The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Portico, CL 7602 Ramble... Single-Channel Preamps
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

Neve Portico, CL 7602 Ramble...

I have been looking to purchase a higher end pre for my collection to use for a home recorded/produced rock demo. It will be used for overdubbing everything including vocals, guitar, bass, etc, along with some lower end pres that I own.

Everything I have now is like prosumer $300 and under range stuff, ie an art pro channel, a joemeek3q, and the stock 003 pres.

I was looking for something a bit neve-ish with a DI, and after a bunch of research I kind of decided on the Chamelon Labs 7602 for like $750. This seems pretty cool and quite frankly $750 is just about my limit (has an eq too but not really needed in my case).

However, after some more research, I have discovered that for a couple hundred more ($250), you can really break into some higher quality built stuff (ie single channel Great river, neve portico etc).

After listening to a all of the $1000 single channel pre sound clips I have found I have come to the conclusion that they all sound really awsome. I cannot hear as much difference in them as some people claim, but thats probably due to my untrained ear. Its seems as if you can go wrong with any of them.

So whats a person to do....

Drop the $750 on the CL 7602 (or something else in that price range that I have missed)?

Ante up the extra $250 and get a real Neve unit (or GR etc)...
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear
Drop the $750 on the 7602.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Get the great river. Seriously, you will never sell it. I've heard from people I respect that the cl eq is really good, but the pre is so so and kinda 2d. I've heard many clips, and it always lacks the front to back that a great pre has. I owuld never buy it. I own the portico, and I love it, but I think the great river is a touch better (I had one in here for about 3 months).
Definitely get that and don't look back. ITB eqs have gotten pretty good, (I never track with eq anyway).

You can find the GR used for quite a bit less.
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

Its down to the GR mn1v or the portico 5016... it might come down to which I can get a better deal on.... any dealers out there reading??
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

The best thing about the CL pres is that they overdrive in a cool way... Crank up the input gain!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

[quote=traynor11;1444732]I was looking for something a bit neve-ish with a DI, and after a bunch of research I kind of decided on the Chamelon Labs 7602 for like $750. This seems pretty cool and quite frankly $750 is just about my limit (has an eq too but not really needed in my case).

However, after some more research, I have discovered that for a couple hundred more ($250), you can really break into some higher quality built stuff (ie single channel Great river, neve portico etc).

After listening to a all of the $1000 single channel pre sound clips I have found I have come to the conclusion that they all sound really awsome. I cannot hear as much difference in them as some people claim, but thats probably due to my untrained ear. Its seems as if you can go wrong with any of them.

So whats a person to do....

You say eq is not important-go great river if your focus is just a pre-amp..

CL7602 is good as broad musical eq - and is great as a broad mallet shaping tool especially for drums ie kick and toms.

It is a good pre for drums and guitar, but on vocals can sometimes be a little brittle/grainy. I have not used great river but have pacifica and the CL7602 is not as 3d and detailed as pacifica on vocals-and I would think great river is in same ballpark as pacifica in terms of depth and detail.

cheers

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Here are TWO reasons to buy the Great River:

1. You will never sell it and you will never need to, unless you wanna get the 2 channel later (and you will).

2. If you do need to sell it someday (to eat or something else life threatening), you will get more of your money back for it.

Someone said you can find the GR used for much less, but that's not been my experience. In searching eBay, I've found they go for about $125-$175 less than a new one....a bit cheaper if you find one that's not perfect cosmetically. This is normal for quality, professional gear. It holds it's value. Thus, even if you only want to use it for 1 project, buy a used one on eBay, use it for your record, then sell it on eBay for what you paid for it. It works. I've done it! LOL

jt burke
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Okay I'm going to shake things up a bit. I owned a Great River. I sold it. I bought a CL7602 to replace it. Heresy, I know. But I gained functionality with the EQ, and saved some money that I was able to spend on other stuff.

The Great River is a really nice preamp. You definitely won't hate it.

I modded my CL7602 by swapping out the mic input transformer. It is now a really nice preamp. It has a cool sounding and very useful EQ. It stays.

Brad
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Brad - which transformer did you swap in for the mic input on the 7602?

Tim
Old 22nd August 2007
I own the CL7602 and i've been getting great results with it on drums (kick/snare crank the input gain on snare and it get's that nice edgy grit), and guitar. When comparing it to the Vintech x73 i've been recording with at a local studio it lacks the depth of the x73. I'm guessing the x73 is in the same ballpark as the GR, and if you're only looking for a pre then go for the GR!!

I would also like to know which transformer you used. I've been thinking about modding one channel of mine and leaving the other stock to compare and post clips.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

i have heard someone mention swapping out the cl 7602 input transformers with a jlm audio model but just have not gotten that far...... i cannot remember the exact model of the jlm though 3114 possibly?????
Old 22nd August 2007
DRC
Lives for gear

I have the CL7602 and the Chandler LTD-1. Had I never heard the LTD-1, I would have thought the CL was the best thing I have used. It doesn't quite have the meat of the LTD-1, but is that meat worth another $1000? The EQ is pretty nice. It's missing points that I have on the LTD-1 but are those extra couple freq's worth an extra $1000?

I'm sure if ever get my hands on a real 1073 there is a chance that I will think the LTD-1 is lacking something. Trust me if you double and triple track guitars with the CL7602 it will sound pretty damn good in the context of the whole mix. Don't get too sucked into this disease known as "gearslutism." Because only VISA or Mastercard will come out of it unscathed.

Good luck.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Brad - which transformer did you swap in for the mic input on the 7602?

Tim
JLM Audio input transformer. He only makes one as far as I know. You have to buy two transformers and wire them up per the documentation for the 1290. Email Joe at JLM for more info.

Brad
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Cool man - thanks for the info!

Tim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search