The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making your own "sub-kick"...what speaker to use. Studio Monitors
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear
What's important in a WooferKikMike

1. Sensitivity. A woofer with high electrical efficiency will give a bigger signal than a low-sensitivity home-hi-fi woofer. I'd be looking for an older AlNiCo-Magnet 15" loudspeaker by University, EV, or Altec (in the USA).
2. Baffle size and mounting. A wider baffle board will give better bass response on any size speaker because the bass wave tries to go around the speaker and cancel the speaker movement. Longer distance=less cancellation.
3. Expect to pad and EQ the signal.

--->. We are doing this because it's cheap and can get okay results. DIY with available materials, not by buying commercial pre-fab products. You might as well buy an EV N/D868, and not worry, as buy a "Sub-Kick" product. <----

Cheers.
Old 4th September 2007
I cut one end off of a mic cable and put alligator clips on. Then I just grab whatever amp is around (like my Fender Deluxe), and attach the alligator clips to the speaker terminals and face the amp into the kick drum.
I also sometimes do this for recording bass guitar (speaker mic facing into the bass amp speaker).
Anyway, it sounds great and I don't have to remove any speaker from an amp or buy an additional speaker. And because of the alligator clips it's not a permanent connection so I can try it with different amps just by removing/attaching clips.

Jimmi
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanojohn View Post
I've used a homemade one that actually had an NS10 8in, in it... I've heard car speakers are actually REALLY good for super punchy lows, but they're low output... give it a shot...
Does anyone know more about car speakers being low output? Does it have anything to do with the wattage of the speaker?
Old 11th November 2013
A couple of years ago me and a few guys I worked with made this video. We used a Fender Blues Junior...also tried it out with a Tannoy 6.5" Monitor but ended up using the fender for the video.

Make your own Subkick
Old 11th November 2013
Here for the gear

I used a 10" out of a no-name home stereo speaker I found. I mounted it in a 10" Tom i found for $15. It screwed perfectly into the bearing edge. I even put the rim back on for aesthetic purposes .
It sounds better to my ear than they yamaha subkicks (after i roll off everything above ~150hz), at less than 1/10th the price. Just make sure you have a pad. It's hot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search