The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Taperecorder, 8-track, what to get? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Taperecorder, 8-track, what to get?

I don't know if the low-end forum is the right place for this, certainly some of the items I wonder about are.

Anyway, currently I use a tascam 38 8-track tape recorder. I don't like how it sounds with dolby DBX noise reduction, so I run it without it. But, since it's built to run with the noise-reduction units, I then get too much noise. I'm gonna change the heads, and see if this helps, since the current ones are pretty well used.

But I then started to look at alternatives. I'm looking for 8-track-recorders, since it's all that I need. Obviously 24 tracks are better, but it means tape costs more and the machines cost more. Therefor, I'm looing for an 8-track, 1/2", or 1" machine.

The alternatives I came up with, using the internet are:
Otari MX5050, 1/2" 8-track.
Otari MX7800, 1" 8-track.
Otari MX70, 1" 8-track.
Revox C278, 1/2" 8-track.
Studer a800 MarkIII, 1" 8-track.

Now, the 1/2" machines seem to go at not too high prices (the revox c278, and otar mx5050). About $500 to $700. But are they any good? Is there a big difference if you go up to 1" machines, in sound quality, ammount of noise....?

What about the revox machine, is it any good. Apparently it was 11'000 Switzer Francs new ($12'000 mayby), which is quite a lot, so it can't be that bad, or is it? How does it stand up against the otari mx5050 1/2" machine? Which ones are more reliable? Would trhe revox machine sound alot better than the tascam 38 I'm currently using?

What is a decent price for a 1" machine? I talked to guy here in Stockholm, that said he would not pay more than 25'000 SEK (approx $2'700) for one in great shape.

What would be the best alternative?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Tape machines are mechanical devices so whih is best? whichever one is in the best shape that you can find a tech who can service and get parts for! Yeah not what you wanted t hear but the whole truth!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search