The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SRC2496 Audio Interfaces
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

Question SRC2496

Anybody have any luck slaving the Behringer SRC2496 to a better clock? I'm thinking about getting one and clocking it to my RME HDSP 9652.

Right now I'm using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, but I want to get away from the box with unbalanced cables (the Audiophile only has RCA connectors), and I figure that the converters of the SRC 2496 would actually sound better clocked to the RME (if it uses the same converters as the ADA8000) than the Audiophile sounds by itself.

Also, it doesn't mention anything about preamps on the XLR ins in the specs, so I assume that there aren't any, in which case, I would expect this configuration to sound better than the ADA8000, since you can't avoid the preamps on it.

(first post here, btw )
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Hi, the SRC2496 is very easy to clock externally. you have the choice of locking to a digital input or an external wordclock. i have used both successfully.
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

Actually, I was asking about what people thought of the sound quality. I already know I'm going to be slaving it to the RME's wordclock. But I guess you would be the guy to ask. What do you think of the SRC2496's conversion quality?
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

...that is, as opposed to Behringer's ADA8000? I'd like to save a little bit of money and avoid the ADA8000's preamps.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItSeffinga View Post
Actually, I was asking about what people thought of the sound quality. I already know I'm going to be slaving it to the RME's wordclock. But I guess you would be the guy to ask. What do you think of the SRC2496's conversion quality?
ok, sorry i only ever use it as a digital format converter (thats not too say it sounds bad, ive never needed the extra 2 inputs!)
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

Ah, thanks for the response. It seems like there aren't a lot of people that have used this for the A/D D/A conversion.

It's cheap enough, I guess I'll try it out and let you guys know what I think of the converters over those of the M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

I want to test it as objectively as possible so I think I'll record a few tracks onto my old Tascam Portastudio 488 MKII analog multitrack. Then I'll dub the tracks into Sonar via the Audiophile, then the SRC2496 as the master and then through the SRC2496 slaved to the RME's wordclock.

What do you think? Any other ideas anybody?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search