The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with choosing gear for recording/mixing facility @home Condenser Microphones
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Help with choosing gear for recording/mixing facility @home

Hi guys.

I've been drooling over gear for long enough, have saved up about £5,000 (just under $10,000)

I already own an Intel Imac, Digi 003, some Adam A7's, Various synths/plugins etc..
I have a nice room and clients ready to record/mix/produce.

I'm looking to keep things clean and detailed, but with character.

I produce mainly acoustic, but sometimes indie/folky stuff.

I'll often be recording acoustic instruments and voice.. rarely drums etc.

I wanna get away from mixing entirely ITB..

I'm thinking of a Trident series 8T-16 + Meterbridge (£1600) for tracking and some mixing.. heard the preamps are good.. are they good enough?

Then I'm thinking of spending about £1800 on mics... Maybe a pair of AT4047's (£850 pair) and maybe a nice Tube LDC for Vox..
Over time a pair of SDC's like Oktava's or similar (around £300) will be added too..

Then maybe a pair of Vintech X73i's - (£1500) which I could use as Preamps and boutique eq's..

and maybe a couple of FMR rnc 1773's - (£270 pair) or something..

I doubt I will record more than 8 channels at once..

But I may need to get hold of an extra 8 channels od DAC to run through ADAT for mixing - but this will come in time..

Do I need to upgrade all my converters?

What you guys think? Good choices? What would you add/remove?

There's just so much choice out there!!

Cheers :-)
Old 18th August 2007
You ask if the preamps are good enough... only you can really answer that. Personally if you have a big focus acoustic instruments I might go for a DAV preamp and a pair of Gefell SDC's. And if you are tracking Indie bands I'd pick up an LDD in case you get a shouter. Maybe something like an SM7. Also I see you are going for a pair of 4047s. If you are set on a pair of LDCs (for micing instruments?) then make choices so they can double for vocaql duty. For example a Telefunken ak47 paired with an M16 or a Peluso 2247LE paired with a 2251 would cover the spectrum and would be great vocal mics. If the mics are just for your voice then you have got to try some out and see what works for you. You may well be sorry later if you buy something based on heresay and it simply doesnt work on your voice (it really does happen - had a young band in a couple of weeks ago and singer was awesome but had something wierd going on in the mids - none of my mics really nailed his voice.
Old 18th August 2007
wait... just been thinking about this...

Mixing OTB is only going to do something positive for the sound (and even this is controversial even in High End) if you have a great board and great converters (all conversion degrades the sound to some degree but the poorer the converters the worse the degrading). If you plan to do this you need great converters. Lynz Aurora probably needs to be your minimum requirement if not Mytek or Lavry. Are you talking about tracking everything separately and then bringing it all back out to mix? If so, converters are going to be v important. All that said, I don't know the board you are talking about but I'd be dubious that something at this pricepoint is going to be worth bringing the signal back out for even if you have Lavry Golds! IMO if you don't have a shed load of money to spend (and it doesn't sound like you do) you'll get better bang for your buck by getting the asbolutel best signal chain you can and staying ITB.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search