The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good preamps for drums. Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

why you've tried them on drums?? I hear so much mixed reviews about the sytek I'd give anything to try one out...

Noone has them around here though that I know of. How would they compare to say presonus digimax pre's or the pre's in a 002???

I was thinking of using the two clean on overheads with my 4050's and the bur brown channels on toms. Would i get a cleaner, more detailed sound or are they along the same quality?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Ive not only tried them but owned them as well for nearly 2 years ... Drums are something the Sytek's do not do well.

Syteks are MUCH better than the pres in the 002 and I have not used the Digimax

as far as the Presonus go ... I like the mp20 and M80 ( no longer made I think ). get them with the jensen Transformers if youcan fine.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSites View Post
Ok. I'll start with the following. Tell me if you see some holes in my list.
API 3124+
Sennheiser Headphones
Yamaha NS10 Monitors
K&MStands (4x)
AKG C414 (2x) (Overheads)
AKG Solidtube (kick out)
Shure Beta91 (kick in)
Shure SM57 (snare bottom)
I allready have a superduper pc (dualcore, 2GB ram, HD galore, graphics galore, nice 20" wide lcd).

I have an Beta57 (snare top), Beyerdynamic Opus 53 (x2), Opus 87 (x3), Opus 65.

I have a Tascam fw1082 and Nuendo 3.2 (newest edition).

I'm starting with one pre just to get the hang of it. Total budget is 7500 euro, so I exagerated a little with the 5000 euro for pre's. With all those mics and pre, etc I'm at 6800 euros.

Next things are 2 Neumann u87i's and another api pre.
With all that fancy gear, don't forget about the room. Maybe you've already got that sorted (and forgive me for pointing out the "obvious" if you've already got this sorted), but it sounds to me like you are speccing out a new studio setup, yes? This is something that a lot of people completely overlook when planning a new studio.

Unless you've got a fabulous sounding, purpose-built room that all this stuff is going into, you will need to leave some room in your budget for acoustics treatment. Whether you go with commercial solutions or DIY, you will NEED bass trapping in most any room to get great, natural sounding drum recordings. If your room isn't up to snuff, you won't even get to reap the benefits of sinking a bunch of money into top end mics and pres (in which case you might as well get a Smackie mixer and use those pres ). ;-) First rule of thumb -- You gotta get the sound right at the source if you want a great recording!

All that said . . . I've always been partial to the APIs on drums. Would love to try the Dakings, though.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

I think there are much bigger gains to be had for the cash than blowing it on Neumanns. 414s make super usable OHs.

+1 on the Subkick, or home made alternative.

Get a selection of "character" snare top mics - don't have to be expensive (buy a red5 RV6 for snare, seriously) - so you can pick and choose one that suits the snare. Personally I wouldn't get NS10s to mix drums on (unless you're irritatingly good) - go for something with more bottom end. Second hand HR624s maybe? They should be dropping in price soon with the mk2s coming out.

Scott speak the truth - you HAVE to have a good (or at least neutral) sounding room if you want a versatile drum recording setup.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Just a note,

I bought a pair of Sennheiser H595 headphones cuz I wanted top notch cans, right? Paid $250 for these things

They took a dump on me within weeks. I thought it was me because I was starting out learning how to track. I thought it was my levels. Drove me crazy how I was getting buzz in one ear. Now it doesn't even work.

I can't wait to through these things out.
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwagner View Post
API pres are a killer on drums. Get two 3124s, 8 channels of API pre's. It'll cost you 'bout 5000 bucks.
+1 most definitely

The lunchboxes are great and very versatile, but as said, a bit more pricey...
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for pointing out [email protected] But my room is excellent! Believe me! 12 long, 6m wide and 3m high. It's got a really nice sound!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Sam
Old 22nd August 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSites View Post

I thought that Avalon had some good pre's, but they seem to be slow (again those transient times).
Avalon, "slow" ? The compressor (737sp) yes, the pre, no...
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

the pres in the 002 are really bad, almost anything decent will be better. My current fav. on drums is the Brent Averill API 312 remakes. They have the API sound but are a bit more open in the top, great for just about anything and pretty cheap for a 500 series module. Check them out.
Old 22nd September 2007
I'll cast my vote for API also...
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Addict

As soon as I have $5000, I'm going to get an API 3124 and an A-designs Pacifica. Six channels of goodness. I already have a CL 7602 and an SSL X-Logic Alpha Channel, so I'll have 8 total.

I think the 3124 is definitely the way to go for drums. I hear the Pacifica is good all around.
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Addict

What do you thing about the vintech 473???
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

API!

For kick, I prefer either D112, RE20 or D6....depending on the genera of rock.

I always found 414's to have a lot of top.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Head

+1 for the SCA pre's

5 flavours to choose from in 1 box (neve, Api, transformer, transformerless, etc etc.) You can get 8 channels and have a few $ to spare for some mics or something.

Seventh Circle Audio

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search