The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Different colour pre to compliment DMP3 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Different colour pre to compliment DMP3

Hi. What would be a good preamp with a different colour to my M-Audio DMP3? I have a VTB1 which I'm currently in the process of modding but am looking for something else.
Two preamps that I'm interested in are the Joe Meek 3Q and ART TubePac. I will be using the pres mainly for vocals and occasional Acou/Elec Guitar and Acou/Elec Bass. I use VSTi's (eZdrummer etc.) for all my other sounds.

Which would you recommend? My budget is £100 / $220
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Rane MS1B....Its alot cleaner than the other pre's you mentioned & great on Vocals & acoustic....no tubes at all at all, which im assuming you dont need cos you already have the DMP3 & the VTB1.

The Joe Meek 3Q looks pretty cool, the comp is meant to be pretty good aswell. I havent used it, but i want one.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah the Rane Ms-1b is a good pre but I don't need one of these because I've already got a DMP3. They both have that super clean character.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Any thoughts on the SM Pro Audio TB101 and TC01? Also the Samson C-Valve?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

If you're looking to go totally opposite of the DMP3 but keep it on the cheap, consider a Bellari. A much more 'real' tube sound than the other low-end stuff (and yes, pretty noisy).
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Or if not the Bellari (which is pretty noisey but cool) you could go for the Electro Harmonix 12AY7 pre. Raved aboot over at Tapeop as a great pre for Vox or Acoooostic.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up getting a M-Audio Tampa. Got one very cheap off ebay. Will be here later this week.
I ended up going for this partly because I'm so impressed with the DMP3. This is such an excellent 2 channel pre for the money. The Tampa has apparently got a different tone to the DMP3 + a smoother compressor than the 3Q so am looking forward to trying it out when it arrives!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search