The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low end buildup?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Low end buildup?

I've heard it referred to quite a few times and have heard it attributed to the use of cardioids even more. How do you figure out where it is happening and how do you combat/fix it?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous View Post
... and have heard it attributed to the use of cardioids even more. How do you figure out where it is happening and how do you combat/fix it?
The combination of close micing and the proximity effect of directional mics is a big factor. The close up' picture can be big, intimate, etc- a good thing. But it can be balanced with low filtering (or other mic choice) in some places -stays big, or upfront, but controlled low end-, and a mix of things with some distance on them on other tracks, = added depth and no low build up on those.
From about 100 or so down, ask 'Who owns the bottom? Do I want a pursusive low end, melodic, somewhere inbetween? From the bottom up to upper bass/low mid, who's 'big? How many fit/get to stay big?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
The combination of close micing and the proximity effect of directional mics is a big factor. The close up' picture can be big, intimate, etc- a good thing. But it can be balanced with low filtering (or other mic choice) in some places -stays big, or upfront, but controlled low end-, and a mix of things with some distance on them on other tracks, = added depth and no low build up on those.
From about 100 or so down, ask 'Who owns the bottom? Do I want a pursusive low end, melodic, somewhere inbetween? From the bottom up to upper bass/low mid, who's 'big? How many fit/get to stay big?
Thanks.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

I had very cloudy mixes and didn't understand why until I started mixing wtih a sub. Now my low end is TIGHT!
Junk
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk View Post
I had very cloudy mixes and didn't understand why until I started mixing wtih a sub. Now my low end is TIGHT!
Junk
Would more details keeeeeeel you?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Small boxy tracking rooms, ie, bedrooms, living rooms,etc can add to bass buildup as well. Some bass trapping in the cornors can help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search