The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HOW WOULD YOU SPEND MY $1,000? Dynamic Microphones
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

HOW WOULD YOU SPEND MY $1,000?

HI. I AM TRYING TO SET UP A SMALL HOME RECORDING STUDIO TO DEVELOP AND RECORD SONGS I'VE WRITTEN. I'M A 'VALUE' GUY, SO I WANT THE BEST BANG FOR MY BUCK. THE TYPE OF MUSIC I WRITE IS FOLKY, INDIE-TYPE ROCK. LOTS OF CLEAN GUITAR, SOME SYNTH, BASS, DRUMS, & VOCALS. SO FAR, I'VE ACQUIRED THE FOLLOWING: ABLETON LIVE 5.0, EM-U 1616M SOUND CARD, YAMAHA HS-50 MONITORS, AKG PERCEPTION 200 MIC, BEYER HEAD PHONES. ALSO, I JUST BOUGHT AN AU-S610 TUBE PRE, WHICH IS BEING SHIPPED AS WE SPEAK. IF YOU WERE GOING TO SPEND ANOTHER $1,000, WHAT WOULD YOU BUY? SOME THINGS I'M CONSIDERING BUYING ARE: A YAMAHA SUBWOOFER MONITOR, OR A NEUMANN TLM-103. ANY IDEAS?

DP
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

room treatment....then some good dynamics...sm7, 57, md421 etc.

skip the sub and the tlm now....the tlm eats up your budget...you can get a bunch of solid mics for that much which will give you more of a variety
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Drugs and Hookers
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

A shift key.

Then, follow dviola's advice.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFocus View Post
Drugs and Hookers
Nothing like a good drug and hooker fueled bender.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd look at Acoustic Treatment for you andr monitoring enviroment something like the RealTraps Vocal Portable vocal booth to tighten up your vocals. I'd also consider more mics to compliment your existing AKG Perception 200. Something by Audio Technica such as the AT4050/ 4047. 4040 or an AKG 414 would be a good place to start.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Drugs and Hookers
I just logged in to add that very comment. It's amazing how avid readers of Hunter S think alike!

Gonzo forum posting.

Last edited by Scott 1/2 Normal; 20th August 2007 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 20th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
A shift key.

Then, follow dviola's advice.
Whatever man, he has CAPS LOCK. --> LIKE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would have to agree with the advice on getting some acoustic treatment done. No sense in buying anymore gear until you do really.
Adding acoustic treatment would be one of the best upgrades any home studio owner could make..
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

good gear

I have these, and love these:

RNC - real nice compressor (clean, but very good for this price) around 200$

And for mic's: Russian... OCTAVA's...

Get a octava
mk-012... it is a really nice overhead... I use it for drums, acc-guitar and even vocals... around $200

Or this is the BEST one, for vocals, guitars etc:

I have this modded one:

OktavaMod - Shop

Very good on almost anything.

-

Then get a Mandolin for around 150 or 200$

like: this one

And play some blues my man

M.

Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Lottery tickets. Maybe then you won't have to pick and choose! heh
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

2 GIK Monster Bass Traps - $250
Shure SM57 - $100
Shure Beta 58 - $160
Marshall Electronics MXL 604 - $100
AT 4033 - $400

$1,010
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Treat the space, and then buy an Audix i-5 to start!!! Then add to it.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

go to vegas and TRY to double it!
Old 21st August 2007

Without even looking, I feel certain I'm not going to be the only one to answer: buy myself a really good massage at one of those legit places, a professional manicure (just on my pickin' hand, mind you), get a couple new dress shirts and some real cotton boxers -- not the fake cotton polyester stuff from China you get at Target -- buy a $100 coffee card at my favorite java joint, and go out for a really nice meal with a friend or two.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

HOW TO SPEND MY $1,000

Thanks for the ideas. The room treatment sounds like the 1st priorority, then mic(s). Sounds good. Any good books on how to treat a room? I'm assuming you get instructions with the 'real traps' and other acoustic foam stuff, huh? Also, I like the ideas of coffee, manicures, Vegas, coke, hookers, etc. (in that order). Peace.

dp
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't forget to shop for package deals. Hookers and coke in Vegas tend to go together. And though I'm not speaking from experience, I bet there is a good change you'll be offered coffee while having that manicure.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

You guys are ridiculous. Anybody walking around with $1000 worth of coke has no need for a hooker. He can have sex with strippers for free!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

bump

Bump 4 the Drugs n Hookers!!!!...

Save 3-4,000.00 then ask the Slutz...
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Besides two chicks at the same time? Assuming you have a computer, M-Audio firewire 410, cables, some mics previously mentioned, room treatment panels, Cubase SE, mic stand, maybe a lava lamp or two.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

Smile

Thank you! I just ordered an AT 4047. Listened to some sound clips online and I actually preferred the sound of it compared to the 4060 and 4050. I sounds like it would fit my voice and style. We'll see. Next will be room treatment. Now I'm onto pre's, which I'll post separately. Thanks, again. Peace. dp
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think you're making a wise choice. Don't forget something for the ceiling over the drums and a hard floor underneath for a nice big controlled sound.

Bryan
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Drugs and Hookers
****. Someone beat me to it.

Makes sense to me. It is, after all, your money.

Jasper
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie c View Post
Bump 4 the Drugs n Hookers!!!!...

Save 3-4,000.00 then ask the Slutz...

Word Sexy Time!
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

Without even looking, I feel certain I'm not going to be the only one to answer: buy myself a really good massage at one of those legit places, a professional manicure (just on my pickin' hand, mind you), get a couple new dress shirts and some real cotton boxers -- not the fake cotton polyester stuff from China you get at Target -- buy a $100 coffee card at my favorite java joint, and go out for a really nice meal with a friend or two.
I'm not a professional producer or sound engineer by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, I agree with the above.

Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile20 View Post
2 GIK Monster Bass Traps - $250
Shure SM57 - $100
Shure Beta 58 - $160
Marshall Electronics MXL 604 - $100
AT 4033 - $400

$1,010
Don't get me wrong the Monsters ROCK heh, but if you are on a low budget then start out with 4 GIK 244s. It is more about coverage when you first start out.

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search