The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C1000s Condenser Microphones
Old 10th April 2009
i actually just got a pair of these that i got free from bhodgson0739 that i won in the free gear thread and i was planning on checking them out tomorrow...i cant wait to check them out..
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusic72 View Post
I know this is an old post but I was checking out the c1000 as an addition to my collection.
I really want to know if anyone has done an A/B comparison with the c1000 to some older more expensive AKG (c451, c460, or c490). I don't own these but was an engineer for 11 years at a studio. I like the 460 personally for acoustic.
Do the c1000 compare to these mics at all?
HangMan you said you don't like any of AKG C series. Whats that about man?
Are you talking about the above mics I mention as well?
Thanks Guys and Gals (if there are any here)
i havnt done side by side comparison but ive used the C1000 and the C451EB(i think they were EBs anyway) and can say they are completely different. i dont know how much difference there is between the old 451EB and new 451B.
Old 12th April 2009
Here for the gear

Eric Clapton Unplugged with AKG C1000s

For the sake of balance ...

You can hear the AKG C1000S on Eric Clapton's Unplugged .. all acoustics were recorded with it. Give "Layla" a listen.

A Tape Op review on recording guitar amps:
AKG C1000S Review | recording hacks

I have three 1000's, and have no complaints. I spend a little time finding the right place for the mic. I'm trying to kick the 57 habit.

This thread has inspired me to experiment more with this mic. I'm a sucker for the underdogs.

I just picked up a Langevin dual mono, a Focusrite TwinTrack, and one of the original Joe Meek "Bricks" (I was told it is one of only 30 made by hand, but don't know enough to verify this). I can also try a few things with another detested piece of equipment, the ART MPA (I did replace the tubes with Mullards yesterday to see if that helps).

If anyone interested in my attempt to defend these mics as I put them in the ring against a wide range of mics (50+, mostly under $1000), I can make samples available, -- unless I find that elusive secret weapon. We're going to be logging shootouts as we test new equipment over the next few months. Mic/preamp tests will be done with vocals, drums, acoustic guitars and amps.

Who knows, after it's all over, I may even jump on the bandwagon with the naysaying pros and banish my AKG C1000S' to ebay.
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

Funny thread.

There are better mics out there, but, I have had excellent results with this mic on a cello both bowed and using a pizzicato attack when played as the bass (violin sounds like dog****..just pushes the wrong frequency range buttons on this mic), acoustic guitars ok, usable as drum overheads, and, as one guy said before in this thread..a kick drum...and single track whacking on a huge kick drum with a mallot. the kick drum thing surprised the hell out of me...little to much bleed for good control but it worked.

Vocals..forget it, primary mic on an electric guitar..not as good as a 57 but as a secondary roomish mic it has done ok.

Folks love to hate this thing but in the mix and eq'd properly it can be fine.

I do like that you can power it in the woods with a battery. We always bring them camping so we can record our farts.
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
I do like that you can power it in the woods with a battery. We always bring them camping so we can record our farts.
Nothing quite like a fart recorded outdoors with a MDC micheh
Of course a lot has to do with the preamp.

I've been using a pair here and there for 10 years and though I know there are better options, I can usually get usable results.
Old 27th March 2010
kl5
Here for the gear

The old slate the AKG c1000s routine.
Ok I'll be fair it's not an all round general purpose mic I'll grant folks that and I don't use it that often but I do know when to reach for it and I get blindly good results with it for the things I use it for. The trouble with this mic is nobody seems to know when to use it. If my U47 is still in it's box and the AKG is out to play it must be doing something right! You need to spend more time with it to see what it is good at. Most mics are good for at least one thing but the C1000 does a few!
Old 27th March 2010
when i went to record my band's latest album i'd tried the c1000s on snare bottom and hated it (so many important factors there though, including the type of snare, the playing in the song, etc). also tried it on high hats and found that firstly, i didn't need a high hat mic and secondly that it was not the right mic for the hats in that song anyway. very brash, in a bad way to my ears. when it came time to put a high hat mic up i didn't go back to the c1000s though...

i think it was after reading this thread, though, that i tried pairing a c1000s with a sm57 on guitar amp and i got some really nice sounds out of it. really bright and articulate which was perfect for the clean tone i was going for with the song. fender jaguar through a roland jc120. wouldn't work for everything but when you want that sound i found that it really compliments the 57 perfectly.
Old 27th March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
True, not a totally useless microphone. As you said, a small amount of it for sizzle could be added to another microphone on the same source.

I would never use it on it's own for something, though. Unless I was going for a deliberately bad sound.

--

But, you would still be better off using a decent microphone for that second mic and do some heavy eq'ing on it to get the same effect, only better.
True, I also had decent results with it as a room mic, but I've also had better results from my c2000b and definitely better from my AT-4040 and my Oktava MK-319. It's usable, but at this point there's definitely better options for the price of a new c1000s...
Old 28th March 2010
Here for the gear

ukes

A friend of mine gets nice recordings of ukulele with this. It is a pain in the butt in live settings when using monitors.
Old 28th March 2010
Here for the gear

This'll sound crazy but I have a C1000s that I occasionally use to close mic guitar amps with great results. I find it to be unusable for other applications but I really like it on some guitar amps.
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Head

This post has brought a few things to my attention. Someone said that the C1000s has an inhering metal pinging/ringing sound, which I have direct experience with. Recently i recorded a thickly distorted riff on my mesa boogie dual rectifier with a Sm57, and c1000s which is something i have been using fairly often. Later on after a couple of weeks of mixing and listening to in the car i noticed this very high ring from during the distorted guitar part. I went on to use a frequency generator to match the frequency (round 310Hz) that was occuring in the riff. Now reading this post made me realize it was the c1000s, which also explains some high pitch sounds when using them as overheads years ago. Also i learned that alot of people here save their money and go big rather than settling on the cheaper product. Anyway my c1000 will now only be used sparingly, i'll probably just use some other small condenser in my collection.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

Unscrew the grille and use it sans the grille. Seriously. The metallic ringing will dissapear.

A very much improved mic thereafter.
Old 30th March 2010
I don't know anyone who likes this mic.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Im using one tonight for rock acoustic...sans grille...aimed at the 14th fret...

I dont have a big mic collection, but it works way better than an AT 4030 for this application (building an acoustic guitar bed for rock song)

TAKE THE GRILLE OFF and try it again!
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyD View Post
Wow. I'm glad I read this thread. I though maybe they were a good bang for the buck. Guess not!!! Anybody have any suggestions for something else in the same price range (See them selling at $329 for the pair).

-ScottyD
I had a friend I did some mixes for, he used to do vocals with a C1000. The sound of it was really hard to work with. I finally got him to come to my place and sing into a real mic. He immediately stopped using the C1000, bought a different mic, and is much happier.

You can get AT4041s for about $400 a pair, they are serious SDCs, but only if you like the truth. Great on just about everything.
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

THE C1000 HAS A NASTY, ANNOYING METALIC RING TO IT.

After reading all this thread I'm going get one of these C1000s mics and use it as a musical instrument. It'll probably fit in very well with my growing collection of gear that I'm using for the "wrong" purposes.

Best one yet, for me, is a behringer V Amp to process all sorts of signals to produce very color contrasting dimensions to big soundscape projects.

If this C1000S has such a pronounced sonic quirk as to cause all this derision, I'm inclined to think that if I can get one for peanuts and play it with a stick or some other percussive device I might well get a signal out of it that will scramble up into a wonderful sonic spook through the dreaded V-BERINGER!!! LOLOL!heh

Last edited by McLies; 20th May 2010 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Nut

I've got a pair that came with some equally awful drum mic set.

On the plus, they are very good at bashing badminton nets into the grass with.
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McInturff View Post
TAKE THE GRILLE OFF and try it again!
Hmmm, this isn't a bad idea. Not only could it give me another useable mic, but I get to hurt the C1000, and that is appealing.

I hate this mic, it's probably the only mic that I've never found an application that I couldn't do better with something else.
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

I dug out the much maligned c1000s again just to see if time (and experience) could make me change my mind about this mic.

Again, just like I remembered, it sounded thin and shrill to me. A/Bing it with other mics confirmed that it was an inherent property of this mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McInturff View Post
Hey guys,

Unscrew the grille and use it sans the grille. Seriously. The metallic ringing will dissapear.

A very much improved mic thereafter.
I'll have to try this. Thanks.
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Removing the grille will make especially small condenser mics susceptible to EM waves which surround us everywhere but deep deserts. the C1000s is a mid sized condenser (3/4" capsule) so it might just work. My Rode NT3 (also a 3/4" capsule) works quite well without the grille but I haven't tried it in a live situation like that, where there's a crowd with cell phones and lots of amplifiers around.

The AKG C1000s really does have a weird resonant sound to it, probably caused by the headbasket. I compared it to my Rode NT3 years back and the NT3 beat it every time. I can imagine this resonant sound can be just the ticket to get an awesome sound out of some guitars and Ukuleles, especially in live situations where mic placement is harder because of feedback.
Old 22nd May 2010
Gear Head

I got one of these cheap today and tried it out. There is certainly a nasty high honk at around 4K7. I took the whole top half of the body and cage off it and tried it again. The honk was still there. It must just be a wank capsule.

I was using my cheap mixer preamp for the test. After a couple of hit and miss EQ compensation attempts I got the right spot and subtracted about 10 to 12 dB at 4K7 ish. My software analyser showed a nearly level area around that previous peak. On listening to it's recorded output it does sound honk free now but it still sounds thin.

I was hoping it would be OK for hand held use but it's even more rumbly than when i hold either of my 2 large capsule mics in my hand. I don't know what the folks at AKG were thinking when they released this model.

I noticed that a few of the people on this thread who use and like this mic have mentioned how it helps them to get acustic instruments to work in a buisy mix. As I'm not very experienced yet at buisy mixes of acustic stuff, I'll just wait and see if it turns out that they are right. After all, you can get more thin people into a small car than fat people.
Old 22nd May 2010
Gear Nut

They have their purpose, but I find them to have pretty shrill highs, especially for OHs.
Old 22nd May 2010
Gear Addict

i remember readin an article a few months back in MIX Magazine where Sylvia Massy talked about how difficult it was to find the right Mic to use on Maynard James Keenan from Tool during the recording of "UnderTow" because of the contortionist like positions he makes while singing (i guess he doesnt just do it live, but in the studio as well)

She ended up using a C1000 on the lead vocal on the majority of his vocals. She also used a U67 on a few of the more quieter/intimate passages.. but mostly its the C1000 wrapped up in studio foam.

really interesting article.. lemme see if i can find it..

boom boom:

Sylvia Massy Gear Stories Column | Sylvia Massy Writes About Recording Tool

Last edited by BFrederick; 22nd May 2010 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: sp correction
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

I recently had some success with the C1000

a pair on acoustic bass (just an acoustic bass guitar), neck and bridge, and ran the pickup to a Fender blues junior mic'd with a beyer M88

plenty of reverb of the c1000s and was able to work a beautiful top end into the bass. sparkly as buggery, but tamed
Old 23rd May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFrederick View Post
i remember readin an article a few months back in MIX Magazine where Sylvia Massy talked about how difficult it was to find the right Mic to use on Maynard James Keenan from Tool during the recording of "UnderTow" because of the contortionist like positions he makes while singing (i guess he doesnt just do it live, but in the studio as well)

She ended up using a C1000 on the lead vocal on the majority of his vocals. She also used a U67 on a few of the more quieter/intimate passages.. but mostly its the C1000 wrapped up in studio foam.

Sylvia Massy Gear Stories Column | Sylvia Massy Writes About Recording Tool
Wow! Great article and crazy surprise! And she even says, "I've heard how well a pair of these C 1000s do as overhead mics on drums, especially when the drummer is hi-hat- and cymbal-happy, because they are a little bit darker than other condensers."
Old 23rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Next time you're doing a gig with a percussionist replace the SM57's the sound guy has put on the congas by default with C1000s. Not too bad if you have a pair and are looking for a use for them, but there are other mics I'd buy first if starting a locker.
Old 23rd May 2010
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
I actually hated them way before I ever even found Gearslutz. I think I had sold mine before Gearslutz was even born.
Same here. I buddy of mine bought a pair way back in like, 86' and was all excited about them. Even then, w/o much to compare them to even, we thought they sucked. NO detail, all plastic sounds.
Old 28th June 2010
Gear Head

I found the perfect use for a C1000 - I sampled chicken grease popping for an electroacoustic track I made.
Old 1st December 2010
Gear Addict

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed that the c1000 sounds "better" when the battery is used and not powered by phantom power?

Is that possible?
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I just can't help jumping in here.....to the thread that wouldn't die....

To re-iterate -

THE C1000 HAS A NASTY, ANNOYING METALIC RING TO IT.
This is funny, everybody complains about C1000, but most of folks actually HAVE one hehhehheh

The main reason for that 'metalic ring' is very unfortunate grill construction, where the grill mesh becomes very dense, and basket ring opening is way too restricted. The obvious solution is getting a new capsule holder, so the capsule is more offset. This way it is much closer to the front opening of the grill and much further from acoustically restricted area.

The easiest solution is taking the whole grill assembly off. In most of the rooms and situations the hum should not be a problem and some might find that mic actually very useful.

Best, M

CondensorMicMods

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search