The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C1000s Condenser Microphones
Old 21st October 2007
correct me if i'm wrong..but im sure i remember reading that this was the mic that was used to mic up all of clapton's guitars on his unplugged album?! i havent seen it in years..but i have the cd and love the sound of his guitars! can anyone confirm?
Old 22nd October 2007
Here for the gear

My first mic was a 57. These were my next 2. Worked as overheads for a while, until I got better mic pres and converters. I wouldn't use them as overheads anymore, but they do work for me on acoustic guitar.
Old 22nd October 2007
Gear Nut

yep, a mic to hate on

A buddy of mine who runs a local studio had a pair of these for live performance use. We tried them in the studio, on various sources, and they were just terrible. Really wretched pieces of crap. They're hated on because for the money, AKG could have made a decent mic. These are the people who brought us the AKG451 and 414 - then they bring us this god-awful oversized silver tampon!

For whatever purpose you are thinking of, an AKG451, SM81, or Josephson C42 will put that C1000 to shame very quickly. Even a Rode NT5 or an Oktava will get you more mileage.

-Jaguar
Old 26th October 2007
Here for the gear

i wont go near one with a barge pole after reading all these coments
Old 26th October 2007
Here for the gear

hi-hat.
Old 26th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Perfect! As the hi-hat fadar is usually left down anyway. heh

So it's not just me then!
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
Maybe the guitars sounded too good with just the 57 alone.
Wow...the bias against this mic is amazing. Someone produces a solid example where it was used by some pretty heavy artists to get a great sound...and it still gets skewered. Its funny...I know several people who actually own this mic and they all love it...but all the people who hate it don't own it. Are all these opinions based on experience? Or does everyone just believe the word around the campfire from other "gurus"? Just like its fashionable to heap unimaginable praise on the SM7.B..it is fashionable to bash this mic.
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
Wow...the bias against this mic is amazing. Its funny...I know several people who actually own this mic and they all love it...but all the people who hate it don't own it. Are all these opinions based on experience? Or does everyone just believe the word around the campfire from other "gurus"?
I owned a C1000, and a C3000 as well. I found the C3000 to be of very limited usefulness and I didn't like the peaky top end of the C1000. I know of a few places where I might have used them, but in all honesty, it wasn't enough to justify keeping either mic; at least, for me.

It's not just a bias against that particular mic; I also don't like the MXL2001, or the Rode NT-1 - for the same reasons.
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco_rocks View Post
Actually, I dont' even own these mics (or any other AKG product). I am speaking in more general terms. I've ben using ksm44's as overheads anyways. I just get tired of people slamming things based on what others say (not that it's not usually right).

I need to edit in that I have used these. And I thought they did a good job of sitting an accoustic in a rock mix. It did alright on some alt county stuff as overheads.
I couldn't agree more...isn't it funny that most of these bashers have "given them away" or no longer own them. One guy gave them away...and then the guy he gave them to, gave them away. Now I may be dumb...but I am not stupid. Anyone that would give away gear that they paid $300-400 for ... and then try to call me stupid for considering this microphone...well, finsh the sentence yourself. I would just say...don't believe all the hype. Let your ears decide...
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
I owned a C1000, and a C3000 as well. I found the C3000 to be of very limited usefulness and I didn't like the peaky top end of the C1000. I know of a few places where I might have used them, but in all honesty, it wasn't enough to justify keeping either mic; at least, for me.

It's not just a bias against that particular mic; I also don't like the MXL2001, or the Rode NT-1 - for the same reasons.

I can see that the mic didn't meet your needs. I respect that...but you don't seem to be saying that it is the worst mic every produced (as many have indicated)....in your opinion, was this microphone THAT bad?
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow...the bias against this mic is amazing. Someone produces a solid example where it was used by some pretty heavy artists to get a great sound...and it still gets skewered. Its funny...I know several people who actually own this mic and they all love it...but all the people who hate it don't own it. Are all these opinions based on experience? Or does everyone just believe the word around the campfire from other "gurus"? Just like its fashionable to heap unimaginable praise on the SM7.B..it is fashionable to bash this mic.
FWIW I used to own a couple C1000's. I didn't have them for very long. I don't think they're the worst mic ever created, but it's just that they were almost always bested by something else in the mic closet, even when those mics were something pedestrian like a 57, 421, mc012, sm81, etc... I always found the C1000 to be nasal and a bit shrill ... I may have never discovered the best source for them... but I didn't have the patience to find out. (also love the SM7b ...sorry!)
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can see that the mic didn't meet your needs. I respect that...but you don't seem to be saying that it is the worst mic every produced (as many have indicated)....in your opinion, was this microphone THAT bad?
It was difficult for me to tame the sharp peaks that the C1000 created. Is it that bad? Maybe not too bad if you're a Chinese mic importer, but for AKG to put something like that out is kinda a crime. It could have been made much smoother without spending one single dime. That they chose to release it sounding like that makes me think less of them.

At the same time, I hafta admit that it's probably their all-time best seller. As you say, there ARE a lotta people out there that like them.
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
FWIW I used to own a couple C1000's. I didn't have them for very long. I don't think they're the worst mic ever created, but it's just that they were almost always bested by something else in the mic closet, even when those mics were something pedestrian like a 57, 421, mc012, sm81, etc... I always found the C1000 to be nasal and a bit shrill ... I may have never discovered the best source for them... but I didn't have the patience to find out. (also love the SM7b ...sorry!)
Thanks for the feedback...but those "pedestrian mics" that you mention are all twice the price of the C1000 (sans the 57). Of course you love the SM7B...it would be sacrilege to hate it around here...just like it is sacrilege to like the C1000. The angry mob has spoken...
Old 28th March 2008
Gear Nut

Smile

For all you haters:

I happen to have one and I use it quite frequently with live setups eg for percussion OH or such. It's not a bad mic for dialog or location recording either. That battery powered phantom has saved my ass in many tricky situations and it's a great companion with a camcorder too.

I won't sell it or give it away
Old 28th March 2008
Here for the gear

These were the first condensors I ever bought, so I really didn't know what to expect. After using it on several different sources, the only thing I like it on is guitar cabs. I bet they wouldn't be hated so much if they were like 80 or 90 bucks a piece new, but 200 a piece or 300 a pair is probably the reason the hate level is so high.
Old 28th March 2008
Gear Nut

C3000b has been useful for me for recording high gain guitar amplifiers and very very deep baritone vocals (when the vocals needed to be a little thinner)
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbruun View Post
For all you haters:
Lemme explain it another way:

Suppose I bought a hammer with a head that measures 1/4" across the face. Now I imagine it might be good for hammering small brads or finishing nails. But also suppose I'm a general housing contractor that does basically framing houses. Does that make my purchase a "bad hammer"? No, it just makes my purchase a "limited use" item. If I've only used it once in one year, it might still be worth it if no other hammer could have done the job as well.

If I only use it once in several years, I'd think about selling it.

That's my situation with the C3000 and C1000. They turned out to be very "limited use" purchases for me. I had better uses for the money.
Old 28th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback...but those "pedestrian mics" that you mention are all twice the price of the C1000 (sans the 57). Of course you love the SM7B...it would be sacrilege to hate it around here...just like it is sacrilege to like the C1000. The angry mob has spoken...
421, SM81 and Mc012 are all within a $100 of the C1000 give or take which is why I used them as a comparison. I think that's fair.

I have no reason to dislike the C1000 b/c everyone else does nor like the Sm7 b/c everyone else does. I've used both enough to form an educated opinion and my preference just happens to fall into the majority opinion in both of these cases. There are plenty of times that it doesn't.

Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
About 15 years ago I spent a few years working in the pro audio department at a few different music stores. We sold plenty of them. At some point they were a give away item with package deals, pointing out that they had plenty of mark up, and profit. It was always beginners that bought them.
the c1000s was the first mic i bought.
together with a tascam porta studio.
that was about 15 years ago ...
i used it for everything from haevy guitare to vocals.
i still got it: it's grey, ugly and collects dust.
but it's the first one so i will keep it till the end.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Cool...

Quote:
421, SM81 and Mc012 are all within a $100 of the C1000 give or take which is why I used them as a comparison. I think that's fair.

I have no reason to dislike the C1000 b/c everyone else does nor like the Sm7 b/c everyone else does. I've used both enough to form an educated opinion and my preference just happens to fall into the majority opinion in both of these cases. There are plenty of times that it doesn't.

This is "Low End Theory". I think you are being a bit generous there to prove your higher end point. I can buy a pair of C1000s for cheaper ($299) than I can buy one Senn 421 (both new)...so I don't think that is a fair comparison. I mean, I am outifitting my entire mic locker for less than what some spend on ONE mic. If you don't think the mic performs well for your applications...that is cool. I am just trying to cut through the unmerciless bashing...cuz there is a lot of over the top venom that really isn't very respectful to the people that own them. Its one thing to say...I owned them and they didnt fit my needs. Its another to say "I would rather rape my dog" than buy one...and there are a lot of comments flying around like that. This mic does a good job for drum overheads and acoustic guitar...perhaps not for the "Abbey Road" gurus...but certainly for my humble project studio (but then again...others have mentioned that it was used on some high end projects that yielded very good results).

Like Page uses many guitars...including a decidedly low end Danelectro...we have many tools at our disposal. I guarantee that if Jimmy Page never used a Danelectro, noone would buy one...noone would think they are cool....noone would care. They would be an Ibanez...a Dean....just another entry level, inexpensive guitar to the "Abbey Road gurus" (see Eddie Van Halen and Kramer) ....so don't underestimate the power of endorsement. All of the gurus endorse the SM7B...so all of a sudden...everyone loves it. EVERYONE. The gurus say "Great River"...EVERYONE LOVES GREAT RIVER. If you get on the Gurus bad side...you are dead. Such is the life of the C1000...

I respect everyone's opinions...I am not sure that they are totally objective. This mic is not THAT BAD...certainly not for a startup project studio application.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Fair Enough

Quote:
Whatever. AKG has and still does make some good microphones. The C1000 isn't one of them.

About 15 years ago I spent a few years working in the pro audio department at a few different music stores. We sold plenty of them. At some point they were a give away item with package deals, pointing out that they had plenty of mark up, and profit. It was always beginners that bought them.

"Hey, these sound great, nice and bright like on records."
"It was always beginners who bought them..." Last time I checked, this is low end theory. Not "Abbey Road Gurus get together to rip on beginners who know nothing". Someone asked a questtion and he didn't just get a few recommendations...he got his backside reamed and now (like most C1000 owners) is made to feel stupid.

As far as your comment about the giveaways...you get a free iPOD with everything these days. I have seen free Audix I5s with the Audix drum package...I have seen free HP Printers with a laptop...free Zildjians with a drum kit....so please dont try to make the leap and say that just because it is part of a package that it sucks. Marketing is just that...marketing.
Old 29th March 2008
I use mine for a talkback mic... really nice character for that application... and it was the second mic I bought... geez, I am a total textbook case, here.

I saw this very-hip-buncha-young-guys opening band, Mother Red, who had to squeeze themselves (drumkit, amps, everythang) onto the narrow lip of the stage so as not to disturb that main act and their set-up, and the cruelest insult was that their kit was miked (or mic'd) with a grand total of one AKG C-1000 dangling overhead.

I looked around at the crew for the main act, kind of motioned to the lone overhead. We were caught between a smirk and an expression that something smelled bad-- you know, that kind of halfway funny/halfway sick feeling?
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Exactly!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I use mine for a talkback mic... really nice character for that application... and it was the second mic I bought... geez, I am a total textbook case, here.

I saw this very-hip-buncha-young-guys opening band, Mother Red, who had to squeeze themselves (drumkit, amps, everythang) onto the narrow lip of the stage so as not to disturb that main act and their set-up, and the cruelest insult was that their kit was miked (or mic'd) with a grand total of one AKG C-1000 dangling overhead.

I looked around at the crew for the main act, kind of motioned to the lone overhead. We were caught between a smirk and an expression that something smelled bad-- you know, that kind of halfway funny/halfway sick feeling?

Everyone starts somewhere...I mean...it seems like everyone is recounting "I bought a pair when I got started"...well YOU STARTED THERE CUZ YOU HAD TO BUY EVERYTHING. Would I love to have a pair of U87s or some Pelusos? Sure....but that is completely unrealistic. This reminds me of the wine aficianados who think you have to drink big name wines to enjoy it. I have seen blind tastings where a cheap "Chateau Le Dog Prison Rape" beat the finest Bordeauxs. I am not saying a C1000 is going to beat a U87 in a shootout...but I bet you would be surprised at the recordings where they have been used and yielded good results.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you don't think the mic performs well for your applications...that is cool. I am just trying to cut through the unmerciless bashing...cuz there is a lot of over the top venom that really isn't very respectful to the people that own them.
Why do you care if everyone hates this mic and your getting good results with it? If anything that makes you a more competent engineer.

This thread is very polarized and the C1000 is certainly getting the black sheep treatment. As is gearslutz. Best to observe these waves of fashion from the shore than in the boat.

FWIW not in love with Great River. It's a good pre, but there are many pres I'd choose before it for the work that I do.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do you care if everyone hates this mic and your getting good results with it? If anything that makes you a more competent engineer.

This thread is very polarized and the C1000 is certainly getting the black sheep treatment. As is gearslutz. Best to observe these waves of fashion from the shore than in the boat.

FWIW not in love with Great River. It's a good pre, but there are many pres I'd choose before it for the work that I do.
The beauty of GearSlutz is that you can get a pro to answer your questions....but why should ANYTHING invoke hate to the point of saying ridiculous things that insult people? This firestorm was created from the over the top bias and venom...not from pros discussing the merits of gear. "Beginners" look to people like you for help... Sure...the world would be a beautiful place if everyone could afford Neves and Neumanns. We can't...

This is a low end forum...where a C1000s is a viable option. Someone should not expect to have their purchase compared to raping a dog....if you can't understand why someone might be a little concerned over the objectivity of a comment like that (and it wasnt the only one)...then I will just say....have a great day and sorry to have bothered you.
Old 29th March 2008
Lives for gear

I am of the opinion that, just as there is a special "someone" out there for everyone (and some of us are lucky enough to have found that person)... I believe that EVERY mic (including the much maligned C1000S) will sound good and deliver useful results, on at least SOME source out there. I personally have gotten quite usable tracks using a pair of C1000s as drum OHs, and have even found them not too bad on some guitar cabs, on some occasions.

To categorically say the "C1000S sucks goat dung" is narrow-minded and unimaginative. Is it the "Swiss Army Mic" that AKG's marketing folks would have us believe.... um, I think not (but then again what mic IS). Is it a wise investment of one's hard-earned cash... that's debatable, and depends on what your expectations are... and what you are trying to accomplish with your audio efforts.

If "she/he/it" is not your soul mate...no need to slag and hate... just move on, and continue your quest for sonic nirvana (or love and happiness)

Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Yea.....I agree. Since everyone on gearslutz hates them they must be crap and completely unusable.

I use them for snare bottoms, various ethnic instruments, ambient mics, sometimes guitar overhead and sometimes drum overheads. Personally they seem to be another mic in my locker that sometimes gets used. As a matter of fact they are used more than my u87 if the truth must be known. I got them in a trade for some duplication work I did and Im pretty glad I got them. We do quiet a bit of indie work and they work fine for us. Yea, the sm81's and the c451's are there also but sometimes this is the one I like to use.

We also use them for live sound as well. I guess it all depends on what you need, can afford and who ya listen to. If possible try one out before you buy it.

But I do agree they suck Compaired to my TLM103 which everyone hates here also.....LOL
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The beauty of GearSlutz is that you can get a pro to answer your questions....but why should ANYTHING invoke hate to the point of saying ridiculous things that insult people? This firestorm was created from the over the top bias and venom...not from pros discussing the merits of gear. "Beginners" look to people like you for help... Sure...the world would be a beautiful place if everyone could afford Neves and Neumanns. We can't...

This is a low end forum...where a C1000s is a viable option. Someone should not expect to have their purchase compared to raping a dog....if you can't understand why someone might be a little concerned over the objectivity of a comment like that (and it wasnt the only one)...then I will just say....have a great day and sorry to have bothered you.
Fair enough.

I guess my point was that there's no reason to take the outlandishness so seriously. This is all just bullsh!ting. A good engineer with C1000's will find a way to produce good results. All the rest of this is just amusing chatter. I mean, do you think that guy would really consider raping his dog? lol... I don't think it would matter really if everyone owned Neve's and Neumanns. I think difference in output would be negligible. You'll always find the art in the head and the hands of the artist.

FWIW - I worked for years with just a Soundblaster card, a Behringer 4 channel mixer and an AKG3000b. I used that rig to record my first album. All that gear is pretty much loathed here... but I was probably the most excited about recording and making music with just those 3 pieces than I have been since. Personally I try my best to keep that in mind when poking around the forum.

Cheers.
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
I am of the opinion that, just as there is a special "someone" out there for everyone (and some of us are lucky enough to have found that person)... I believe that EVERY mic (including the much maligned C1000S) will sound good and deliver useful results, on at least SOME source out there.
Intersting analogy. And in the same vein...
Though many see her as a useless slug, and I can hardly disagree, I have found a couple tasks at which she is well suited and therefor have kept her around for some 25+ years. And should I occasionally drop her on her head, I know she won't break, she'll pop right back up and once again do what I ask. Maybe not much to look at, maybe somewhat shrill to listen to, but she's mine darnit (and yes - my first as well).

Oh yeah, I also have a pair of C1000's heh
Old 30th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas View Post
Intersting analogy. And in the same vein...
Though many see her as a useless slug, and I can hardly disagree, I have found a couple tasks at which she is well suited and therefor have kept her around for some 25+ years. And should I occasionally drop her on her head, I know she won't break, she'll pop right back up and once again do what I ask. Maybe not much to look at, maybe somewhat shrill to listen to, but she's mine darnit (and yes - my first as well).

Oh yeah, I also have a pair of C1000's heh
LOL!!!

Nicely done jchas thumbsupthumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search