The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C1000s Condenser Microphones
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you scroll down and read methods...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autechre#Methods

...that's a bit of a statement regarding the C1000.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
This is funny, everybody complains about C1000, but most of folks actually HAVE one hehhehheh

The main reason for that 'metalic ring' is very unfortunate grill construction, where the grill mesh becomes very dense, and basket ring opening is way too restricted. The obvious solution is getting a new capsule holder, so the capsule is more offset. This way it is much closer to the front opening of the grill and much further from acoustically restricted area.

The easiest solution is taking the whole grill assembly off. In most of the rooms and situations the hum should not be a problem and some might find that mic actually very useful.

Best, M

CondensorMicMods
I've had three now for about 4 years and use them all the time, mainly on guitar cabinets as I've found they work better than a 57 in most cases and even a 421 in some. Even with the presence cap on. I did have them on OHD for a while but they were a bit brittle on my cymbals. I've read all the issues people have had with them and I guess I just have the best three they ever made...I'll try taking the end off though and see if they do even better. Thanks for the tip Mark.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 17th December 2010

first I want to say this was my first condenser mic, so I have had a lot of time with it. it does sound better with a fresh 9 volt then phantom power. It sounds good on snare espically if the high hat is also close to it. I like it on tube amps for jazzy or rhythm guitar. it isn't the best for acoustics it's always good for picking up extra cymbals like chinas. I've used it on chello with decent results to. A trick with this mic is to hang it upside down like you would a tube mic pointed straight down then take the grill off then I could get a useable sound for an acoustic if I had to
Old 17th December 2010
This was only the second condensor I bought many years ago (the first was a Sony ECM something). I used it on guitars and vocals. At the time, the only LDCs one could buy were Neumanns and AKGs if you had a couple thousand bucks laying around. I thought it must be good cause it's AKG. I still have it but haven't used it in 15 years. Now I have to dust it off and put it up against some of the mics in my locker to see just how bad it really was.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos24 View Post
it does sound better with a fresh 9 volt then phantom power.

It sounds better powered with the battery is what I have found also. Has anybody else experimented with the possibilities of this?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
It sounds better powered with the battery is what I have found also. Has anybody else experimented with the possibilities of this?
That may be why I was freaking out one day moving mics around. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I had to move the mic way off from the normal 'middle of cone about 3" away and slightly off axis' that I usually put it in. I attributed it to other variables, but now I'm wondering if I was pushing phantom that day instead of battery. Interesting, I'll have to check that and see. Thanks for bringing that up guys.

By difference, how so? So I know what to be listening for.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs2xs View Post
That may be why I was freaking out one day moving mics around. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I had to move the mic way off from the normal 'middle of cone about 3" away and slightly off axis' that I usually put it in. I attributed it to other variables, but now I'm wondering if I was pushing phantom that day instead of battery. Interesting, I'll have to check that and see. Thanks for bringing that up guys.

By difference, how so? So I know what to be listening for.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Not as shrill or hyped, a more even natural sound. I find the mic kinda grating, but with the battery not as much. It almost seemed to make it more listenable. pleasing. Like it's not the silver turd I usually see it as. It could be just in my head, but maybe the 48v is over pushing the capsule? But, I'm no expert on stuff like that.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not as shrill or hyped, a more even natural sound. I find the mic kinda grating, but with the battery not as much. It almost seemed to make it more listenable. pleasing. Like it's not the silver turd I usually see it as. It could be just in my head, but maybe the 48v is over pushing the capsule? But, I'm no expert on stuff like that.
Now it's all making sense. As I said, I had mine as OHD's on my kit forever. I'd see these guys saying how crappy they were and I'm thinking "Dang, mine sound fairly smooth, am I deaf?" Well, being a drummer for 35 years, I do have loss in the 15k range. But everybody that was hearing my kit in mixes wasn't commenting about the brittle the top end you normally hear about. I was running battery only, so maybe that's why. Now I'm gonna have to reroute some cables to my "non phantom inputs" for those mics.

Thanks man.

Cheers!
Mitchell
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
this is really interesting and something i never tried! hmmm...

what do you all think about using a pre with variable impedance with this mic? could setting the impedance differently make it sound better/much different? i'll have to try that with my digital mpa....
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticwhitesound View Post
this is really interesting and something i never tried! hmmm...

what do you all think about using a pre with variable impedance with this mic? could setting the impedance differently make it sound better/much different? i'll have to try that with my digital mpa....
Another good question. Let us know how it turns out. I'll also try mine with my DMP3 and see what it does since I don't have anything variable.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderShepherd View Post
any opinions on this? i found one really cheap local and wondered if it was worth it. i've heard more bad than good i'm afraid.
I am a big fan of this microphone, even though lots of people dislike it.
Old 23rd April 2011
kl5
Here for the gear

C1000s is a great mic for the money. Its ok on acoustic guitars but thats not its forte. It is however great for micing guitar amps, doing vocals and drums amongst other things.
I don't find it shrill at all as some people have stated and have more expensive and popular mics that probably don't see as much action as the C1000s. Personally I wouldn't be without it and it works great for me. I can only assume by the hate for it around here that I was lucky or something and picked up a good one cos hate is very far from being the case here. I guess it depends on your sound palette too. My musician/producer friends always tell me the stuff I record sounds like it was done in the 60's/70's. No bad thing!!!!!
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

If either of you C1000 lovers wants another one, PM me.. I haven't used mine in years and would part with it.
Old 23rd April 2011
Not a fan. Too harsh, like most akgs
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Head

The C1000 isn't too bad for miking toms. If you are into condensers on drums, you could try the C1000 on the Rack Toms. A friend of mine uses them for his radio program, too.

... but these are the only situations I would personally use them.
Old 24th April 2011
I like the C2000 and C3000 - Only used a 1000 for a few mins and swapped it out heh
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Head

the should rename this forum "hate on c1000s."

they are really not that bad. ten years ago everybody was buying em.
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
correct me if i'm wrong..but im sure i remember reading that this was the mic that was used to mic up all of clapton's guitars on his unplugged album?! i havent seen it in years..but i have the cd and love the sound of his guitars! can anyone confirm?
Old thread , I know !
I have one lying around that I thought I might find a use for here

It was definitly not used for the Unplugged
I think it was some small directional Neumans or Senheiser
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Nut

OK, this thread is f-ing ridiculous. Out of curiosity I looked for opinions on this mic.

Here's how the C1000S I bought back in 1993 sounds on my Ampeg VL-502
with
Big Muff + Whammy

Granted I EQ'd it a bit, but I like the tone alot better than a 57.

BTW - Sylvia Massey confirms that Maynard's vocals on Tool's Undertow were via the C1000!
Old 1 week ago
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Yes, the mic can be used as an effect. Like a green bullet can sound cool, all distorted and zingy.

As a room mic for instance, not so much.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

I bet you could come up with a really cool and different track recording a voice through a paper cup, on the other end of a string.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The worst mic I ever bought.IMO
Sold it quick.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
In the late 90s the AKG1000S was my only condenser mic - but things were different then - there were not dozens of decent budget condensers to choose from - I used it to record everything on a couple of albums - nobody ever commented about recording quality - they just sounded like records. yes it was a bit harsh up-top but nothing a little EQing couldn't cure, eventually it got relegated to guitar cab duties (preferred it to a 57) then I got a Heil Audio dynamic which is amazing on guitar - so I gave the 1000S away as I had no used for it anymore. It's not a great mic - it's not terrible either - but like most mics it'll do the job - you'll just have to work a bit harder to sit some things in the mix.
Old 3 days ago
Since my last reply years ago, inspired by this thread, I broke them out again to use as a stereo pair of room mics. With my new interface I had a lot more inputs and I wanted to maintain the stereo field a bit more with my room mics, instead of only using my Oktava mk319 as a mono room mic. I went a bit nuts (for me, that is, since I typically keep things pretty simple) so, in addition to all the close mics, I set the Oktava up centered about 10 feet from the kit, set the two c1000s up further out, off to the two sides of the room, and I even set up an ev 635a even FURTHER away, centered.

In the mix, I wound up muting the 635a (great mic, but with everything else going on, it just wasn't giving me anything I needed for the song), and used the Oktava centered, which always sounds good, and then I used the c1000s, lower in the mix and only in the louder sections of the song, to bring some brightness to the cymbals and the attack of the snare. It worked nicely. When I tried using them throughout the whole song it was too much. But it was very easy to mix once I found my strategy. So, yes, I think distance is key to avoid the harshness, and using it for it's strength is key, embrace the brightness of them. And a little goes a long way, so they're great tucked into a mix as auxiliary mics, IMO.

All that said, I only record my own band really, and I'm much too lazy for all this, and don't typically use this many mics on drums.
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Addict

I always thought the C1000 was excellent on acoustic guitars and guitar amps. Doesn't work for singing really at all IMO. I sold mine but I want to try every mic and can't afford to so I buy and sell a lot.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search