The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressor under £99 Dynamics Processors (HW)
View Poll Results: Which Compressor
Phonic Micro V £49
0 Votes - 0%
Any Behringer comp (please specify)
0 Votes - 0%
Alesis 3630 £69
3 Votes - 17.65%
Tapco Squeez SQ-2 £69.99
0 Votes - 0%
Presonus Comp 16 £69.99
1 Votes - 5.88%
Samson CCom 16 £69
1 Votes - 5.88%
Samson CCom Opti £79
0 Votes - 0%
Samson SCom Plus £79
0 Votes - 0%
JOE MEEK 3Q
8 Votes - 47.06%
OTHER (please specify)
4 Votes - 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Compressor under £99

Hi. I'm looking for a compressor for my DMP3. I have an absolute maximum of £99 to spend. I will be using it mainly for vocals and occassionally bass. Ideally I'd like a different flavoured preamp aswell so I've included the Joe Meek 3Q because it has a compressor which I could send my DMP3 to.
I would like the compressor to be very simple to use as I've only used presets on VTS's and would prefer it to be half rack. I don't know if I need a smooth sound or character as I don't know what that sounds like.
At the end of the day sound quality is most important. Which would you recommend as being the best option for my needs? I would really value your opinions because I'm unable to get to a shop to here any because the nearest place is 200+ miles away.

Thanks
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

IMO don't buy any behringer, the alesis or the phonic. The others i don't know, but try to stay away from those, you're better off without a compressor..

IMO off course

Herwig
Old 18th August 2007
None of the compressors at this level sound any good at all. Virtually any software compressor is vastly better than these lot. Entry level useable compressor is probably the RNC.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

For the money, the RNC is pretty good. In the scheme of things, it's not bad, but for the money it can't be beat.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi. I've heard great things about the FMR RNC myself but it costs £195 in the UK which is way out of my budget.
I'm interested in the Joe Meek 3Q because I need another preamp (different colour to DMP3) aswell as a compressor ideally. How does the compressor on the 3Q compare to the ones I've listed?
Also, I've got the opportunity to get a 2nd hand M-Audio Tampa for £99. I've heard good things about the compressor on it but would imagine the preamp would be V similar to the M-Audio DMP3?
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

don't buy any of those ! waste of money !
keep saving for an RNC (absolute minimum that is usable)
of save more for a Summit TLA 50 (if you want some tubes)

listen to us slutz !
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Hi. I've heard great things about the FMR RNC myself but it costs £195 in the UK which is way out of my budget.
hmmm from Thomann you can get it for under £135!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala View Post
I would certainly go for that in that case..
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala View Post
Yeah but the warranties useless!

I've just seen a second hand Aphex 207D over here for the price of a new 3Q. I noticed that this has a MicLim feature which appears to prevent spikes from clipping the pre? Seeing as I'd only be using this for recording vocals and trying to eliminate those spikes from a couple of full on gospel singers would the Aphex 207D be a better bet than the 3Q?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm gonna agree with everyone else. Don't flush your money down the toilet.
Save up and get a compressor that is actually useful.
Old 19th August 2007
Both will be usable.

Allso check Ebay for homebuild compressors. They can be had for your budget.

Muziekschuur
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah but the warranties useless!

?
Why?
They give 3 years warranty and 1 month money back guarantee.
Where are you located??
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

If you're really strapped for cash, why not try eBay? I've had some amazing bargains there. I got a Drawmer LX20 for £60-odd quid and a Symetrix 425 for £35, both in perfect working order.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Why?
They give 3 years warranty and 1 month money back guarantee.
Where are you located??
I know so many people in the UK that have have real issues with Thomann about warranties for stuff they've bought and found that there's been loopholes and haven't been able to get stuff replaced etc.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know so many people in the UK that have have real issues with Thomann about warranties for stuff they've bought and found that there's been loopholes and haven't been able to get stuff replaced etc.
Wow. Never had one issue like that in the years I've been buying from them and I know LOADS of people that have spent money there..
Anyway if Thomann isn't for you, keep looking for a few pounds more. Under £100 is a really tight budget.
Old 19th August 2007
Quote:
Seeing as I'd only be using this for recording vocals and trying to eliminate those spikes from a couple of full on gospel singers would the Aphex 207D be a better bet than the 3Q?
you aren't getting it are you. These things do not sound nice. They will degrade the quality of your input. If you are concerned about spikes do not track as hot. If you are tracking at 24bit you can afford to track much much less hot. Work out where the highest spikes are and ensure they are below -6dbfs and then use a software compressor to even them out. Trust me, sound quality will improve. If you aren't willing to do this, practice riding the fader. If you buy the crap you are looking at you will regret it later.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

The 3Q is the best unit in your list, IMO. It does offer quite a good pre, and an analog EQ is always welcome in a plugin based studio.

The compressor is tricky to get a handle on as it really digs its heels in on most material, but set moderately and carefully it does a great job of taming dynamics.

I agree with the comments that if you are looking for just a compressor, the plugins will be more versatile and sound generally better. There are so many free compressor plugins that I use way more than my 3Q.

That being said, I am looking at a second one. It just sounds really good!
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Wow. Never had one issue like that in the years I've been buying from them and I know LOADS of people that have spent money there..
Anyway if Thomann isn't for you, keep looking for a few pounds more. Under £100 is a really tight budget.

I'm surprised to hear complaining about thomann too. I've gotten some high end stuff over there and can assure you that the service was very good. Once I bought a mic that I didn't care for and they took it back no questions asked.

I agree with everyone else, you won't get anything worthwhile under £100, the Rnc is a great little compressor that is worth every single penny.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies and info guys. The FMR RNC looks great but unfortunately it is out of my budget. I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with £99.
I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Joe Meek 3Q. It will be handy to have a different colour pre to my DMP3 and have the compressor and EQ to tame those occassional vocal peaks.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Just seen the ART Tubepac. Does anyone know how this compares to the 3Q?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Phonic Stereo T8200 Tube Optimizer

€166 on Thomann & its a great little multi-band comp for the money..otherwise if you cant get anymore cash together....get the Massey comp (CT4).
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and info guys. The FMR RNC looks great but unfortunately it is out of my budget. I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with £99.
I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Joe Meek 3Q. It will be handy to have a different colour pre to my DMP3 and have the compressor and EQ to tame those occassional vocal peaks.
You are better off sticking a compressor plugin in one of the inserts of the input channel inside your DAW.

Buying anything cheaper than an RNC is gonna be a waste of your money. Even though it will depend on what type of performance you are looking to get out of your choice.
If you still dont feel like waiting and saving up for an RNC, then you could pick virtually any of those that you listed, and I dont think it would make that big of a difference.

Think of it as if you were trying to choose between eating a rotten apple, a rotten orange, or a rotten banana. Which one of those would be the best to eat? None of them! They are all rotten!

The RNC is not only the best cheapest choice you can make in buying a compressor, but its also one of the best choices you can make in buying any compressor thats under $1000. I would put it amongst the top few compressors in the $1000 range.

Like I understand you dont have a lot to spend, and this is the "Low End Theory" section, but right now you are Limbo-ing as low as it gets and taking home the championship.

Do yourself a big favour and save up more money and get yourself something that you will be happy with for more than a couple of days. Its worth the wait....
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
You are better off sticking a compressor plugin in one of the inserts of the input channel inside your DAW.
Hi. I've never heard of this before. I have Cubase SX3 and am wondering how to do this?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

btw: A good friend (who knows his stuff) bought and RNC and thought it was extremely boring and not "really nice" so there you are. Nothing is for all people.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi. I've never heard of this before. I have Cubase SX3 and am wondering how to do this?
press F3 and your mixer shows up. There's all your inputs. Stick the plugin there
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
While in Cubase, bring up the mixer. To your far left you should see the input channel. You can easily varify this by having someone do a mic check while you see which one of the meters is moving.

Once you locate the input channel within the mixer view, you can add whatever plugins you want into the inserts, and those will be processed and recorded live along with the vocals.

If you have some good quality compressor and limiter plugins, I'd choose using that method over buying one of those compressors you listed.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw: A good friend (who knows his stuff) bought and RNC and thought it was extremely boring and not "really nice" so there you are. Nothing is for all people.
Thats a very good observation. Its actually renowned for being a very transparent compressor. Its for those who arent looking for extra character from a compressor, and just want it to do the job of taming a signal.
In regards to what it was made to do, it is "very nice" as you can actually add heavy loads of compression onto a signal in super nice mode and not suffer as nasty sounding a fate as you would with any other compressor around that price range.

So unfortunately, your friend didnt know enough to know about what he was getting into before he made that purchase, which lead him to not get what he was looking for out of it. He should have choosen something that was designed to impart more of a character to the sound, so it could add more color to his chain as desired.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

RNC...save up a little more (I know it's tough...I always want to buy now!) but the RNC will really help you out in the long run.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
...If you have some good quality compressor and limiter plugins, I'd choose using that method over buying one of those compressors you listed.

I don't like this method. There is no point in processing something on its way to the hard disk AFTER it has hit the AD converter. You have all the time in the world to make your mind and do that in the mix.
But if you are using an outboard unit BEFORE you hit the AD converter than there is some point in doing it.

Back to the point, save for a RNC or RNLA. Those are the entry level real compressors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search