The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Meek 1Q or Presonus Eureka Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

Meek 1Q or Presonus Eureka

Hey guy , Im lookig for a vocal chanel.
Ive narrowed it down to a Joe Meek 1q OR a Prosonus Eureka vocal chanel.
(my price range,cant afford an avalon)

Its for vocals only.
They both have pre, comp & eq. with the comp/eq. swapable in the chain.
Dont really need desser,enhanser.

I cant A/B test them so I need help.

I know this is subjective but Im after the one thats more vocally flattering, preamp wise comp wise and eq wise.

The style of vocal is pop/ rock/r&b.

my chain is Mic(Rode K2/or AT 4033a) -TL audio dual valve mic pre-
rnc compressor-delta 1010-daw
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I might get flamed a little for this but I'd even choose the 3Q over the Eureka. I had both and did not like the Eureka at all. However if you want just clean and sterile the Eureka might be for you but if you want something that adds a little flavor go with the meek.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...... I don't know about the Meek but, I have a Eureka and I LOVE it.

Hey, what the Hell..... buy both!
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

We frequently run our SP C1 through the Eureka with good results. As Jonboy said, it is very sterile. There is a saturation knob for that tube emulation stuff that some people like, but I can't say that I hear it at all. The compressor is above average and the eq is good with excellent Q control, but the knob layout is very funky. Our Eureka failed after about 3 months but Presonus repaired it quickly, no questions asked. We also have the A/D card with SPDIF out and clock sync. which I don't use anymore (again, very sterile)...most midrange cards/interfaces have better IMHO.

Hope this helps!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I will say that both companies have excellent customer service.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Eureka
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

people around here seem to hate the Eureka, but I LOVE mine....in fact most people I've talked to that actually own and USE a Eureka have nothing but good things to say. I will add that the EQ is nothing to write home about, but it doesn't hurt to have it in an emergency for live situations or whatever.

The compressor is very usable. Also, you get an impedance switch...almost never found in the lower price range of preamps
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Isn't the compressor on the Eureka essentially a BlueMax? Do you like the compressor on fretted instruments?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

hmmm. i haven't used a bluemax before, but I seem to remember reading good things about them. I know the eureka compressor is very comparable to the FMR RNC, which has a little more respect around these parts.

and yes, i use the compressor (lightly) on acoustic guitars, mandolin, even a sitar!

no complaints. EQ with plug-ins if you're able to.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

SixQ is another good option. Has killer feature set, and it does very clean to creamy slime. The compressor is difficult to get used to, but works very well.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

I used to own the original (Fletcher Electro) Joe Meek VCTwinQcs, but after years of service, the 2nd channel went bad. That's when the PMI JoeMeek came out with the replacement, the TwinQ. I bought one. I sold it on eBay. I was excited about it, but the pre-amp SUCKS unless you like distortion on your vocal sibilance and consonant sounds (not the bad sibilance, the natural kind). This isn't surprising, as most cheap preamps do this and is often an effect of excessive IMD. The new compressor BLOWs compared to the old one. The old one, I can use a lot, even along with LA-2As and enjoy it quite a bit. The new one is nowhere close to the old one. Yes, I spent hours and days trying to get used to the new compressor design, but it just isn't there....at least not compared to the original. Also, I know Alan slammed Fletcher's CS preamp design, and though it was neutral and not full of flavor, it captured vocals accurately and without artifacts....something FEW low end preamps can do, and the slammin' compressor could make up for some of the lack in preamp coloration. Your ear training will vary, of course.

Granted, I use a lot of preamps from Great River, Brent Averill, Sytek, etc., so one may flame me for comparing the modestly priced TwinQ, but in comparing it to the Fletcher VCTwinQcs, it just doesn't cut it on any level sound wise. I would avoid them like the plague.

I've not tried the Eureka, but have heard decent things about it. I do know Presonus is a stand up company.

jt burke
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

You recording Sylvester and Daffy alot?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I love my Eureka. The impedance selection is great. And I love the compression. Do it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search