The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Trigger
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Drum Trigger

Hi guys. I was browsing around for an acoustic kick drum trigger to use on an acoustic kick drum with my Alesis DM5 module. I came across the Ddrum Red Shot Kick Trigger and the Roland RT10K. The descriptions don't make it clear whether these triggers are compatible with my Alesis. Will the Ddrum trigger work with my Alesis DM5 or does it only work with Ddrum modules? Thanks.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

the ddrum redshot will work just fine. you still need to tweek the settings inside the alesis but getting a good bass drum trigger is easier than getting a good snare. also check this site. Unofficial Roland Vdrums Website
Old 20th August 2007
One with big hooves

I haven't used the roland triggers but I have some pintech's that work just great with my old D4. DDrums are pretty solid too. The standard really.

Actually, sometimes I've used the mic to trigger the kick... tweak the Alesis paramters or if it's really whacky, I might put a gate across it before the input, maybe EQ it a lot too if there's false triggers from low end resonance.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

1. get a piezo speaker from radio shack
2. rip out the gold disc from the plastic case
3. cut a 1/4 mono cable in half
4. connect the gold disc and one of the halfs of the cord together
5. put some duct tape or something around the gold disc
6. tape the thing to a real kik pedal

I do this with my D4 works like a charm -
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

I'm in the process of putting together a DYI post on this very topic--How to make a kick drum trigger for $11 (or less) that looks and acts like a Roland KD-7. It takes less than an hour to build and will work with any drum module that accepts a 1/4" trigger input, which is pretty much everything out on the market.

The DIY post will have pics and descriptions of the build process so keep your eyes peeled !!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdio View Post
I'm in the process of putting together a DYI post on this very topic--How to make a kick drum trigger for $11 (or less) that looks and acts like a Roland KD-7. It takes less than an hour to build and will work with any drum module that accepts a 1/4" trigger input, which is pretty much everything out on the market.

The DIY post will have pics and descriptions of the build process so keep your eyes peeled !!
Great man, lookin' forward to it.
Old 21st August 2007
Here is a few links along DIY and triggering that you might find interesting.

BEAT THE SYSTEM
TRIGGER HAPPY!
One Drummer's Search For Perfect On-stage Sample Triggering
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I created some DIY electronic drum links (sticky)in the Drums forum here on gearslutz :-)
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

the roland ones are ****
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you're lazy and cheap, you can get some pre-made piezo style ones here:

https://www.tucsonwebservices.com/drumdial/

5 for $40 is a good deal, unless you're just dying to DIY.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

just glueing or taping a piezo censor to a drum head works o.k. but when you have the the downward pressure from the foam like on a ddrum trigger it works much better in tweeking the units to act like a real drum.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search