The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Technica 4047 Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Audio Technica 4047

anyone have opinions on this mic? i've heard very good things about it in various uses. i'm looking to use it for heavy bass and guitar recordings and maybe some vocals.

also, is there a difference between a 4047 and a 4047/SV?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Do a search. You will find that everybody loves these mics.

As far as electric guitar and bass recordings, I don't know that I would recommend it over a good dynamic. Dynamics tend to be better on these sources, IMO, although I have blended the 4047 with a dynamic quite successfully, or used it as a distant mic. It shines on vocals.

As far as I know, there is only such thing as a 4047sv.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

The AT4047 is a very useful mic.

and the "sv" obviously means Silver
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

compared to a 4060 how does it stand?
Old 21st August 2007

I'm also interested in how is the 4047 as a vocal mic, for both male and female voices, so thanks for this thread... and how it is compared to the 4050 (because they are the same price)? I think the 4060 is a tube mic and three times the price...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

4050 is very natural sounding. it doesn't have any part of it that is overly flattering so it can be used on just about anything.

the 4047 is not as natural sounding - it has it's on definite sonic signature. I would decribe it as a little warm or colored (in a good way). nice on vocals (in my mind better sounding on women than men), nice when you want a condenser mic on a guitar cabinet, nice all around.

4060 is a tube mic, essentially the 4050 redone with a tube.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

4050 - 4047

[QUOTE=gainstages;1449691]4050 is very natural sounding. it doesn't have any part of it that is overly flattering so it can be used on just about anything.

the 4047 is not as natural sounding - it has it's on definite sonic signature. I would decribe it as a little warm or colored (in a good way). nice on vocals (in my mind better sounding on women than men), nice when you want a condenser mic on a guitar cabinet, nice all around.

Hi,
I'm soon adding another vocal mic to my (new) "collection". I currectly use a Rode K2 and was planning on picking up a 4050. Would you suggest the 4047 over it for a general (male-female) vocal mic? You seem to know them both. What would you buy in my shoes? It goes into a Millennia STT-1, Rosetta 800, Big Ben.

All best...
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

4050 4047 doesnt shine on everything where the 4050 will work on just about anything but has less of a color vibe. i never considered the 4047 as warm though. its got color for sure.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

The 4047 is an awesome electric guitar mic! It's really dark and colored which is great because most mics under $1000 seem to be bright and lame (that's a technical term). I don't really dig it on vox unless I'm doing a dirty rock&roll type think ala The Killers. It's one of only a few low cost mics that have made my mic locker.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

out of the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
The 4047 is an awesome electric guitar mic! It's really dark and colored which is great because most mics under $1000 seem to be bright and lame (that's a technical term). I don't really dig it on vox unless I'm doing a dirty rock&roll type think ala The Killers. It's one of only a few low cost mics that have made my mic locker.
What are some of the others (and why, if you have time to answer) ??
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
What are some of the others (and why, if you have time to answer) ??
Shure SM7 because it is $ on most rock male vox
RE20 for booming kicks
Shure SM57 because it's the best mic ever made at any priceheh
AT 4041 best bottom snare mic ever
AT 4047 as cool as a fet47 on guitar cabs, but it's only $500

There might be a few more that I can't think of right this second, but those are the ones that get constant use.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

thank you for the help...

yeah, i was planning it as a compliment for a dynamic (most likely sm57). i'm looking for it to be darker sounding to help capture the heaviness of a thrashy band.

and thanks for shedding some light on "SV" as far as i could tell it meant "Special Victims"
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

The 4047 is an excellent mic. I bought a pair myself. When I first put them up (Great River pre) I thought, "wow, this is a dark mic". Not dark as in, no presence boost, as there is some there, but it's not overly exagerated and there isn't a lot of top end. I didn't even look at the response chart before I bought them, did so after I heard them and was shocked at the top end roll off. This is NOT a bad thing. These mics RULE on guitar amp (even used alone on some!), drum room mics, some vocals and some acoustic guitars. I will likely try them on toms and kick drum in the future.

If this will be your only large condenser mic, I'd look for something more general purpose (like the 4050, which is kinda like the SM57 of large condensers in that it's good on A LOT of things but not neccessarily GREAT on anything....though it can be great sometimes....just not when you're looking for color, LOL). If you already have a nice general mic or two, then the 4047 is perhaps THE BEST next addition you could make in that it's quite different, flavorful and sometimes the absolute best mic for the job. NOT to say the 4047 isn't natural, as I feel it is, in that it doesn't alter the frequency response of the source as heavily as other mics will, but it certainly has some character of it's own.

As far as large diaphragm condensers, this is perhaps the cheapest one you will see in regular use by the top engineers of the world. That's why I bought a pair without even looking at their specs. After using them, I know now why they're so highly regarded.

jt burke
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

prefer the 4047 to the 4050 but the multi-pattern of the 4050 is nice. 414 is a better option than 4050 IMO.

The 4047 has a transformer; the 4050 does not.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

The AT4047 is a cool mic and is especially a good deal if you pick one up used. I bought one off eBay that was in new condition for a little over $300. Contrary to what some people claim (although I haven't seen anyone make this argument in this particular thread), the AT4047 doesn't sound like a U47 FET. But a good mic nonetheless.

Rick
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Guru

I love my 4047. I use it on my female vocalist through a Great River ME1nv and it sound great. Great de-essing mic. ;-)
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

The 4047 is all over Avril Lavigne's new record. The "47" in 4047 is a hint if you wanna know what it's supposed to sound like.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
The 4047 is all over Avril Lavigne's new record.

OK....Now I'm selling mineheh
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

4050 is an AWESOME work horse because of its different pickup patterns, pad, and low cut. That being said...the 4047 ROCKS! Awesome on vocals and good on many other sources.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK....Now I'm selling mineheh
Lol. I haven't heard the record myself, but she always has top-notch production. I believe the Butch Walker tracks are 4047.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
I believe the Butch Walker tracks are 4047.

Thanks, Now I have to burn the damn thing!heh
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I love the 4047!
It doesn't work on all sources, but I've used it on some male vocals, some female vocals, distant mic on guitar cabs, and I will definitely try it on other sources as well. It doesn't sound good on everything though. I personally don't like it on some singers (male and female) and acoustic guitars.
It's a great mic with character. It's something about the lower mids that makes this mic sound so good.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, I read this thread, checked out Ebay, and got one for $257 used. Will be here in Aus in around 10 days!! I got 2 4033a's, I can't wait to here this one!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post
It's something about the lower mids that makes this mic sound so good.

Exactly!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Wow! Those are very interesting samples. Thanks for pointing them out. I've been to the AT site a lot and never noticed those. I surprised by how similar they are - more the same, than different. Though there are differences, especially the 60.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Is the at4040 just a wana be of its brothers and sisters

or is it a decent mic for around 300. i am not trying to do anything professional i just want good sounding home recordings. how does the 4040 compare
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

In what applications is the mic used on Avril's record, I wonder? Not that I like her or anything.

The Butch Walker record sounds pretty good judging from his website. How did they use the 4047 I wonder?

Mike
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgen View Post
Ok, I read this thread, checked out Ebay, and got one for $257 used. Will be here in Aus in around 10 days!! I got 2 4033a's, I can't wait to here this one!

thanks a lot jerk... i was bidding on that!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, Now I have to burn the damn thing!heh
That's some real funny ****! Thanks for the laugh......peace?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search