The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multi Purpose Stereo Pair Mics Condenser Microphones
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

Multi Purpose Stereo Pair Mics

Just looking around for the best stereo pair mics for multiple purposes. Guitars, drums, and theater..

thanks,
C
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Audio Technica makes a couple cool stereo mics for not too expensive $$. I think one of them is called the 825?? Not sure about that, it's been years. Also Sony makes some cool stereo mics for relatively cheap.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Head

The sE 3 Stereo pair offers extraordinary value for money if you are on a budget.

If you aren't on a budget. Fly to Copenhagen, visit the National Museum of Erotica, drink the city dry of Carlsberg, hang out with Fredrik and Mary and oh yeah pick up a matched pair of DPA 4011's duty free.
Old 19th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

What's the budget? Hate to ask but, you're going to get answers all over the board without stating this.

War
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
Audio Technica makes a couple cool stereo mics for not too expensive $$. I think one of them is called the 825?? Not sure about that, it's been years. Also Sony makes some cool stereo mics for relatively cheap.
I think he wants stereo pairs, not stereo mics.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Rode NT5s work well.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

I recently bought two AT 4047s. Fortuitously, they are matched to within .2 db.

I have been really happy with them as a stereo pair, notably for acoustic guitar and drum OH/room. They are also excellent on vocals and percussion.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I use a pair of SM81 mics a lot.

What's your price range? Sometimes I use more expensive mics.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstudio View Post
Guitars, drums, and theater..
Theater? Whaaaaa?
Old 13th July 2008
Stereo Pairs

Some stereo pairs to consider:

MXL 993 pair (approx. $170 new or cheaper on sale) - They have an interesting coloration and have worked well on recitals and orchestra concerts.

RODE NT5 pair (approx. $225 used) - Bright and in your face. Great as a pair on drum overheads and I'm sure would be decent for most of what you need.

AT-4040 pair (approx. $400 used) - Great MULTI-PURPOSE large diaphragm condensers that will do well on lots of stuff. The whole 40-series is pretty nice, so you might want to check it out.

Don't buy a JM27 pair.
Old 13th July 2008
I've tried lots of things (Oktava, MXL, Rode, Neumann KM184, AKG C451B) and I find the SM81s to be the most useful. They work really well as overhead, great on acoustic guitar, and even surprise me on electric guitar. Also have had great success on a xylophone with them. I find them to be mellow (to some maybe this is boring) and don't add a lot to the sound, but they don't exaggerate anything either.
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Oktava MK-012, best bang for buck as always, at about $600 new I believe. I use them on almost everything. About the only thing that is edging them out these days is a pair of Earthworks SR-77s (now called the SR-30), which are triple the price new ($1800).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search