The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M-Audio Lightbridge + B ADA8000...monitors where? Headphone Amps
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Red face M-Audio Lightbridge + B ADA8000...monitors where?

Hey. I've decided to get an M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge and a Behringer ADA8000 preamp to run Pro Tools [M-Powered]. However, I just discovered a bit of a problem...where do I connect my monitors? They are KRK RP6s (XLR, 1/4" balanced output; RCA unbalanced output). I have an M-Audio 2496 soundcard in my PC.

So where would I connect the monitors? I noticed that the 2496 is compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered, so would I be able to select it as my audio output device? Is there somewhere to connect them on the Lightbridge or the ADA8000?

Please help. I'm very confused and would really appreciate a reply.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Profire has a stereo output that you could hook the monitors up to...
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Since Protools M/LE are kinda locked down applications, I'm guessing that you won't be able to use two interfaces. The Lightbridge actually has stereo out if I remember right. You can use that, or you can plug the monitors into the ADA8000 output. Either way, you'll likely want to use a better monitor controller like a Central Station or whatever for the volume. You'll have to use the lightbridge only.

The good side to all of this, is that you can then use the other audio card for another program like Logic or whatever to run beside protools if you wanted.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

In terms of monitor controls, like the Central Station you noted, I just can't afford that much more (I mean, I'm getting an ADA8000 for cryin out loud...I could've gotten a MOTU or something if I could ). Is there anything similar for $100 or less?

I did find this. Buy Behringer MINIMON MON800 Stereo Monitor Matrix Mixer online at Guitar Center Yes, another Behringer product, but for 1/12 of the Central Station. Could I run the output from the Lightbridge into the MON800's "mix in A" and go from "speakers out A" to my monitors?
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Also, will I be able to use the Lightbridge as the sound device in Windows [XP] so that all my computer sound will come out of monitors when connected to the Lightbridge/ADA8000?

Or, in conjunction w/ the MON800 I just posted, could I use the 2496 as the sound device in Windows and run it through the "cd/tape in C" so I don't have to leave my Lightbridge/ADA8000 unit on to get sound when I'm not using it?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMX_Dizzy View Post
In terms of monitor controls, like the Central Station you noted, I just can't afford that much more (I mean, I'm getting an ADA8000 for cryin out loud...I could've gotten a MOTU or something if I could ). Is there anything similar for $100 or less?

I did find this. Buy Behringer MINIMON MON800 Stereo Monitor Matrix Mixer online at Guitar Center Yes, another Behringer product, but for 1/12 of the Central Station. Could I run the output from the Lightbridge into the MON800's "mix in A" and go from "speakers out A" to my monitors?
To start with the M-Audio volume control should be fine really

Also, you should be able to use your 2496 card for windows sound and just have the profire for your M-Powered but I'm on a mac, so am not certain
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
To start with the M-Audio volume control should be fine really

Also, you should be able to use your 2496 card for windows sound and just have the profire for your M-Powered but I'm on a mac, so am not certain
Well, that's what I was saying kinda (maybe not...kinda confused myself). I'd like to keep my LB/ADA turned off when not in use, but then I couldn't get an sound from it OR my computer. That got me thinking about that MON800 b/c I could output both (the LB and the 2496) and be able to get computer sound w/o leaving the LB/ADA on.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

There's a Samson Monitor Control http://www.sweetwater.com/c417--Sams...tor_Management
Not the best thing in the world, but it would work. I use a mixer for my monitor volume. Again, not the best thing but when you got a budget, it'll work.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

How would I use a 4-channel headphone amp with that, and still be able to use that, my monitors, and 4 pairs of headphones?

EDIT: I suppose I could just use a Presonus HP4?
Old 19th August 2007
each ada8000 has 8 outputs along with the 8 inputs. should be plenty of ins & outs to route whatever you want wherever once you get the hang of how it interacts with yer soundcard. rtfm.
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

no reason that you wouldnt be able to use the lightbridge as your windows output...there is a program called MME (or MMR?)"____" that enables you to use your digi hardware as an output for almost any program.
you might have to experiment with the lightbridge control panel, because higher buffer settings can cause latency..not a big deal when listening to things from a media application, just a delay at the start, but it will through audio out of sync with video if you are watching a video, or playing a game.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Butnutz, from PDF, I assume?

So, when using the Lightbridge as the Windows sound device, there might be latency...but is it possible to get around it, or will it be given that there's latency when using the Lightbridge?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search