The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DIGI 002 - ADAT Suggestions for input/output expansion Digital Converters
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

DIGI 002 - ADAT Suggestions for input/output expansion

The DIGI OO2 (Rack) offers an additional 8 in/out with ADAT - anyone have any suggestions for a AD/DA converter for this purpose? No need for pre's as taking direct outs from a Soundcraft Ghost.

Regards
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

an apogee rosetta. sweeet...
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Frontier Audio's Tango 24.
Might be one of the cheapest, but of great quality as well.\

Peace.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

digimax FS

ADA8000

MAckie rack oynx thingy

any of the yamaha or other digital mixers with adat ports

focusfite octopre's

and many more
Old 20th August 2007
Lynx Aurora. No question. Because (in addition to the great covnertors it provides) when you finally upgrade to HD - as you almost certainly will - it emulates a 192 i/o and, thus, will save you money.
Old 15th December 2008
Here for the gear

Bump.

How about an inexpensive option? I was thinking of going with an actual ADAT machine, as they are cheap and were at one point top-of-the-line. What you think?
Old 15th December 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by primm View Post
Bump.

How about an inexpensive option? I was thinking of going with an actual ADAT machine, as they are cheap and were at one point top-of-the-line. What you think?
Well, if your talking about the actual ADAT recorder, you could certainly replace PT with that and record everything to it!! Kidding!!! If its the 8-track recorder, its more than likely not the device you need here, but I suppose anything is possible. My advice would of course be to save some dough, and wait until you can demo some better converters like the Lynx Aurora 8 with LT-ADAT card, as well as the Rosetta 800. Converters are going to be an investment that will be worth every penny spent.
Old 15th December 2008

alesis make a cheap one rack one (as well as actual adats)

creamware make a cheapish one (used)

RME make a mid priced one

I think behringer make an ultra cheap one

narco
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Happy with RME FireFace 800. I use its pres over the Digi ones (but have better OB pres going via line inputs into 002 already, and always start there).
Old 15th December 2008
Here for the gear

I'm not interested in the pres, so much as the output options available to me. Ideally I'd like to be able to route all 16 outs to the inputs of my console, this is the short-term goal.

I just graduated from an M-audio FW410 to a 002 the other day (using Logic Pro 8) and I was using the 8 analog outs of the 410 for sub-groups into my Soundcraft Spirit 16x8
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Check out the FireFace routing options. It is pretty crazy - software called the Matrix lets you map any input to any output, and create as many monitor mixes as you'd like...

You can see a shot from the Matrix view here:

BigBlueLounge.com -- View topic - Fireface 800 Digi 002 setup

Your milage may vary.
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Alesis AI-3 - that paired with the 002 gets you 16 ins/outs. They go for around $300.
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticmaniac View Post
The DIGI OO2 (Rack) offers an additional 8 in/out with ADAT - anyone have any suggestions for a AD/DA converter for this purpose? No need for pre's as taking direct outs from a Soundcraft Ghost.

Regards
I would have to ask, how much do you want to spend? You could start at the bottom, with a Behringer ADA 8000 (don't laugh they're pretty damn good), all the up to Apogeeland.
Old 15th December 2008
Gear Addict

Alesis with BLA mod
Old 15th December 2008
Gear Maniac

I was just at BLA last week, and I saw a ADA8000. I have one, but am too ashamed to admit it : )....

Anyway, they do a mod on them, and I am gonna get mine done after the holidays I'll let you know how it does.

I only use it as a A/D when I need the extra 8 channels.
Old 15th December 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrough View Post
Alesis with BLA mod
Isn't the AI-3 20-bit 48k only?

C
Old 16th December 2008
Here for the gear

I bought an old MOTU 2408 MKII. It runs in standalone.

It maxes out at 48k/24, but only cost me about 150 bucks on ebay. cartainly enough to get me through those rare occasions when I actually need 16 i/o.

Make sure you get at least the mkII, since the first gen one only goes up to 20-bit.

I don't think the ADAT was ever really regarded as top-of-the-line..
Old 16th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblind View Post
Isn't the AI-3 20-bit 48k only?

C
anything regarding ADAT i/0 is only gonna let u go to 48k...Ironic u speak of adat machines...I don't use adat machines, but I have 6 Da88's/38's as thatz what I was married to until ppl kept asjing did I have PT...So what I do is run the ADAT from & to the 002r i/o of my Mackie D8b..I have the Apogee Clock card in it so it actually sounds pretty good...I have to obviously have the Da's hooked to it so I can get the audio patched thru those & in or out of the 002...& the D8B has an internal patchbay which is great so it works for me...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search