The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making your own "sub-kick"...what speaker to use. Studio Monitors
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Making your own "sub-kick"...what speaker to use.

I tried using the search but after mowing through several pages, I gave up. I found a way to actually make it once you have the speaker. However, my question is, is there a speaker size/type/brand that is most suitable for this type of conversion? I'm sure I could build it for A LOT cheaper than that Sub-Kick that Yamaha is selling.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'd like to know how, although I can't offer much info on the speaker type. I would assume you would need something with a large cone like a 10"...

-ScottyD
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
I'd like to know how, although I can't offer much info on the speaker type. I would assume you would need something with a large cone like a 10"...

-ScottyD
digitaldrummer.net - Sub-Kick project
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Not sure if this would fit the bill... but Carvin has an 8 inch speaker for $29.99 on sale right now

Carvin Guitars and Pro Audio

-ScottyD
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, but I was asking if there was a specific speaker I need to be looking at. Example: Yahama NS10 speaker.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

the bigger and stiffer the speaker the more high gets rejected ...
so a very heavy 18" will only give you sub sub low
a 15" gives a nice ooomph below 100hz
a small 8 or 10" is ok for toms-"bottom" and bass

to answer your question :

i use a beyma xm15 (coaxial but the tweeter is dead)
(this is a big and very heavy PA speaker)

i only use it on kick ( ---> i allways use it when i record kick)
for bass, toms, guitars, anything else i would use a smaller speaker (around 10")

succes with your build (just try any speaker .. car - house - your monitors ? )

lol, grtz,

wim
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

well doesnt yamaha only use an 8" in the subkick?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

an 8 to 10" will be perfect. don't buy something expensive. go to a thrift store and buy an 8 or a 10 inch speaker that feels like it moves easily. the 8 and 10 inch will pick up the lowest of the low end without the low mids of a larger, thicker speaker.

you can just connect the speaker to a 1/4" TS plug using speaker cable.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks!
Old 23rd August 2007
I've used a homemade one that actually had an NS10 8in, in it... I've heard car speakers are actually REALLY good for super punchy lows, but they're low output... give it a shot...
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Try not to use anything over a 10" speaker. I've tried 12s and 15s. These just produce sub-frequencies a mastering engineer would slop off.
Old 23rd August 2007
pan
Lives for gear

I have wired a 4" and an 8" speaker - the 4" gets more use than the bigger one:

I get a nice long tone with the small speaker - I simply stick it to a snare-stand with the magnet. The larger just produces a thud with one and a half cycles, whereas the 4" gives me 3 to 4 cycles for a nice boom!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

the yamaha has a 6.5 " speaker i believe. just wire up the positive and negative correctly to a 1/4 inch jack and plug it into a direct box.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

I got a couple of speakers form a boot sale for free that had just been left

They both had 8" speakers so I ripped out the speaker and made a suitable frame and wired it up to an XLR lead.It works great and cost me nothing so i suggest you try what ever you can get your hands on you may just get lucky.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Thankyou, good sirs! I just made one and it sounds great!

I used it along side a really ****ty dynamic, cut all the bass out of it, leaving only the slap and they sound really solid together. Which is good, as it frees up my better (though still shameful) mics for other drums.

Thanks again
Old 25th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidorange View Post
the yamaha has a 6.5 " speaker i believe. just wire up the positive and negative correctly to a 1/4 inch jack and plug it into a direct box.
I actually just wired the Positive terminal to Hot, Negative to Cold, and wired the speaker chassis itself to Shield... and it sounds great...
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

I have a 12-inch Pioneer speak that I use for kick and a couiple of smaller ones for different effects. Love 'em.
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

since you all seem to know about building these, where do I find such documentation?
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

One of the simplest mods ever. Solder a quarter-inch cable to the speaker output posts, negative to negative, plus to plus, plug into a direct box, plug into your mixer. You might have to go thru a preamp to jack up the signal but other than that you should be good. As for mounting, either use steel or aluminum strips attached to a heavy base. The speaker\mic can then be height adjustable.
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

THAT'S IT!!!! Awesome I've even got an old drum I can mount it inside so I put right on percusion hardware. this is gona be sweet.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Does the speaker trick really sound better than putting a LDC outside the kick drum??? Can anbody compare the sound of their homeade Subkick to the Yamaha packaged Subkick??
Thanks,
cam
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

yea...i would just find some random-ass 6.5" or 8" speaker

as long as it's in decent condition, and is made of a rigid material, it shouldn't much matter for only picking up low-end
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:

That's pretty cool. Much cuter than mine. I may have to try the drum shell approach with the next one I build.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I made a ghetto DIY subkick a while ago

http://colourofsound.8088.org/0.jpg

http://colourofsound.8088.org/1.jpg

Doesnt sound as good without the dope paint job

Much speaker excursion fun to be had!

gfx
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I tried to make one of these last week. First I used an extra 10" Eminence driver from one of my Ampeg bass cabs. I figured, it's a bass speaker, it'll pick up alot of bass. NOPE. the stiffer the speaker, the less the response. After talking to some people, the consensus I heard was, that you need to use a low wattage (higher sensitivity) full range speaker. I stuck an old bose SA200 bookshelf speaker in front, and it sounded 100 times as good as the 10" bass speaker.

-g
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
I made a ghetto DIY subkick a while ago

http://colourofsound.8088.org/0.jpg

http://colourofsound.8088.org/1.jpg

Doesnt sound as good without the dope paint job

Much speaker excursion fun to be had!

gfx
I would love to see these, but the links don't appear to work.
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
I tried to make one of these last week. First I used an extra 10" Eminence driver from one of my Ampeg bass cabs. I figured, it's a bass speaker, it'll pick up alot of bass. NOPE. the stiffer the speaker, the less the response. After talking to some people, the consensus I heard was, that you need to use a low wattage (higher sensitivity) full range speaker. I stuck an old bose SA200 bookshelf speaker in front, and it sounded 100 times as good as the 10" bass speaker.
Yeah, some of those older Ampeg speakers are 32 ohm--way too stiff to use as a subkick but perfect for those big bass cabs. That's why those older SVT cabs sound different than the newer ones which have 8 or 16 ohm speakers.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Considered using a subwoofer in a box? A JBL PSW-Dxxx comes to mind. A check with a few hi-fi repair shops in your area may yield one at little or no cost. JBL's supplier of amp modules for these abandoned ship years ago, and they are sometimes brought in on the off chance it may be a loose solder on open cap causing the malady. I have a couple of these in my storage locker.
I can't help but wonder if a driver in an enclosure wouldn't perform better than a naked driver out in the room. Back radation of the driver in reverse.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

The Latest RUSH album used Yahama NS10m Just for the purpose i believe it was a woofer wired to a XLR its in the latest EQ mag

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search