The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Computer or MPC Condenser Microphones
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Computer or MPC

Well, as I posted before, I am in the process of rebuilding my studio. I mainly used Ableton with my laptop and a midi controller. I read quite a few articles in Remix mag and everything and all the veteran Hip Hop dudes use MPC's. I am wondering if someone can tell me if I should get an MPC this time around and use that in addition to the computer? I do miss the hands on feel of the Ensoniq EPS 16+ I used to have vs the computer but the computer is faster at tracking out sounds and vocals.

Has anyone tried the akai control unit with a VST drum machine like GURU and had the same results as an MPC would give you?

Celtic
Old 20th August 2007
I think you have hit on something here...."I do miss the hands on feel of the Ensoniq EPS 16+"

For me, it has always come down to this...

When I have my hands on the Keyboard on mouse, the creativity seems to FLY OUT THE WINDOW!!!!

When I have my hand on the MPC's transport control and trigger pads, I feel like I am A PART OF THE GROOVE. I work much MUCH faster with my MPC when getting sample placed in time, and step recording my drums.

The MPC is really the SAME as ANY software sequencer!!! However, most software sequencers have different PPQ (pulse per quarter note)

Logic = 960 PPQ
PT= 960 PPQ

MPC 2000XL= 96 PPQ

This means, less incremental steps in which to edit with the MPC.

peace
mixwell
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

No Doubt

Yea, I think you hit it perfectly. I feel the same way. I feel like I have no creativity when I sit in front of the computer. Thats why I want to go in the MPC direction just to get that creativity back.
Old 5th January 2011
Hey Mr. Mixwell,

What about sound?
My hip-hop mates tend to like the in-your-face-iness of the MPC and find themselves getting less punch out of their PTLE setups.

Is that due to the cheap Mbox setups or has the MPC that sound?

Worflow-wise, it seems clear that MPC beat slicing is a bit of a pain in these days when you can sit in front of a 32" monitor ;-)

Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I think you have hit on something here...."I do miss the hands on feel of the Ensoniq EPS 16+"

For me, it has always come down to this...

When I have my hands on the Keyboard on mouse, the creativity seems to FLY OUT THE WINDOW!!!!

When I have my hand on the MPC's transport control and trigger pads, I feel like I am A PART OF THE GROOVE. I work much MUCH faster with my MPC when getting sample placed in time, and step recording my drums.

The MPC is really the SAME as ANY software sequencer!!! However, most software sequencers have different PPQ (pulse per quarter note)

Logic = 960 PPQ
PT= 960 PPQ

MPC 2000XL= 96 PPQ

This means, less incremental steps in which to edit with the MPC.

peace
mixwell
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search