The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best affordable Condenser for Higher Pitched voices? Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Best affordable Condenser for Higher Pitched voices?

My voice isn't deep..but it's a bit higher pitched. What's a good mic that picks up higher pitched voices? Right now I have an AT3035. You can check my tracks out to help me decide.. SoundClick artist: MiKe 0 - Band page with free MP3 music downloads on SoundClick. Thanks yall!
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

I recently recorded a band in which the singer basically sung in falsetto the majority of the time, and I must say that his balls must have been in a vice to get as high as he did.. But I used a Groove Tubes GT60 that I picked up from someone here and it did a great job of capturing it. New, the mics run around 600, but used you can find them for less than 300!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

LOL thanks man. I'll look into it! Any other suggestions?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Interestingly, my suggestion is also a Groove Tubes. I have a Alesis AM-11 which is the same mic as a GT 55. It has a smooth, somewhat dark top end that does well on high pitched voices. I also use this mic on hardcore singers.

You can find these used for pretty reasonable money.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Someone on guitarcenter.com said this mic is the same as a GT55 -
Buy Sterling Audio ST55 Large Diaphragm FET Condenser Mic at Guitar Center

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yup, that's the one.

Quote:
Someone on guitarcenter.com said this mic is the same as a GT55 -
Buy Sterling Audio ST55 Large Diaphragm FET Condenser Mic at Guitar Center

Can anyone confirm this?
It sure looks like it and it's interesting that they use the 55 model designation but I've never heard that this is the same thing as a GT55. Interesting.....
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

^ Thanks bro. Yeah, I did some research and found out that the mic is made in China..and basically is a duplicate..but I'm just wondering if the quality of the mic is the same.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 0 View Post
My voice isn't deep..but it's a bit higher pitched. What's a good mic that picks up higher pitched voices? Right now I have an AT3035. You can check my tracks out to help me decide.. SoundClick artist: MiKe 0 - Band page with free MP3 music downloads on SoundClick. Thanks yall!

I thought this had been beat to death already: KEL HM-1 ~$130

Regards,
David
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

KEL HM-1? Never heard of it. Pretty affordable! What's good about it?
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

Yo..well I can't really find a GT55 ANYWHERE..I've lost 2 bids on ebay and I'm stuck. What are some other good ones?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

the Sterling 55 pimped by guitar center is indeed a rebadged GT 55. i've read that GT has stopped selling mics under the GT moniker altogether and that Sterling is the name they're selling mics under now.

On a voice such as yours, i'd probably pull out my MXL V67. combined with some judicious placement, it adds a little ass to vocals and seems to beef up thin voices.

and usually around $70 used, it's one of those "why not give it a try" mics.

cheers,
wade
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 0 View Post
KEL HM-1? Never heard of it. Pretty affordable! What's good about it?
Go check 'em out at kelaudio.com

I have a pair of Kel Audio HM-1s and they are among some of my favourite mics... awesome as drum OHs and tom mics. Their smaller size makes them a breeze for squeezing into tight places, and they are tough little buggers.

Good for fattening up thin sounding vocalists, or help minimize sibilance. I recently used one on a punk vocalist and got great results... he really liked the un-hyped "in your face" sound we got with them, and they handled his wild dynamics without breaking a sweat.

They have a fairly flat response, without a big "prescence" bump or hyped high end, like you would get say with a SP C-1, or Rode NT1A. Excellent detail especially in mids and low mids, and a nice smooth rounded top end. More like a broadcast-type dynamic than a SDC. And cheap like popcorn at $129 US.

Worth checking out
Old 27th August 2007
Motown legend

The main issue with cheap condenser mikes is sibilance. That is very much a specific singer-microphone issue so I would strongly recommend trying as many different ones as you can.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search