The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Technica 4047 Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear
Cool

I can see where you're coming from Michael, I actually disagree though. In real recording studios, not our little project studios that this low end theory is typically about, the 4047 has caught on well because it has a lot of interesting harmonic variances going on in the lower mids, central mids and to a lesser degree, the upper mids/lower highs.

it's overall balance is the same I'd say as a stock 319 (I've only very little experience with a stock 319 I admit) and the 179/177 or whatever which are also quite even with only a tiny bit (2db and with the 179 only in certain polar patterns) of 10kHz emphasis.

I'd put the 4047 higher than any of those for vibe, character, and musicality however (again talking about a stock 319) when pushed a little bit with the right vocalist or on a guitar cab. something about it's mids are just more interesting and musical, more character.

but I'd say the v67, 177, 179, and some other mics are the ones renown for not having that chinese HF thing (or in fact any of the chinese thing really, at least not in the obvious bad ways that the old apex condensors had it).

just presenting another possibility here.

Certainly I see 4047s used in real studios as an alternative to other nice mics. Granted I also see 179s and modded 319s used in real studios LoL, so maybe my point is entirely moot. I wasn't trying to put the 4047 in a better bracket, but it has a lot going for it than a subtle lack of HF brightness. It really does have about as much brightness as other nice AT mics, but it has a more interesting character than other mics in it's price range typically, more memorable unique. That puts it into a much smaller range of valid competition (again, I suppose a modded 319 would be there too, but it puts it into a different category from a 179 which doesn't have that kind of character at all).

cheers
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Spot on observations about the 4047's character Don! And more nuanced than my simple timbre-balance argument.

I often think Oktava could have ruled the "affordable quality" LDC mic world beginning around 1992 (as Audio Technica came to do) if they had stuck with Harris Allied as their US distributor, done some advertising, cared about quality control and not gotten mixed up with the McKay brothers (A.S.M.) as international distributors. Why? Because they had a real diamond in the rough with the 219 - one can hear greatness buried beneath layers of acoustical and electronic muck in that mic. Unfortunately the 319 did not solve all the problems of the 219 and has its own unique set of them.

Its been an issue of squandered brand equity - a lack of Western style brand management strategy in my opinion.
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Addict

I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinocelt View Post
I wasn't terribly impressed by the various sample files I heard of the stock version, on your site and others. I think you may hear the potential of the mic, more than what it's really worth unmodded.
You answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
My comment about the 319 was not only an inference about the mic's potential - despite its flaws, the stock 319 has a timbre-balance closer the 4047 than almost all similarly priced (low cost) LDC mics.
Then, in your next post, you stated:

Quote:
they had a real diamond in the rough with the 219 - one can hear greatness buried beneath layers of acoustical and electronic muck in that mic.
Which too me does mean: great potential, but one never really achieved without modding. Even the RecordingHack pages on the MK-219 and MK-319 are mostly devoted on how those mics can be modded; either page barely mentions the mic in its stock form.

The Audio Technica mics aren't diamonds in the rough: they're semi-precious stones that have been properly polished.

Quote:
Its been an issue of squandered brand equity - a lack of Western style brand management strategy in my opinion.
It's part of the problem, assuredly, though it didn't prevent the MK-012 stock to achieve great popularity.

Quote:
The price of a used 319 is over $100 now?
Today, one sold for a little more than $150. Another is currently being sold for $229, but has yet to find a taker.

Quote:
I guess the aftermarket modification activity is driving up the used prices.
Then don't be surprised if recent buyers want to sue you.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

I've been trying a batch of mics on a vocalist I'm recording :-

Gefell M930
Brauner Phantom
Peluso 2247
AT4047
AKG C414
AKG Solidtube
Shure SM7b

My favorites were the AT4047, Gefell and Brauner. Overall the 4047 is the most suited to her voice.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post

Gefell M930
Brauner Phantom
Peluso 2247
AT4047
AKG C414
AKG Solidtube
Shure SM7b

My favorites were the AT4047, Gefell and Brauner. Overall the 4047 is the most suited to her voice.
Through what pre?
Old 9th February 2011
Gear Head

I've just received my AT 4047, stepped up from AT 2035. I'm very satisfied with it, best upgrade I've done in a while! I'll do a shootout against the 2035 and a Brauner Phantom one of these days.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post

Gefell M930
Brauner Phantom
Peluso 2247
AT4047
AKG C414
AKG Solidtube
Shure SM7b

I also did a similar shootout (less extensive) with a Female singer who goes from mellow to blasting in a heartbeat. We tried my Pearlman TM-1 (with Dave's newest capsule and paper in oil capacitors), A Wunder CM7 modified by Klaus Heyne, my SM7 (original) and a 4047. The 4047 SLAYED all of the others on her voice. No contest, from loud to soft, off the mic to on the mic it sounded large and relaxed while still having air. This was through a Daking MP1 and a Daking Fet 2 compressor. I was more than happy to plunk down $500 for one of these mics to finish the record for her.

Edit: I should add that on my voice (male) the Pearlman is the clear winner. The mids of the 4047 and I don't gel.
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Through what pre?
This was through a Presonus Eureka.

I've also got a UA Solo 610, Focusrite ISA One and GAP PRE73 here. Will try it with those soon!
Old 16th November 2012
i use the 4047 directly into my m audio interface.... and for what it is i think it sounds great

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search