The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRK Rokit 5 monitors Studio Monitors
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

KRK Rokit 5 monitors

I have a pair of these in my office just for itunes and stuff.

The more I listen to them, the more I like them and I'm thinking about taking them to my studio to mix on.

What are the thoughts on these? Anybody getting great mixes with these little boxes?

Thanks!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I like 'em. Like a modern day NS-10. They have a sub you can get too. I wouldn't use them as mains, but they're a good B system.
Old 22nd August 2007
Jai guru deva om

They kind of have a fake / hyped bass thing going on around 100hZ that I don't like. Also, they're a bit "soft" sounding up top, a bit mushy might be the right wording.

That's my opinion anyhow, you'll find monitor threads are generally useless as everybody likes to hear things the way they like it. It's the most personal choice I believe you can make in the studio.

War
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

I agree with War, mushy is the right word. I use them as "B" monitors against my Adam A7s. There's no comparison, the Adams' midrange and imaging are in a different league. However, the KRKs still help me get a mix that translates.

Regards,

John
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

IMO, Buy a pair of KrK V6's and put those in the studio instead....
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I love the Rp5 in my pretty small room and they translate well to me. The bass sounds right, clear tops and good mid section. I don't hear that hyped 100 hz thing but I put some foam in the bassports and tweaked the back. They sound fine by me and I enjoy listening music on it (gives so much more details) and can make very decent mixes.

Took a far better soundcard and my KRKS sound even better now.

Good allrounder I think but it may depend on your room too.

It seems that the tascam is a pretty good choice too.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I used to have a pair of these. While I agree that they did have a "mushy" sound, I also found that they translated really well. I could never figure that out. Every time I second guessed them and did another mix on them adding more high end, I always wound up using the original mix.

I blew one out by mistake but if I ever found another one, I would definately keep and use them.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

I have a small room and I've had very good success with the krk's as a B set of monitors.
Old 23rd August 2007

For the price, they sound good.

For heavy drums and such, they wouldn't be my choice to mix on, but they are suprisingly good on things like brass bands, string ensembles, and choirs.

-tINY

Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

I could never get a decent mix that translated well with my Genelec's 1032A.. I have no room treament etc.. then I got the Rockit 5 and voila!

Never any surprises. Everything translates well on any system after that. I don't even think KRK planned this... I first got the Rockit 6 and they were very bad. So its not the series but the model that is important.

I do agree that they have that NS10 thing going on but with more pleasing highs and bass. Can explain it, hated the NS10 but love these.

I'm selling my Genelec 1032s!
Old 19th October 2008
Here for the gear

Got em'

I bought Yamaha ms50, sound horrible unless your good at your instrument, mixing and mastering.

If your songs sound good on these, you are A#1, Duke of NY.

I bought the Rokit 5 's. Lot more bass, easier listening, just for listening to some music, you can record, mix and master and not know where you are.
Old 19th October 2008
Nice set of 'B' monitors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search