The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Technica 4047 Condenser Microphones
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
or is it a decent mic for around 300. i am not trying to do anything professional i just want good sounding home recordings. how does the 4040 compare
4040 is a great project studio workhorse, can't beat it for the money, except possibly the new Heils, but I'm only going on what I've read so no "real world" experience with the Heils.....good luck..
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderShepherd View Post
thanks a lot jerk... i was bidding on that!
Don't go posting about stuff you wanna buy, every man and his dog will be on it on Ebay if you do!! Sorry man!
Old 25th August 2007
Exclamation

woof!
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ok got the mic and tested it out today. Everything they say about this mic is true! Has a smooth and expensive sound. No eq necessary, just a tad of desser and the vocals were perfection. This mic is top shelf at budget price.
Old 31st August 2007
Vogon
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
The 4047 is all over Avril Lavigne's new record. The "47" in 4047 is a hint if you wanna know what it's supposed to sound like.
I have to agree with ricknroll... Though the mic may borrow from the fet47 in some design capacity, it's a very different beast IMO (taking into account the variances in fet47's).
FWIW - With regard to other AT's I recently A/B'd it on ac-guitar with the 4033, it has *much* less self noise, has a rounder top-end, is less boomy when in the same position and much more action around the ~900Hz region.
Result; you can (subjectively) get it closer-in on an acoustic. I like it on electrics too, but I found you can lose some low end weight as you get further out, compared to some other mics... Which actually makes it pretty good for OH duties.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Because the 4047 has a transformer. Great microphone, I still have one.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Not that this thread needs it, but I'll put in another for the 4047. I own a pair and they get used all the time. It's hit and miss on vocals, though it can be great with the right voice. It's pretty much always great as a front of kick mic - and I think that is this mic's ultimate destiny. It is often a great OH mic choice and is a great condenser for electric guitar amps as well. Regarding acoustic instruments, I have found it to be a bit touchy, but can be just the ticket with an instrument that plays nice with it. It works very nicely on standup bass, and is a 50/50 hit or miss with ac. guitar. I've used it effectively on banjo and violin as well.

Cool mic!!
Old 15th September 2007
The 4047 is the ultimate bottom floor tom mic! I've never heard anything better on that bottom head of the floor tom!

Kidding. The 4047 is a great mic indeed. I wish they'd do a 4067 tube.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Has anyone tried them as Room Mics? My gess is that would be nice.
I've heard they are nice in piano too.
For me, this is the best AT mic.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgen View Post
Ok got the mic and tested it out today. Everything they say about this mic is true! Has a smooth and expensive sound. No eq necessary, just a tad of desser and the vocals were perfection. This mic is top shelf at budget price.
Can a mic be 'warm' and also require a de-esser? I bought a 4047 years ago, because everybody said it was a warm mic. It's not a warm mic, it's a bright mic, just like all AT mics. Works well in a mix, but when I need a 'warm' mic, I don't reach for the 4047 - I'll use a ribbon, or a Heil PR20 dynamic, or a ADK Hamburg IIau. (Now there's a warm mic.)
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Can a mic be 'warm' and also require a de-esser? I bought a 4047 years ago, because everybody said it was a warm mic. It's not a warm mic, it's a bright mic, just like all AT mics. Works well in a mix, but when I need a 'warm' mic, I don't reach for the 4047 - I'll use a ribbon, or a Heil PR20 dynamic, or a ADK Hamburg IIau. (Now there's a warm mic.)
I wouldn't consider the 4047 "warm" (whatever that means), I would condider it dark.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
I wouldn't consider the 4047 "warm" (whatever that means), I would consider it dark.
I repeat, would a dark mic require a de-esser? (like it did in a previous post) If a dark mic requires a de-esser, what does a bright mic require - a double de-esser?

Granted, the 4047 has a high end rolloff - after a peak at around 5-6K. A peak around 5-6K is not dark. Flat around 5-6K might be considered dark.

The 4047 does have nice fatness, the result of the midrange bump, but it's still a bright mic. It's not as bright as some cheap chinese condensors, so perhaps that's where the 'warm' or 'dark' thing comes from? It's a mystery to me. I mean, if a 4047 is dark, then a ribbon mic must be pitch black.
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The 4047 does have nice fatness, the result of the midrange bump, but it's still a bright mic.
I disagree. It's one of the darker condensers in our locker. It seems like rather common sense that ribbons are generally darker than condenser mics. I don't see what one has to do with the other. In the world of condensers, the 4047 would have to be considered on the dark side. It just is!
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the world of condensers, the 4047 would have to be considered on the dark side. It just is!
That depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. - Bill Clinton

I suppose, in the world of cheap condensors, the 4047 could be considered dark. In my world, it's bright. I have a 25 year-old 414 that I would consider flat, and my 4047 is noticeable brighter. I think the problem here is symantics. Some of us don't call flat 'dark', we call it 'flat'. Dark is when the high end response is less pronounced than the rest of the frequency range, like the way it is in many ribbon mics. So if you want to call a bright mic dark, go argue with Bill Clinton.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Well all I can tell you is that the 4047 is draker than any of the AKG 414EB's we have, it is darker than the 47fet's we have, in fact it's darker than all of the Nuemann standards (if that's a fair measure). I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 21st September 2007
Vogon
Quote:
That depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. - Bill Clinton

I suppose, in the world of cheap condensors, the 4047 could be considered dark. In my world, it's bright. I have a 25 year-old 414 that I would consider flat, and my 4047 is noticeable brighter. I think the problem here is symantics. Some of us don't call flat 'dark', we call it 'flat'. Dark is when the high end response is less pronounced than the rest of the frequency range, like the way it is in many ribbon mics. So if you want to call a bright mic dark, go argue with Bill Clinton.
+1
I wouldn't describe the mic as dark either, the extreme high end is not pronounced, so you won't get the "air" that many other condensers have, but there's plenty of high-mid definition that'll help cut through a mix. To me, that's bright.
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

I think the 4047 is darker than a SDC, and brighter than a ribbon. When I use it on a guitar cab with a dynamic, it gives me lots of presence. In fact, that is what makes it cut through a mix.

Dark, Black, Warm, Cheap; every mic has some use, even if it is just for burning.
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Shure SM7 because it is $ on most rock male vox
RE20 for booming kicks
Shure SM57 because it's the best mic ever made at any priceheh
AT 4041 best bottom snare mic ever
AT 4047 as cool as a fet47 on guitar cabs, but it's only $500

There might be a few more that I can't think of right this second, but those are the ones that get constant use.
+1 SM7. Do yourself a favor and get it. You WILL always have use for this mic no matter how many other mics you get. Vox, cabs, bass, kick... there ain't much this mic can't do. And it loves to take EQ and is my go-to mic when I'm "shooting out" different preamps. I feel like I always get the true "flavor" of the preamp with this mic.

Did I mention I dig SM7's?
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
or is it a decent mic for around 300. i am not trying to do anything professional i just want good sounding home recordings. how does the 4040 compare
4040 is another mic that sounds good on a lot of sources. Awesome for both male and female vocalists. Not nearly as much color as the 4047. It is a very neutral sounding mic.

AT4040 =
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

just renewing an old thread because i picked up a 4047 from a local dealer today. i hardly ever have anything positive to say anymore, and this feels good.

i can't believe this thing is $500. FWIW, and having been tracking like crazy in the last six months with L47 and 2247LE, this thing is WAY more 47-like than the lawson was. i mean hands down. this thing has total vibe, and after pulling out a little warmth, peeling off a touch of high end, and then a sharp software slaying of 1-2dB at 6k, this really isn't far from the LE at all. the LE compressed in a beautiful way (tube, it should), but the characters (a little mid range bite at 2k and sexy low end) are there in spades.

Again, it doesn't compare fairly to a good tube mic, but it sure is delicious. Other than bass cabs, I've never known much purpose for a 4033/ksm32/etc. Boring to my ears.

It's just nice because going from one fancy u47 clone to an R84, Senn 441, and the 4047...there's just a lot more fun to be had for the same money. Many more creative options. Psyched to get cracking on record number two.

I love you Audio Technica!
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I absolutely love our AT4047! There are 24 mics in the cabinets and if you said I could only use one for the rest of my life I would pick the AT4047 as it works VERY WELL on everything and nearly all male and female vocals.
Old 31st March 2010
Here for the gear

I have used the 4033a and the 4050. Can't say I've used the 4047, but I know a lot of people really love it.

Strangely I've been using the 4033a on my vocals for almost two years now. It just works really well on my voice. They're honestly a great line of microphones.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

I like my 4047 on loud, crunchy Marshall amps. It gives it a lot of body and definition that you don't get from a 57...although I still use a 57 most of the time for guitars.
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Addict

4047 and a 57 is my go to for distorted electrics. 4047 give you some meat, and some shine, and the ol' 57 has that signature bite.
i have tried a fathead in place of the 4047, and it's pretty cool, but isn't as meaty.
i also really like it for any kind of ambient use. drums room, guitar room.
first time i heard one, it was being used as a bass ambient mic, about 12 ft from the cab-- sounded awesome! (it was a great room, too) heh
Old 1st April 2010
Gear Nut

They now make the 4047/MP for just a little more, it has the omni, figure 8, and cardiod switch :-)

Audio-Technica AT4047MP | Sweetwater.com

I like the 4047 for some vocals and also for guitars. Ive also used it as a FOK mic. Seemed to work for me there also. But I wish I had the multipattern ones. I did not buy a pair yet so will be buying a pair of the MP version along with a second 4050 :-)
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

It is true the 4047 gets a lot of well-deserved love. But put a $100 stock MK-319 up against it and tell me what you hear.
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
It is true the 4047 gets a lot of well-deserved love. But put a $100 stock MK-319 up against it and tell me what you hear.
I have a 4047 and love it but don't have an MK-319 to compare it to.

What are you suggesting? The MK is a "better" sounding mic or a good "different" sounding mic?

I use my 4047 on male and female vocals, acoustic instruments, upright bass, etc. and if it is a little "dark" I go with a CAD M179 which is clean, clear and totally neutral.
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
But put a $100 stock MK-319 up against it and tell me what you hear.
where do i get a 100$ mk-319? . also is this the mic that there were chinese versions of? to be 4047 killer it has to live up to alot .
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Let's be fair: even on eBay, a used MK-319 sells for more than $100. And I wasn't terribly impressed by the various sample files I heard of the stock version, on your site and others. I think you may hear the potential of the mic, more than what it's really worth unmodded.

Of course, a premium-modded new MK-319 is still cheaper than a new AT4047, but that's another story. What I've read about the stock MK-319s is that they aren't all the same: some are very good, some are very... not. An AT4047 is much more likely to sound like another AT4047. It's less of a lottery.
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

ah, caught in the act of being a provocateur again ; )

The 4047 has become one of the most well-loved LDC mics because it stands apart from excessively bright low-cost mics. My comment about the 319 was not only an inference about the mic's potential - despite its flaws, the stock 319 has a timbre-balance closer the 4047 than almost all similarly priced (low cost) LDC mics.

The popularity of the 4047 can also be attributed in part to long-standing advertising and editorial marketing efforts by Audio Technica to keep the brand "top of mind" while Oktava has hardly ever dropped a dime on these activities in the West. So the 219 and 319 remain "sleeper" mics that people continue to discover and be pleasantly surprised by.

The price of a used 319 is over $100 now? I guess the aftermarket modification activity is driving up the used prices.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search