The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choice of budget monitors... Studio Monitors
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

I went from M-Audio Studio Pro 4s to HS80Ms so I obviously saw a big improvement. But I think that mixes on them translate really well. Although the sound treatments in my room now make a big difference.
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

While I'm waiting for my HS80M's, I noticed that they are rated at -10db, as opposed to a 'standard' -3db or even (-1.5db for Mackies).

-10db seems like a lot, maybe they're not really that effective in the lower 50hz range.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I had a demo of the HS series (a few years back when Yamaha first released them) in the treated listening area of a major L.A. gear dealer. The sales rep, who was all jacked up and praising the HS', played an Allen Sides recorded big band/jazz record for a studio owner and myself and A/B'd the HS' to a set of nearfield Tannoy's (forgot which ones). I ended up pointing out many discrepancies of the HS' during the A/B test...So much that the sales rep became quite flustered and red in the face and ultimately admitted that he had never noticed what I heard until that day. I guess they're ok for $500, but I'd never buy them. They look nice though. BTW, my criticism of the HS' didn't lead to a "no sale" for the dealer...The studio owner that I was with ended up buying a set of $8000 Questeds instead!

I own both RP8's and NS-10's and believe it or not, the mids of the RP8's are similar to 10's and can be trusted. A lot of folks tend to compare them to 824's, but that is a mistake. I've recorded and mixed more than a few platinum records on 824's, but now I prefer my RP8's. And whoever said that RP8's don't have enough bass is deaf. They THUMP - without the "hyped" stuff. Like I said before, the local studio near me - equipped with 824's - borrowed my RP8's and didn't want to give them back. I used to be embarrased by owning a set of $500 active monitors, but the RP8's are starting to gain somewhat of a cult following in the rap and electronic music world. Plus, my mixes done on them are slammin'!
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but.....

One of my event monitors just miraculously died. Which in actuality turned out to be a good thing because now I have a mono mix to listen to, and my mixes are coming out nicer. But I still need a great pair of monitors for my home studio. I have been thinking about the Adams A7? The one's for about a grand. But have never heard them yet.

I am looking for a flat monitor that sounds great but I only have a grand to spend, what are your suggestions? I don't have the time to go into a GC and listen to monitors all day and would like to go in with a narrowed down selection.

Please help.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Not really "hip" but i have the Esi nEAR05 Experience monitors. Cost 225 Euro's per pair, great stereo-imaging and very good build-quality.
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

We use M-Audio BX-5a's in our startout studio. I like the sound of em, quite a bit of bass as well, they tend to shake the walls a touch sometimes

Somethign to look into.. i think we got ours for $400 something CAD plus tax of course.
Old 21st November 2007
Gear Maniac

Well, I speak for my experience. KRK RP8s. If you want to hear some pieces mixed with them and helped by Sony V6 headphones along with standard consumer speakers: MySpace.com - SAM STiZER - Medellin, Antioquia - Progressive / House / Electro - www.myspace.com/samstizer

Best
Old 21st November 2007
Gear Maniac

I just got some Adam A7's and the depth is incredible. Very much a spotlight on the midrange. I've seen them compared functionally to NS-10s but without sounding like crap.
Old 21st November 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat+ac30 View Post
I just got some Adam A7's and the depth is incredible. Very much a spotlight on the midrange. I've seen them compared functionally to NS-10s but without sounding like crap.
Whats your word about the bass extension for mixing house, hip-hop on the adams?
Old 3rd February 2008
+1 happy hs80m user!
Old 3rd February 2008
Gear Nut

I compared a few sets in that price range and at the time I definitely felt the HS80M's suited what I was looking for the best.

Nothing in that price range is going to be amazing, so it's important to think about how you mix, the qualities you're going for, your room, etc. and to try and find something that will complement that well.

I would say the HS80M's have a pretty solid mid-range, but that I tend to trust their ability to translate somewhat less in the high-end and much less in the low bass (sub 80 Hz). It also is heavily room and distance-dependent, though. I have a friend with a pair of HS80M's that listens to them about 2 feet from his head and his mixes translate remarkably well.

To each their own...
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Addict
forget about the events...the tr6 drivers cannot handle electronic music with a lot of bass...i upgraded to the tr8xl and they were marginally better but still not so great.

i would recommend tapco's line of monitors. i got the smaller ones and the subwoofer, never looked back. my tracks sound much better than when i had the events.
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstatic View Post
i would recommend tapco's line of monitors. i got the smaller ones and the subwoofer, never looked back. my tracks sound much better than when i had the events.
Did you test some subwoofers in the category before buying the tapco?
Specially the tannoy TS8 and TS10, M audio bx10 and the krk s10?
Old 4th February 2008
Gear Maniac

If you can look for older used pairs of speakers, you can find some pretty nice stuff. Im thinking that if you want to buy something cheap for now, youre better of going PRETTY cheap and then saving up for PRETTY NICE later on.

Therefor I would be looking for something durable that will last, can be taken around, and then have a use after you get the really nice ones. Both of these speakers can be found for under 300 bucks, and personally, I love them both.

Tascam VLX5

http://cachepe.samedaymusic.com/medi...4692ec2b9a.jpg

Fostex 6301

http://www.pro-sound.com/Catalog/SPE...1beavslant.jpg
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaroja View Post
Did you test some subwoofers in the category before buying the tapco?
Specially the tannoy TS8 and TS10, M audio bx10 and the krk s10?
i tested the krk and a fostex. they were both too boomy for me. frankly i don't trust m-audio for anything, especially their line of monitors.

you aren't going to get the best with anything in that price range, so i figured i was at least minimizing the issues by getting a sub which only fires directly without a bass reflex design. i'm pretty sure the other subs in that range do not have individual freely variable crossovers per channel either.
Old 5th February 2008
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

2 Thumbs up for the yammies- awesome, great mixes.
Old 5th February 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstatic View Post
you aren't going to get the best with anything in that price range, so i figured i was at least minimizing the issues by getting a sub which only fires directly without a bass reflex design. i'm pretty sure the other subs in that range do not have individual freely variable crossovers per channel either.
Any word about the Tannoy TS8 or the Adam Sub8?
Big question here: would an 8" driver do ok or it has to be a 10"
Old 28th February 2008
Gear Head

Tannoy Reveal

I am Running Tannoy Reveal 6 Passive with a Alesis Ra300 Amp. Chrystal Clear, Good Bass, and Loud as F**K. Got Em Cheap on E-bay. Sweet. Not impressed with KRK Samson or any other low end monitors. Tannoys just have a more "real" sound. They certainly don't sound cheap. Great to mix on.
Although the samson with the ribbon tweeter don't sound bad, I like the tannoys much better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search