The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Joe Meek 3Q vs M-Audio Tampa Channel Strips
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Joe Meek 3Q vs M-Audio Tampa

Hi. I'm looking for a preamp with compressor to add to compliment DMP3. I've been offered a M-Audio Tampa for £99 2nd hand which is the same price as the 3Q new.
Which of these pres has the best audio quality? I noticed the Tampa has a few more features than the 3Q which I won't need so I'd purely like to base this on sound.
I mainly need pres for Vocals. I also sometimes record Acou/Elec Guitar and Acou/Elec Bass. All the rest of my sounds are VSTi's (eZdrummer etc.)
Old 17th August 2007
I love my Tampa on vocals, the compression is wonderful, and almost always neccesarry at least a touch just to prevent peaking... It's a warm sound, with a rather clear top, but it's not thick unfortunately...

I do love the Joe Meek stuff, but I liked the Tampa a touch more than the 3Q
Old 14th November 2007
Lives for gear

bump... I'm curious about the Tampa, too.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

I have a Tampa and other Joe meek stuff (not a 3Q) but a TwinQ and a VC1Q...honestly to me all three units sound completely different in all ways....they all have different flavors as preamps, their compressors all sound different, and the meeks i own have eq (the tampa doesnt). Honestly I like all three and have no complants, although I like the way the Meeks are setup better, feels like a slightly better build quality (not much though).

I like the twinQ on drums the most.
I like the VC1Q on vocals the most.
I like the TAMPA on bass DI the most.

Although honestly in every session I try them on different instruments in different situations with different mics....so sorry my answer was slightly vague....so heres what i think overall...i think the tampa is a better option then the 3Q...but overall id say id like it alittle (only a little) less then the other meeks I own.
Old 15th November 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks... I've got a 3Q which is my main vocal/bass preamp... but I've been thinking of upgrading at least a bit, and thought the Tampa might be a good option, given some of the discussion I've seen here. All this talk of bricks could sway me in the end, however.
Old 16th November 2007
Lives for gear

Yea really depends on what kinda sound your going for and how many channels you want....ive said this in another post check out some used ART MPAs on ebay...they go for about 200...and if you swap the tubes to some non chinese ones you get 2 channel of pretty kick ass sound...for less then the brick will run you for one. Plus its a nice rack unit and its well constructed. But thats my opinion....others will disagree...and tell you ART stuff sucks so....ehhh your call.

Tampa isnt a bad call either though...

Either way enjoy whatever you get.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search