The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good preamps for drums. Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Good preamps for drums.

Hey guys and gals,

looking for some good/very good preamps for drums. I've noticed that not all preamps are good for drums. The problem with some of the pre's are the transient times. Can someone explane that to me? I do not seem to understand completely what that means.

I just want to make a very neutral/raw recording. (fe Pearl Jam, ...)

I thought that Avalon had some good pre's, but they seem to be slow (again those transient times).

API and Daking was recommended.

Budget 5000 euro, and I want at least pre's for 6 mics.

Please some input of what to and what NOT to buy!

And btw I searched.

Kind regards!

Sam
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

UA 8110 - awesome
SSL Xlogic - top of the pop
Audient ASP 008 - very good
SPL Gainstation 8 - not my type but good
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

If you can solder (or know someone who can do it for you) check out the Seventh Circle Audio Pre's.
As soon as studio construction starts here, I'm getting me 6 API's and 2 Neves I already have neutral preamps). I don't know how much import taxes are going to be yet (anyone knows where to find that ?) but should be way under your €5k budget.

These are only preamps, mind you, not channel strips.

hope this helps,
Herwig
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
If you can solder (or know someone who can do it for you) check out the Seventh Circle Audio Pre's.
As soon as studio construction starts here, I'm getting me 6 API's and 2 Neves I already have neutral preamps). I don't know how much import taxes are going to be yet (anyone knows where to find that ?) but should be way under your €5k budget.

These are only preamps, mind you, not channel strips.

hope this helps,
Herwig
API, that 500VPR box + 6 pre's (512) cost me 5800.

The Audient seems really cheap! (in a good way) 1400 euro's! Eh

Can someone explain me, what that transient time is?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

pm1000
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

overall API is the best for the money,

Mike Vick You are one of the best to play the game but " Stay away from my Dog "
Old 17th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

The Daking stuff delivers killer drum tracks, 4 preamps at just over $2k...?

Silly deal.

War
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

What is your opinion about Daking? It's affordable and they say it sounds very nice.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Guru

Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

API pres are a killer on drums. Get two 3124s, 8 channels of API pre's. It'll cost you 'bout 5000 bucks.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwagner View Post
API pres are a killer on drums. Get two 3124s, 8 channels of API pre's. It'll cost you 'bout 5000 bucks.
Completely agree. I would also venture into getting a neve type pre as well. For $5000 for 6 channels I would go API 3124 and an Aurora GTQ2. I have the 3124 and plan on getting 2 GTQ2's in the future. I can capture a kit with my 3124 alone (kick, snare & OH's) and use my FF800's pre's for toms and it sounds great. Or if you are feeling slutty Aurora Audio also has the GTP8 8 channel pre for $5000. Shadow Hills as well.

Choices... Choices.....
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

to answer your questing about transients....

transients = changes in SPL

preamps/mics with a fast response react quickly to SPL changes, which is what gives them their "punchy" character

preamps with a slow response will often sound more "warm", or rounded-off, because the change in SPL isn't being recognized by the circuitry as fast as it's actually happening
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
to answer your questing about transients....

transients = changes in SPL

preamps/mics with a fast response react quickly to SPL changes, which is what gives them their "punchy" character

preamps with a slow response will often sound more "warm", or rounded-off, because the change in SPL isn't being recognized by the circuitry as fast as it's actually happening
Oh, ok, now i get it completely! Thank you very much!
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

API thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSites View Post
Hey guys and gals,

looking for some good/very good preamps for drums. I've noticed that not all preamps are good for drums. The problem with some of the pre's are the transient times. Can someone explane that to me? I do not seem to understand completely what that means.

I just want to make a very neutral/raw recording. (fe Pearl Jam, ...)

I thought that Avalon had some good pre's, but they seem to be slow (again those transient times).

API and Daking was recommended.

Budget 5000 euro, and I want at least pre's for 6 mics.

Please some input of what to and what NOT to buy!

And btw I searched.

Kind regards!

Sam
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
The Daking stuff delivers killer drum tracks, 4 preamps at just over $2k...?

Silly deal.

War
I think in bang for buck, the Daking Mic-Pre IV is amazing. I don't own one yet, but a buddy of mine has one and it's very impressive. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a power switch. Since preamps tend to run hot, I think a power switch is important, but he just uses a separate surge protector as a make-do power switch.

Other than that, it rocks. Four channels for the usual cost of two.

Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Check out a Sytek MPX-4Aii. You can get 2 of them for less than $1800 US and have 8 seperate channels. Get one of them with the Burr Browns so you'll have 2 channels for vox. Link's below. Good luck. thumbsup

Sytek Audio Systems
Old 18th August 2007
+1 for API or Daking.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Clearly API wins!

And only the 3124+ is suitable? Are those "lunch boxes" good?
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

I have not heard the new Dakings but from what i gather, both are aggressive, Daking is just cleaner and the 3124 had great mid punch.

Mike Vick. You are one of the best to play the game but " Stay away from my Dog "
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Clearly API wins!

And only the 3124+ is suitable? Are those "lunch boxes" good?
Yes! Those Lunchboxes are awesome, but they're more expensive than two 3124+s. That's why I suggested it. It's a great solution if you want different flavours. Get 3 API 512s, 2 Purple Bizzes and A-design P-1 for example. But It'll cost you much more then the 2 API 3124+s.

choices, choices, choices......

cheers,
Peter
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

API and MILLENNIA!!!!!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes! Those Lunchboxes are awesome, but they're more expensive than two 3124+s. That's why I suggested it. It's a great solution if you want different flavours. Get 3 API 512s, 2 Purple Bizzes and A-design P-1 for example. But It'll cost you much more then the 2 API 3124+s.

cheers,
Peter
Ok. I'll start with the following. Tell me if you see some holes in my list.
API 3124+
Sennheiser Headphones
Yamaha NS10 Monitors
K&MStands (4x)
AKG C414 (2x) (Overheads)
AKG Solidtube (kick out)
Shure Beta91 (kick in)
Shure SM57 (snare bottom)
I allready have a superduper pc (dualcore, 2GB ram, HD galore, graphics galore, nice 20" wide lcd).

I have an Beta57 (snare top), Beyerdynamic Opus 53 (x2), Opus 87 (x3), Opus 65.

I have a Tascam fw1082 and Nuendo 3.2 (newest edition).

I'm starting with one pre just to get the hang of it. Total budget is 7500 euro, so I exagerated a little with the 5000 euro for pre's. With all those mics and pre, etc I'm at 6800 euros.

Next things are 2 Neumann u87i's and another api pre.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Guru

Again, I want the new Daking preamps, just don't want to empty my wallet yet, but maybe i can within the next 6 months or so. just want other flavors to have in the rack.

Mike Vick You are one of the best to play the game but " Stay away from my Dog "
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok. I'll start with the following. Tell me if you see some holes in my list.
API 3124+
Sennheiser Headphones
Yamaha NS10 Monitors
K&MStands (4x)
AKG C414 (2x) (Overheads)
AKG Solidtube (kick out)
Shure Beta91 (kick in)
Shure SM57 (snare bottom)
I allready have a superduper pc (dualcore, 2GB ram, HD galore, graphics galore, nice 20" wide lcd).

I have an Beta57 (snare top), Beyerdynamic Opus 53 (x2), Opus 87 (x3), Opus 65.

I have a Tascam fw1082 and Nuendo 3.2 (newest edition).

I'm starting with one pre just to get the hang of it. Total budget is 7500 euro, so I exagerated a little with the 5000 euro for pre's. With all those mics and pre, etc I'm at 6800 euros.

Next things are 2 Neumann u87i's and another api pre.

I don't know man, there's a little craziness going on with your list. Are the mics you listed at the top of your post what you're going to buy? A solid tube for FOK? And 2 U87's? If you're going to get ns10's and you don't have any other monitors you may want to look into a sub or something. Those ns10's aren't going to give you the lowend you're gonna need. The 2 414's will come in handy though.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

API
A-Designs
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
I don't know man, there's a little craziness going on with your list. Are the mics you listed at the top of your post what you're going to buy? A solid tube for FOK? And 2 U87's? If you're going to get ns10's and you don't have any other monitors you may want to look into a sub or something. Those ns10's aren't going to give you the lowend you're gonna need. The 2 414's will come in handy though.
Yeah, from the api => sm57, that's the list I'm going to buy.

I heard that the Solidtube was very good for FOK. What are you sugessting I use? A neumann?

What are you suggesting for the monitors? (suppose I don't buy a sub)

I wanted those 2 neumanns for overheads and I'd use those c414's for roommics.
Yeah, I def want those 414's.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

api 3124 : kick in-out-front, snare top
audient asp-8 : toms, bottoms
cranesong flamingo : OH

yamaha subkick or selfmade 15" woofer (for ooooomph !)
md421 : toms
c414 : OH
kms 105 : snare
57 beta : bottom
akg d112 + sm91 beta : kick
sm98 beta : snare rim

sennheiser hd-25 (best headphone for drums)

NOT : ns-10 (ok for vocal mix, not for drums)
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

That sounds superb StudioTinPanAll. But supose I only want to record with four/five mics. That list - no complaints - but is 3 times my budget or so.

Mhm, hd25 ... Euhm ... I'd like to have monitors. I'm not going to mix only drums. Genelec's?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

AT-4047 is a real good front of kik mic (and other things as well) and it won't break the bank.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmax View Post
Check out a Sytek MPX-4Aii. You can get 2 of them for less than $1800 US and have 8 seperate channels. Get one of them with the Burr Browns so you'll have 2 channels for vox. Link's below. Good luck. thumbsup

Sytek Audio Systems

With All due Respect ... these pres a not good on Drums . Too clean and not enough headroom.

Quote:

cheers,
Peter
Good choices ... I would Add Eisen Audio Pres to the list also ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search