The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp up to 500 Euro Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 17th August 2007

Preamp up to 500 Euro

Hi, which one of these two candidates would you choose? SPL Goldmike 9844 (two channels, 400 Euro) or TL Audio Ivory II 5050 (one channel, 500 Euro)? Will be connected to audio interface like Mackie Onyx 400F or MBox 2 Pro... need only one good channel for vocals.

Any other candidates in that price area worthy considering?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd take the Goldmike over the TL Audio. I don't mind some TL Audio gear, but the Ivory range never did it for me at all.
The Goldmike for the money however is a great value unit and as good as anything in that price EASILY.
As for others, there must be some, but I can't think of any. I'm sure someone else will have thoughts on that.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

solo

Get a UA solo 610... for a bit more (around $799.97 + FREE Shipping - it's worth the safe). It can be clean or have that nice tube sound/slight to ultra distort... It's the BEST!!!

You could use it with a RNC compressor (pretty clean (and I like the combination with the not so clean solo) and not even $200)

This is a nice option.

M.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
Get a UA solo 610... for a bit more (around $799.97 + FREE Shipping - it's worth the safe). It can be clean or have that nice tube sound/slight to ultra distort... It's the BEST!!!

You could use it with a RNC compressor (pretty clean (and I like the combination with the not so clean solo) and not even $200)

This is a nice option.

M.
I agree it's nice, but over here it is 800 euros as opposed to 400 for the SPL. Quite a difference and the SPL is an excellent preamp still.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a dual channel TC Electronic 2240. This has a 2x good preamps with 2 channels of high quality EQ. 4 band parametric, which can be bypassed.
The EQ is very good. Im selling for £235 if your interested.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

i´d rather save some money or buy it used:

UA 610
UA 110
spl channel one
spl gain station
apogee mini mp
mindprint envoice
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd go for the SPL Goldmike aswell. I've used these quite a few times and it's a very good preamp! I recently bought a DMP3 for myself and this little pre has really surprised me. I've found that on the stuff I've done so far I've prefered it to the Goldmike. I know quite a few people who used to own the Goldmike and replaced it with the ART MPA Gold and prefer the ART. Also, you could check out these pres in your price range - Rane MS-1b, FMR RNP and M-Audio Tampa if you can find one.
Old 17th August 2007

Thanks everybody for the answers!

eddierodriguez, the stuff you mentioned is above my price range, sadly... if I had the money, I would buy the SPL Gainstation immediatly.

RobJB06, thanks for the offer... well, I never heard about that TC 2240, and could not find any info on it on TC's internet site. Is it a discontinued product maybe?

All in all, I start to lean strongly towards the SPL Goldmike 9844. I remember that not too many years ago it was about 1000 Euro new, and now it's down to 400, I think since Goldmike Mk2 is out.

I ever used a TL Ivory II 5050 for my vocals, but I was not so sure about the sound because it was probably the best part of my recording chain then. I used a T.Bone SC1100 LDC mic, they were 200 Euro Chinese mics from Thomann (now you get them even for 170 Euro), and the TLA pre went into a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496. I think with a proper mic (thinking about AT4047, AT 4050 or Rode NT2-A, NT2000 or K2), even the Mackie Onyx alone might already be better than that combination...
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

well, i think that the onyx pre´s are equal to the goldmike.

believe me or not, but goldmike and other same-class-pres are not better sounding than most included pres in mixers and interfaces. some pres have more settings, but they´re not that important in most situations.

and the tube-stages are completely useless in that price range.

my 2 cents
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
believe me or not, but goldmike and other same-class-pres are not better sounding than most included pres in mixers and interfaces. some pres have more settings, but they´re not that important in most situations.
I don't know about that. Once you start stacking tracks, I can definitely hear a difference.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Depending on the sound you want, I would say PM-1000s racked up. Still amazed at how cheap you can have them for.
Old 18th August 2007

PM-1000? These channel strips from the Yamaha Neve-clone-style console?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search