The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choice of budget monitors... Studio Monitors
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Choice of budget monitors...

Hi

I would like to pick up some budget monitors for techno/electronic mixing. It seems like monitors are well documented in the forums, but I would really appreciate opinions relating to this style of music (I mix with tons of compression, and some clarity in the low end would be very useful). Mix in a smallish room, I plan on getting some acoustic treatment. The monitors/prices I have short-listed are noted below:

Group 1 (can barely fit my budget)
Tascam VL-5X ($300)
Samson Rubicon6A ($475)
Event TR6-N ($550)
KRK RP8 ($550)

Group 2 (can fit my budget if I have a momentary lapse of reason)
Yamaha HS80M ($700)
Tannoy Reveal 5a ($700)
Event TR8-N ($700)

I appreciate any comments. Thanks guys and gals, I've been reading these forums for a while and really enjoy the posts!

p.s. If anyone suggests Mackie 824's I'm going to curl up in ball and cry like a baby.
Old 23rd August 2007

What hang-up do you have with the Mackies (since they seem well suited to your uses...)?

-tINY

Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, 824's are quality monitors and well suited for electronic-based music...But they're not in your budget anyway.

But the RP8's probably offer the best value for quality on the market. I lent mine to the studio down the street for a week and they didn't want to give 'em back.
Old 23rd August 2007
Old 23rd August 2007
Tannoy Reveal
Old 23rd August 2007
Jai guru deva om

The Yamaha HS80M are pretty nice actually, since you're going for bass heavy mixing I would likely consider them in that price range.

War
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

What hang-up do you have with the Mackies (since they seem well suited to your uses...)?

-tINY

No hang-up with the Mackies - as t.dizzle said not in my budget. Would love to buy used, but none up here (I'm in Canada and, even with the strong currency, the shipping + duties + tax become well over a grand for a pair). eBay has a few, but prices already high with more bidding to come!

I thought about the KRK V6, but they're discontinued and tough to find north of the border now. Tannoy 5's maybe too small. Tascam's seem beatable with my budget. Nobody seems to prefer events.

Thank's Warhead for the post. I'm really thinking of exploring the Yamaha HS80M. I'd prefer not to use a sub, so their bass response might work for me in the long run. But I'm concerned about harshness. I like scooping out mids, I fear I will overdo it on Yamahas. In any event, aren't 8" speakers light on the mids anyway? How are the HS80M's in this respect?

Hmmm... RP8 vs. HS80M...

Thanks to everyone who replied already. Greatly appreciated. thumbsup
Old 23rd August 2007
Jai guru deva om

HS80M kills those RP8 all day long in every way in my opinion.

All 8" 2-way monitors I find have varying degrees of a midrange "scoop" to them.

The HS80M suffer it way less than those RP8, Tapco S8, etc.

The Mackie HR824 do even better at delivering a flat response (I've been mixing on a pair since like 1998?) but if they're out of reach, they're out of reach. The HR624 have amazing bass for a 6+ inch driver and the mids are nice and forward and detailed...!

War
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Lovin' my Blue Skys here. The Media 2.1 is in your budget, and flippin' killer for a 3 piece. No fatigue, and very natural bass. I get my mix on whatever I play it on now.

Plus there are some huge space saver advantages if you have a concern for smallish rooms.
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotomotor View Post
No hang-up with the Mackies - as t.dizzle said not in my budget. Would love to buy used, but none up here (I'm in Canada and, even with the strong currency, the shipping + duties + tax become well over a grand for a pair). eBay has a few, but prices already high with more bidding to come!
FYI - FOR SALE Mackie HR824's $700
FS: mackie HR824's - SIDE-LINE.COM
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
FYI - FOR SALE Mackie HR824's $700
FS: mackie HR824's - SIDE-LINE.COM
Thanks for the info, but unfortunately the post says: "buyer pays shipping, and only within the continental US." If he shipped to canada, that still means +taxes +customs +currency +shipping. I'm back up over a grand.

If you could point me to a used pair of Mackie/Dynaudio in Canada, I would buy immediately.

Thanks though!
Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
That means +taxes +customs +currency +shipping. I'm back up over a grand.

At least health care is free.....

-tINY

Old 24th August 2007
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but unfortunately the post says: "buyer pays shipping, and only within the continental US." That means +taxes +customs +currency +shipping. I'm back up over a grand.

If you could point me to a used pair of Mackie/Dynaudio in Canada, I would buy immediately.

Thanks though!
foiled again!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

+1 on Blue Sky...no fatigue, excellent translate-ability.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

At least health care is free.....

-tINY

I pay a 14% sales tax. I wouldn't call it free.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I was on a tight budget and got the KRK Rokit-8's and I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe its my ears, or the way I mix, or maybe I am just used to them-- but my mixes seem to translate nicely and I haven't had any problems. I love listening to records through them too-- and for me they work great on anything from experimental electro-acoustic compositions to rap and hip hop...
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanh View Post
I was on a tight budget and got the KRK Rokit-8's and I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe its my ears, or the way I mix, or maybe I am just used to them-- but my mixes seem to translate nicely and I haven't had any problems. I love listening to records through them too-- and for me they work great on anything from experimental electro-acoustic compositions to rap and hip hop...

I don't have the luxury of listening to the Rokits before I buy. Can they deliver good enough bass response w/o a sub, and can you still work with the mid-range?

Thanks again.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Well, I don't want to be held responsible if they aren't to your taste in the end but I think they are one of the only options in the price range that does have that low end. Like I said, I do a ton of rap and hip hop on them just fine-- and you have the option of adding the RP sub in the future if you ever want-- but I like em as it.

Furthermore, I know a number of people that do only electronic/idm/electornica type stuff and they swear by them...

I really like them, but if the spent the last 10 years mixing on speakers 5 times the price, you might like something else...
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I don't have the luxury of listening to the Rokits before I buy. Can they deliver good enough bass response w/o a sub, and can you still work with the mid-range?

Thanks again.
Lots of bass - some might consider them a bit bass heavy. I find the bass also is relatively easy to smooth out if you're in a less than ideal space. The front-firing port seems to help avoid funky noises if you're up against a wall/corner.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

I guess its RP8 vs. HS80M.

From what I've read (whatever that means), the HS80M will translate well to consumer gear, but will have much greater fatigue from the harsh highs. I've heard of people taping a tissue on the tweeter of the NS10s to alleviate this.

The RP8 (I've read) is a bit lacking in the bass for an 8" woofer. And the mids are more scooped than the HS80M. But, I'm not sure how mixes will translate to consumer gear.

Are the HS80M's worth an extra $150 for someone on an RP8 budget? Should I get a white cone or yellow?
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
I guess its RP8 vs. HS80M.

From what I've read (whatever that means), the HS80M will translate well to consumer gear, but will have much greater fatigue from the harsh highs. I've heard of people taping a tissue on the tweeter of the NS10s to alleviate this.

The RP8 (I've read) is a bit lacking in the bass for an 8" woofer. And the mids are more scooped than the HS80M. But, I'm not sure how mixes will translate to consumer gear.

Are the HS80M's worth an extra $150 for someone on an RP8 budget? Should I get a white cone or yellow?
HS80M's have a mid cut switch on the back that (in the manual) they recommend enabling to drop 2kHz -2dB's for longer monitoring sessions. Personally I don't think they're as harsh as NS10's but just as accurate- Yamaha has just increased the bass response. I too was comparing them to HR824's, and though I tried convincing myself to buy the Mackies (given I work at an authorized dealer and staff discount is kickass), side by side comparison made me go to a competitor to get a pair of HS80's. The transparency of these speakers is unbelievable, and I don't think it's coincidental that their predecessor the NS10 is industry standard.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdseptor View Post
HS80M's have a mid cut switch on the back that (in the manual) they recommend enabling to drop 2kHz -2dB's for longer monitoring sessions. Personally I don't think they're as harsh as NS10's but just as accurate- Yamaha has just increased the bass response. I too was comparing them to HR824's, and though I tried convincing myself to buy the Mackies (given I work at an authorized dealer and staff discount is kickass), side by side comparison made me go to a competitor to get a pair of HS80's. The transparency of these speakers is unbelievable, and I don't think it's coincidental that their predecessor the NS10 is industry standard.
Thanks for the great info. I'm realizing my mixes would be better off with better monitors (and some more practice ). So I've dropped the KRK Rokits.

I'm focussing on some used Mackie 824 vs. Yam HS80M. Both about the same price.

Cheers!
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I just got home from a road trip, and during some down time I stopped at a GC to listen to monitors. I wound up walking out with a pair of HSM80's for $250 a piece. Find a desperate sales guy at a GC and hook it up.

Currently, I'm listening to 'Abbey Road' on my brand new Yamaha's, and there is sooo much more definition and clarity in the Yamaha's than there was on my old Tannoy Reveals.

Also, as far is mid's go, the HSM80's have a +/- 2db /flat switch on them, as well as low end settings to compensate for extra low end if you have your monitors closer to a wall.

so far I give these things 2 thumbs up.

cheers
g
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

I'm all over it. I'm bucking the Mackie 824 trend and ordering the HS80Ms tomorrow. I'll post a little review in a few weeks.

Thanks for the all the help.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm all over it. I'm bucking the Mackie 824 trend and ordering the HS80Ms tomorrow. I'll post a little review in a few weeks.

Thanks for the all the help.
Nice choise.
I would take the Yamys over the Mackies without thinking twice.
I've used them both, and the Yamys have fewer faults than the Mackies.

Good luck
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Thumbs up Yamaha HS80M

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
HS80M kills those RP8 all day long in every way in my opinion.

War

+1 Yamaha HS80M!

Many of my friends own them and they are good bang for the buck monitors. And yes, they kill the RP8!
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

i would honestly go the tannoys 5a over the yamahas.
smaller, and therefor less bass, but some of the best monitors i have heard in their price range. i prefer ther the tannoy 5a's over the 6d's.. and i VERY much prefereed the 6d's over rhe yamaha's...

But as everyone knows, its personal, your room etc etc.

but my tannoy 5a's i will never sell thumbsup
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I just sold my HR-824's for 400 bucks.

I struggled with them for too many years to mention.

My mixes improved within days of their exit. heh

If you can push it up to a grand, Adams A7's are exceptional in my opinion.

Many people can work with the Mackies, but i just couldnt learn them.
Too deceptively good sounding.
T
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

I really like the V4s i have used many many different monitors and the bookshelfs work great, they let me know whats going on in the spectrum the best, the low/ low mid section would be hard to beat.
Old 28th August 2007
Yamaha or Tannoy's!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search