The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
can u mix in protools on a laptop w/o an interface? Audio Interfaces
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

can u mix in protools on a laptop w/o an interface?

im tryin to figure out a way to bring mixes home from my studio and be able to mix them in PT on my mac without bringing the whole studio with me (interface). any way to fool protools or get around the problem of needing the interface plugged in before
PT boots up? I'm using PT M-Powered with an M-audio interface

thanks
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

buy an maudio transit. $70.00 will get you the cheapest pro tools rig around. I use mine for tuning/editing on the go. I don't think there is a way to "fool" pro tools into thinking there is an interface when in fact there is not. the transit is cool because you can go into or come out of it digitally, so you can use any 2 channel converters you want.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Whoa - never heard of this transit thing until now. Can I use that to launch PTLE sessions that I made with an 002 rack?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
Whoa - never heard of this transit thing until now. Can I use that to launch PTLE sessions that I made with an 002 rack?

No.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

when i was working at guitar center we were blowing those out for a dollar! The computer said that base cost was like $1Cent. management had devalued them to get them the heck out. i think i have a few somewhere. unless i threw them away.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
No.
you CAN open these sessions--with m powered pro tools. Which is extra. M powered sessions are interchangable with other pro tools rigs--your buddy and his 002, mbox, or whatever can open you sessions and vice versa...

even up to hd...
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Once upon atime you could, I am talking last century!!

Now, no. You have to have some type of PTLE-M-powered interface, and then you can only have upto 48 stereo tracks.

Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

OK.. so if I wanted to open up and work with my sessions while away from my 002 rack, I'd need an mbox or mbox mini for that. I've been keeping my eyes open for a used mbox mini based on a thread on this the other day. Sounds like I need to stick to that plan. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
OK.. so if I wanted to open up and work with my sessions while away from my 002 rack, I'd need an mbox or mbox mini for that. I've been keeping my eyes open for a used mbox mini based on a thread on this the other day. Sounds like I need to stick to that plan. Thanks.

Charlie

No, apparently I was incorrect. While you can't open an LE file you can apparently convert it to an mpowered file. So all you would need is the small maudio interface.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

My intern has one of those transits....Hummmmm city....maybe he got a bad one, or a good one!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search