The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Michrophone Choice Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Michrophone Choice

Alright I am on a strict budget but I am looking at 900 dollars to spend on a microphone. Unfortunately its either I buy one nice condenser microphone or a cheaper condenser and some dynamics. I am actually going to record this girl thats sings unbelievable and goes to church. I really wanna get a decent microphone for her voice and for future recordings. Any suggestions on mic's? I keep hearing the 414 is perfect or ksm44 but I'm not sure. I have heard the 414 on acoustic guitars and it sounds amazing but I've never heard it on vocals. Any suggestions guys I'm a newby feed me more knowledge
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

The 414 is a great versatile mic. Mic choice is all about the source. Some voices sound great with a U-47, others an SM-58, so you see it is difficult to answer your question. You need to get what is right for you and your needs.
Old 23rd August 2007

I'd try out a few mics if possible.

The Heil PR20 and PR30 are worth looking at. These are dynamics but sound more like condensers. They have good clarity in the midrange. Not terribly expensive and they'll work great on guitars and drums if you need that later.

The EV RE410 and RE510 are pretty safe choices - they are accurate and inexpensive. They don't color the sound much (which is sometimes just the thing you want).

The LDCs get hard. A lot of them will sound great on one voice and bad on another. The less expensive ones that I've had good luck with are the CAD M179, the Rode NT1-a, the Shure KSM27, and the AT4033/cl.

The older AKG414 B-ULS was pretty good on a lot of sources too.

A girl with a great voice that goes to church.... How old is she? Is she single?

-tINY

Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Microphone Choice

Thanks man LOL na she's taken by my wifes cousin sorry but she just sings for church. She can get in the music industry but its part of her religion to sing for god but omg if he hears her man she's got a voice.I was thinking about the ksm27 at first because it's suppose to be decent mic for vocals and acoustic guitars but so is the 414. They keep on rubbin that 414 and I'm thinking about it but if I get that than its just that but if I get a ksm then I can buy some dynamics, so Im getting frustrated
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I have 2 shure ksm 32s. Used them for a LONG time as my money condensers. The good thing about them is they never ever sound bad. But they also never ever sound great. Its almost like a non source dependant mic, in that you know you are going to get something useable, but nothing astonishing.

I had a 414 b-uls, and on a lot of people it did sound really great, on me it sounded beyond awful (don't know why). I bet the 414 will work though. They work well on other sources as well.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

You might give these a look too.

OktavaMod - Shop

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search