The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG C1000s Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'd never buy one, but I've used a C1000 on hi-hat and it didn't ruin the mix. I have to admit, though, that most of the hi-hat sound was coming from the overheads. I only used the C1000 for a bit more detail to the sound.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Is this possibly the most hated mic of all time?
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

I know I'm new here... but isn't this more of a personal preference. I know frequency responce and quality of components... but if someone can get a good sound out of a mic then it's a good mic for them. Don't just say it's a crappy mic. I;m always curious in threads like this of how many people have had the object i question... not just used it once but actually has owned it. My guess is not many.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco_rocks View Post
I know I'm new here... but isn't this more of a personal preference. I know frequency responce and quality of components... but if someone can get a good sound out of a mic then it's a good mic for them. Don't just say it's a crappy mic. I;m always curious in threads like this of how many people have had the object i question... not just used it once but actually has owned it. My guess is not many.
Working for AKG are you?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

It's funny, because I saw the title of this thread and thought "that's about the only mic I can think of that I really hate".

I guess I'm not the only one.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I really like the way it sits a small body acoustic in a rock mix and
I've squashed em' through Distressors, getting very cool results as
a drum room mic.

Quote:
Wasn't there a Black Crowes album where the guitars were cut w/ c1000/57 combo? Amorica..?? Did I imagine this..??
Cover story of GP Magazine Oct. 98

Guitars on "By Your Side" were cut with a 57 and a C1000 on the speaker.
Kevin Shirley produced ... WTF does he know anyway ? ? ?
He should have done his homework,
to bad he didn't catch this thread before he ****ed up !

Listen to the intro to "Go Faster", that guitar sounds bigger, fatter and wider
than my aunt marie's ass.

To every sheep moaning about how a C1000 sucks,
please send me your used ones ... Grassy Ass
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valver View Post
Cover story of GP Magazine Oct. 98

Listen to the intro to "Go Faster", that guitar sounds bigger, fatter and wider
than my aunt marie's ass.
Thank you. I thought that was out there somewhere.

Have at it slutz. Lets hear the...
But, but... That's Kevin Shirley... & Black Crowes... A great engineer can "MacGyver" a sound from a tin can... Great guitar tone to begin with...

I'm not saying it's in my back pocket as a "go to", but I've used it, successfully, and it might just happen again.. heh
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

c1000? no way, everyone on gearslutz said it sucks... although i used it on a guitar cab once and thought it was awesome. it might work. every source is different. LISTEN and see what you need. dont take some handjobs word for it.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valver View Post

Maybe the guitars sounded too good with just the 57 alone.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll be happy to dispose of anyone's C1000 that they absolutely hate, just PM me for a shipping address.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
I'll be happy to dispose of anyone's C1000 that they absolutely hate, just PM me for a shipping address.
Meee to!

Ok. I have recorded my Taylor and Martin with both a Neumann KM184, a Peluso P12, AKG C12vr and the much hated C1000.

Honest truth, the tracks on my last disc with the C1000 on them don't suck at all. I also use it for hi-hat and ride if i think I'm gonna need more of that in the mix (and I do with the drummer I work with usually).

I preferred the P12 and the Neumann on these instruments, but the c1000 wasn't like using the tape recorder you borrow from the library either.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Heres a kicker for some:

out of the hundreds of mic placement testings on acoustic guitars I have done in the last 5 years or so, the absolute WORST mic I have ever heard on ANY of the 10 or so acoustics I have mic'ed for tests was the Peluso 22-251, by far.....(shocking????)

It sounds worse than a C-1 on strings, but with the same useless, glassy, icey-harsh- north -pole -frigidness.

Was pretty good on some vocals though. As is a C-1 on certain people, but
This mic doubled on nothing!

Listening to the C-1000 on a few archived things, its not bad at all.

Of course, YMMV. Love that disclaimer!!

If anyone has one in mint condition (one only, have enough pairs), PM me.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I own one and sometimes use it and am satisfied. But I would never admit that on Gearslutz for fear of being flamed and not fitting in.

oops! What did I just do
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Not that it's gonna change the opinions of most of you, but if Thundershepard is still debating the subject - here's a link to a song I just finished a couple months ago. I picked up a $90 classical guitar and my guitar player sat down and wrote a song around it. It was done with a pair of C1000's as is most of the acoustic guitar tracking I do. Listen and decide for yourself. The song is "Save The World"
and no it's not about global warming...
No acoustic guitar in "The American Idol Song" but feel free to listen to it too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=714953
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19 View Post
I own one and sometimes use it and am satisfied. But I would never admit that on Gearslutz for fear of being flamed and not fitting in.
oops! What did I just do
That's O.K. Your in Lowend - nobody else will see it...
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well your guess is probably wrong. I for personally used 2 for quite some time and was always left underwhelmed. I moved on to some ksm's and was much happier. Not only are you getting defensive over a microphone but you're making assumptions about board members all in your very first post.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

this is quite the heated thread. i was just wondering if all the bad press was true. and from this i'm gonna lean on "yes it is"

i was just seeing if it was cheap, would it be worth it... but i don't think its near cheap enough and i'll just save my money towards something way better.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

id rather use a 57.
no seroiusly. i love that mic
best cheapy there is
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderShepherd View Post
this is quite the heated thread. .
This is nothing. You want heated, ask if the Toft ATB would be a good mixer for you...

Quote:
i was just wondering if all the bad press was true. and from this i'm gonna lean on "yes it is".
Two things to think about here
1) "Opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one and only mine don't stink". Personal opinions are great. They can give you a generalized idea of what to expect. The problem is, if based solely on others opinions, you may lose out on something that would work great for you. The only way to know for sure is to try it. If you can try it with the option to buy - do it. If not, you mention that it's going cheaply. If it's under say $90 and in good shape, you can buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, turn around and sell it on ebay. They regularly go for $110-120 there.
2) A quick tally of the posters on this thread (the posters, not the number of posts) show 12 against (very against), 12 for (to varying degrees), and 6 in the "i've used worse" camp. That hardly proves the bad press was true. Presidents get elected on worse numbers than that...

Quote:
i was just seeing if it was cheap, would it be worth it... but i don't think its near cheap enough and i'll just save my money towards something way better.
This thread could have been a lot shorter had you mentioned at the top what you consider cheap, and just what you plan to do with the mic. If it's going to be your only mic I would say No. If you intend it to be your vocal mic I would also say No.
If you're looking at building a mic locker and having various flavors at your disposal, then it's possible the C1000, at the right price, might be a good match for you. But better than simply asking for opinions ( and lets face it, in your initial post you already knew it to have bad press) you could have asked for some audio samples to at least give a better idea of what the mic sounds like. I offered one up, and i'd bet other would too.
As for saving up for something way better, i'm afraid the same questions will come into play - what's the budget, and what do you intend to do with it. And even then you'll probably find it hard to decipher the ya's and nay's.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas View Post
If it's going to be your only mic I would say No. If you intend it to be your vocal mic I would also say No.
Agreed. Vocals don't come out awfully... kind of clear but very thin sounding.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

couldn't imagine a better mic for using on the talkback channel.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

I have one. I bought it way back when it was one of the few cheap condensers. Maybe it’s not so great by today’s standards, but I’ve used it on a lot of acoustic guitars and even some vocals. But I kinda go with what I’ve got.
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
Working for AKG are you?
Actually, I dont' even own these mics (or any other AKG product). I am speaking in more general terms. I've ben using ksm44's as overheads anyways. I just get tired of people slamming things based on what others say (not that it's not usually right).

I need to edit in that I have used these. And I thought they did a good job of sitting an accoustic in a rock mix. It did alright on some alt county stuff as overheads.

Last edited by wilco_rocks; 26th August 2007 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: background
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Well your guess is probably wrong. I for personally used 2 for quite some time and was always left underwhelmed. I moved on to some ksm's and was much happier. Not only are you getting defensive over a microphone but you're making assumptions about board members all in your very first post.
I'm not trying to disagree with anyone here. I actually use ksm's as well. I am not making assumptions of anyone here. What I said was in general terms of web boards ( I'm comming off of mostly guitar boards so it's always fenders suck because... Gibsons are great...). I could care less that people don't like a mic. I just happen to think people should have more to say than it sucks (I don't like opnion presented as fact. Sorry I'm a teacher). I just want to know why it sucks. So in short, sorry if I came off as an ass. I just like information.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

I had a pair of c1000s that I used all the time durring the dark days of my early recordings. at that point I did not have a lot of mics, I used them for overheads always... used them for guitar overdubs sometimes.

the reason I refer to that period as "the dark days" is because I couldn't figure out why everything sounded bad. I didn't have a great mixer, but i had a good one. I was using Adats... but this was like 10 years ago.

anyway... make a long story short. as soon as I got good mics, everything started getting easier. I had those C1000s until a year ago... I found them covered in dust and thought "oh god... why do I still have these?" and I sold them to a friend for cheap.

they make cymbals sound like they're made of cardboard, and guitars sound like you're playing them with sandpaper. they just have this awful texture. highs are abrasive and turbid... lows lack definition; makes toms sound like beach balls.

i don't think I can come up with anything that I like about any of the C series AKG mics.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
see my last post. I owned those peices of crap for years... they suck HARD.

I'm sure a LOT of people have owned them. what i have a hard time understanding is why people still buy them. there are plenty of better mics in the price range, both condensers and dynamics.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Sorry for dragging this up BUT.

Also like to say that they sound alright for clean electric parts. But for really heavy parts, they lack that certain punch that, say, an sm58 gets.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Well, nobody pm'd me to sell the ones they have, and hate.........

Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
Well, nobody pm'd me to sell the ones they have, and hate.........

I GAVE mine away long ago. and its funny... the guy I gave them away to, GAVE them away... because he thought they sounded awful. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to give them to you.
put an ad on craigslist. "Awful sounding microphone disposal sercvice. will come pick up any AKG c1000,c2000,c3000, or berhinger condernser microhones at NO charge to you!" theres got to be some people who are tired of using them as paperweights.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search