The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann U87 clones: DAPRO Condenser Microphones
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Neumann U87 clones: DAPRO

i ve seen around and was wondering if anyone had them

seems that they where made as prototypes from the people at SE electronics. who actually worked for neuman (is that true?)

but they where never sold in stores.

anyone have them who can comment on quality and sound. i know theyll never sound like real u87 but was wondering about their overall sound .

if u have audio example even better
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

i got one recently and it sounds fantastic. clean, pristine, lots of headroom. looks and feels like a u87 too. if you see one, dont pass it up...for the price, what have you got to lose?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

nice. good to hear. i have a akg3000b so i was wondering if the dapro would be a step up or down... maybe sideways.. as in the same thing. as they are the same price.

but, is the poeple from SE electronics really ex neumann guys. ?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I worked at a movie theater when I was in high school. Doesn't mean I could make movies as good as Warner Brothers.

However, SE makes a good product. I really liked the Gemini, and the small cap condensors sound pretty good too.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfreq33 View Post
I worked at a movie theater when I was in high school. Doesn't mean I could make movies as good as Warner Brothers.

However, SE makes a good product. I really liked the Gemini, and the small cap condensors sound pretty good too.
oh, only if u have enough imagination

so then SE electronics is comprise of ex neuman engineers?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

SE is a chinese company, so my guess is no.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
so then SE electronics is comprise of ex neuman engineers?
Didn't that Alan dude from Studio Projects also say something about working on the C-series mics with people who use to work with or for Neumann?

Either way, would hearing that ex Neumann engineers helped to work on a SE Electronics mic make you feel more confident in buying one? Regardless of how it really sounds in comparison to authentic Neumanns?

I think it doesnt really matter at all who had a hand in working on the mic, just matters what you think in regards to the sound it provides you with.

If it really mattered as to who worked on making something, then the Portico would be selling like there was no tomorrow....
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

no, but u and everyone thought and thinks the portico is good. already with high expenctacions. regardelss of how it sounds. we know it was rupert neve the guy who designed it. making me think he knows what he is doing.

neumann engineers would now how and why the 87 sound as it sounds and would not be a far off thought of thinking they would try to do some a clone that would sound similar. and at the end get caught making them too close to the 87 that couldnt sell w/o getting sued or the oposite, they sounded like trash thus, no will buy it, lets make the gemini.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

well i checked se website and no mention of the neuman people. just chinese guy building mics in china.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

from what i know, the dapro uses the exact same materials as the u87, because of this, the unit was greylisted and never made it past pre production because of a lawsuit that would occur if in fact the unit was actually released. so only certain people from SE have the mics and are selling it.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

wow. intersting. how do u know this?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

i used the search button on gs
Old 22nd August 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
seems that they where made as prototypes from the people at SE electronics. who actually worked for neuman (is that true?)
FEILO microphones make sE's mics.. Chinois OEM for the win

I have an 87i and haven't heard a clone that sounds like it, especially once it's in a mix.ymmv.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

have u hear the DAPRO at all?

in another note;

intersting. cause its obvious that the z6000 is the felio but the about section in se
http://seelectronics.com/aboutse.html

says other stories.

specially this one

"Shunning the common practise of western manufacturers re-branding cheap Chinese microphones, Siwei designed and built his own range of microphones which are now manufactured in his state-of-the-art facility in Shanghai., the ultra-modern face of new China. sE Electronics make only their own products, which means dedication to detail in every aspect of performance and styling without compromise."

for which there this 2 mics that seemed the same

http://seelectronics.com/Z5600a_II.html
and
http://www.feilo-usa.com/tube/Z5600.jpg

so SE made their own Z5600. thus the version II? or SE is also Felio?

the gemini looks good though..
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

SE have their own shop...which is pretty big now.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
neumann engineers would now how and why the 87 sound as it sounds and would not be a far off thought of thinking they would try to do some a clone that would sound similar.
If this were true the new 87's wouldn't suck so bad.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

A decent cheap mic in the vein of the U87 is the Langevin mic (several different model numbers, but all very similar). They're no longer in production, so you'll have to find one used, but a good condenser for just a few hundred bucks.

Rick
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
nice. good to hear. i have a akg3000b so i was wondering if the dapro would be a step up or down... maybe sideways.. as in the same thing. as they are the same price.

but, is the poeple from SE electronics really ex neumann guys. ?

i was told by a close friend from China (in the biz) that designers/engineers @ SE electronics are TRAINED by ex-Neumann engineers. so DAPRO is.... ?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Nut

I was working with SE Gemini, z5600, 3300, 2200, sE1a. The 2200 and z5600 sound amazing! I think i'll get a z5600! It totally owned akg 414! Its fantastic for guitars (electric too ...becouse of the high spl) and vocals! Great... lot of paterns to change!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search