeping a click outta the overheads-
The Sony's I've had seem to break easily as well, numero uno for my money in real studio wear and tear are Fostex Headphones, the T-20's and T-40's, these things are like cockroaches, they will not die, or at least they last quite a while-
I've never had Sennheisers or Beyers, but the 770's I would LOVE to own, very comfy, and great, but not cheap-

My $.02
5star
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk View Post
Is there headphone worth using as a second reference with good low end response that won't cost me 400 dollars?
Junk
Sennheiser MX300 for around 10 bucks will do it..............
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
the HD280 sounds good, i won't have any doubt about that, but comfort i wouldn't even mix with that, all closed headphone is crazy crazy uncomfortable, sorry but it's not physically possible to make them comfortble with the amount of clamp they have to put on and having no air in there is killing for the ears.
Compared to what I was using they are super comfortable, I can wear them for 3-4 hours while recording and mixin and they don't bother me a bit.

I have a small dome so I'm sure that helps, I heard people complain about comfort, but not me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search